Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

why doomguy got in trouble

after reading a recent thread in FF, i started to wonder.

we all know that doomguy was shipped to mars not long after assulting his superior officer for ordering his troops to fire on civilians.

i always figured it was in a time of war, similar to this second gulf war, with a bunch of normal people in a crowd that the superior officer suspected of being gurilla soldiers. or something like that.

what did you guys think?

I always figured the same. I'm going to put one hell of a twist on it when I make my Doom comic I never got around to making, though.

No, I think the doomguy would not assault a superior officer who made an honest mistake in a judgement call like that while under pressure. It would have been something clearly wrong and wholly ill-motivated.

Or maybe it's just a crappy story written in half an hour that shouldn't be analysed too deeply. ;)

Grazza said:

No, I think the doomguy would not assault a superior officer who made an honest mistake in a judgement call like that while under pressure. It would have been something clearly wrong and wholly ill-motivated.

Or maybe it's just a crappy story written in half an hour that shouldn't be analysed too deeply. ;)

heh, what's the fun if you can't anayze this? :P
besides, if my superior officer was being stupid, i'd rather get court martialed or go to levanwerth(s/p) than live with the guilt of killing inocent people. everybody i kill has to deserve it :P

Ichor said:

Sounds almost like the beginning of Running Man.

That part of the Doom backstory was probably also inspired by The Running Man.

I agree with the first poster, it somehow "feels" better that it was during a war situation of sorts. It seems weird to me that the military is sent in to deal with a riot - that's the police's job and the military is only involved in riots if it's on a peace keeping mission (and the riots they're up against are usually of the more aggressive types) - I doubt highly trained elite troops are sent in to deal with riots - that's for the regular infantry if anything.

dsm said:
I doubt highly trained elite troops are sent in to deal with riots - that's for the regular infantry if anything.

Well, I happened to justify this (along with the infamous word TAGGART) in deimoslab storyline.

I was once thinking of writing a Doom fanfic which followed the games. It was going to start out with a large protest againt the UAC at their headquarters in downtown Dallas, Texas (or some other Texas city). You see, the Earth governments at the time are thuroughly corrupted by the corporations which basicaly run the show and are able to rent out military troops for muscle. And so we have these marines out there providing a blockade against these protesters (who are protesting against everything from the UAC damaging the environment to massive layoffs to unsafe/unethical technology testing *wink wink*). The Officer in charge, a bastard of no small reknown, is berating the crowd, even taunting them while he orders his men to hold them back. Eventualy, someone gets pissed enough to toss a rock at him which doesnt hurt him through his power armor, but pissed him off royaly. He then orders the lieutenant of the platoon there (Mr. Doomguy himself) to open fire on the crowd. Being a man of some degree of ethics, he refuses. The officer, fuming, walks up and decks him and he defends himself. This results in the Doomguy being toted away and the officer promoting a new lieutenant who gladly carries out the order, resulting in about sixty civilian casualties. Doomguy gets sent to Mars and the plot commences...

the_Danarchist said:

You see, the Earth governments at the time are thuroughly corrupted by the corporations which basicaly run the show

Hmm...sound familiar?

It could've been like the start of Con Air, where he kills someone in self defence and the courts (typically) see it all wrong, only he gets a few years on Mars instead of prison.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Hmm...sound familiar?

Political satire through sci-fi/fantasy. The oldest trick in the book.

Coopersville said:

anti-war protecters[...]
too violent and relentless to be dispatched by Riot Police.

Slightly off topic - there's something about this that doesn't sound right.
How can you be anti-war and then violent? Seems to defeat the purpose somewhere if you ask me.

dsm said:

How can you be anti-war and then violent? Seems to defeat the purpose somewhere if you ask me.

I could believe it, myself. People aren't always very smart or logical.

dsm said:

Well, there are two kinds of people that attend large protests:
1) People that really believe in what's being said
2) People who don't care about the protest and just want to start a fight

Group 2 is always over-represented. They are the cause of every single protest riot you ever hear about.

the_Danarchist said:
It was going to start out with a large protest againt the UAC at their headquarters in downtown Dallas, Texas (or some other Texas city).

Actually, that would've been quite cheesy; the UAC works in outer space and it doesn't feel or sound like the doomguy had anything to do with it before being shipped off of Earth to Mars. The UAC is presented as a corporation that works at the space forntier; its being presented as ubiquitous has to do with the fact that the UAC textures were used only almost every tech-style PWAD ever made as well as for DOOM II (rather inconsistently.)

Had the doomguy felt the UAC had a bad reputation from the start it would have been clear enough in the intro story.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I meant 'sound familiar' as in the world right now.

Which is exactly what I meant as well.

the_Danarchist said:

Political satire through sci-fi/fantasy. The oldest trick in the book.

(sarcasm)nooooooooooooooo, that's not true, no sci fi writers do that. mr. heinlein never did that!(/sarcasm)