Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord Raffles

Making the Player Taller

No, changing height will only change the height boundary.

I think you're asking if the visual POV can be made taller. For this..I don't know.

A few ports have a camera (or view) height command. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the 'viewheight' command in Legacy.

Lord Raffles said:

Is it possible to make the Player seem taller With Dhacked so you stand taller in the game?

If your question is stemming from the comparative heights between the player and your Wehrmacht and other enemy sprites (to which you provided this link) there may be another solution. You can scale your enemies down without a perceptible reduction in resolution using ZDooM's scale feature.

Rex's solution is the one I'd go for. Some ports do have a specific instruction to alter the player POV height (see the D64 TC), but to answer your question, you can change the player height using dehacked (changing the height will make a difference to things like the height of corridors you can walk down, and how easily you can be hit), but the view height will remain the same regardless of whether you make the player 1 or 1000 units tall.

ReX said:

If your question is stemming from the comparative heights between the player and your Wehrmacht and other enemy sprites (to which you provided this link) there may be another solution. You can scale your enemies down without a perceptible reduction in resolution using ZDooM's scale feature.

Ah, so technically one could have a greater depth of detail and the engine will scale it down?

Lord Raffles said:
Could one also have much larger enemies (say 200 pixles high) and have the Zdoom engine scale them down?

Yes.

Lord Raffles said:

Could one also have much larger enemies (say 200 pixles high) and have the Zdoom engine scale them down?

I assume you mean "scale them down without a loss in resolution". Mordeth's answer still stands.

ReX said:

I assume you mean "scale them down without a loss in resolution". Mordeth's answer still stands.

Then it's "Springtime for Hitler & Germany"! :P!

You use a dehacked patch. In the section for the thing you want to scale you enter a scale number. 1 is normal size. Less than 1 is smaller (and hi rez) greater than 1 is bigger (and lower rez).

Not, this only affects the size the sprites are displayed, not the actual size of the thing. Try the following:

copy and paste this into a text file and load it with this command

zdoom -deh filename

Play doom and see some half size zombiemen

Copy everything after this...

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 2 (Trooper)
Scale = 0.5

Enjay said:

You use a dehacked patch. In the section for the thing you want to scale you enter a scale number. 1 is normal size. Less than 1 is smaller (and hi rez) greater than 1 is bigger (and lower rez).

Not, this only affects the size the sprites are displayed, not the actual size of the thing. Try the following:

copy and paste this into a text file and load it with this command

zdoom -deh filename

Play doom and see some half size zombiemen

Copy everything after this...

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Thing 2 (Trooper)
Scale = 0.5

Tried all this and yet to no avail. Had no effect at all. Are you sure theres a scale command for dehacked and zdoom???

Enjay said:

zdoom -deh filename

Nigel didn't mention this, but you can insert your DEHACKED patch into your ZDooM wad as a lump, and then it will automatically load up every time you play the wad.

Lord Raffles said:

Are you sure theres a scale command for dehacked and zdoom???

Yes. As a matter of fact, I used this feature to good effect in some recent work that I did -- and I did it upon Nigel's suggestion.

Trust me. If Nigel suggests something with regard to DEHACKED and ZDooM you can safely bet that it will work.

AgentSpork said:

A few ports have a camera (or view) height command. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the 'viewheight' command in Legacy.

This has some restrictions though. I was able to use it for Blake Stone, but Boingo wasn't able to utilize it for his 2x sprites.

Lord Raffles said:

Tried all this and yet to no avail. Had no effect at all. Are you sure theres a scale command for dehacked and zdoom???

Well, unless you are using an old version of Zdoom. Zdoom 1.22 does not support this, but any of the versions from the last 2 years or so do support it.

BTW, I tested that patch before I posted it, and it works fine.

When you run with zdoom -deh filename.ext as soon as Zdoom starts, bring down the console and look at the information printed there. If the words "Patch installed" are not there (probably after information about screen resolution) then you have not successfully loaded the patch.

Remember to either put the file in your Zdoom directory, or else you will have to type a full path name to the file on the command line too.

ReX brings up a good point - the DEHACKED lump. I wasn't going to mention it until we'd got past the first hurdle. :-)

Yes, you can include your dehacked file inside a wad as a lump called DEHACKED and Zdoom will read it. Doom (and therefore Zdoom) also has the ability to load any lumps it recognises the name and format of from the command line. So, if you are having difficulty loading your file using the -deh parameter, you can copy the stuff from my other post, save it in a file called DEHACKED.TXT and load it with

Zdoom -file dehacked.txt

And it should work just fine.

Oh and thanks for boosting my ego ReX :-)

AgentPork: Can you give me some more info on that 'viewheight' command under Legacy? I could REALLY use it, sux having to play with a damn midget.

XDelusion said:

AgentPork

XD

but anyway, why do you need to scale the enemies down? just scaled the enemies down maybe .75 :D

and playgin with a midget? what do you mean? did you screw up your view? :P i think the defualt is 1...

I am using Legacy, and I don't know how to screw up my view yet...
...as for scaling the ememies, that and rescaling all of the level design I have done over the last few months is not an option I have th patience, or time to do. Besides if you compare DOOM, and the original Unreal (the best yet well Return To Na Pali that is), they view height is not set at a realistic level unlike many other FPS's I have played, and I have played PLENTY since that and RPG's have became my tonic of choice.

Anyhow, Porkman, when you drop back by, please educate me, I've tossed this idea around in the Legacy concept proposal bin, but no once told me that it was a feature that already exsisted in the code!!! :(

XDelusion said:

I am using Legacy, and I don't know how to screw up my view yet...
...as for scaling the ememies, that and rescaling all of the level design I have done over the last few months is not an option I have th patience, or time to do. Besides if you compare DOOM, and the original Unreal (the best yet well Return To Na Pali that is), they view height is not set at a realistic level unlike many other FPS's I have played, and I have played PLENTY since that and RPG's have became my tonic of choice.

Anyhow, Porkman, when you drop back by, please educate me, I've tossed this idea around in the Legacy concept proposal bin, but no once told me that it was a feature that already exsisted in the code!!! :(

]
its time to move to zdoom :D

and i think is spork :P

ZDOOM's kool, but once again the project is already started and built upont Legacy, thus there is NO turning back now. I really feel inclined to experiment with ZDOOM as I have not seen many people do anything too substantial with the slope effects yet, and have a few ideas kicking around that I'd LOVE to apply, but on a sad note ZDOOM does not suppport 3D floors in the respect that Legacy does, so that really bums me out, who ever has the 3D floors and slopes first will have my undivided attention...

...well once this Starwars Legacy project is wrapped up anyhow.

Spork? Can you eat pork with that!?!?

To change viewheight in Legacy, type this in the console:

viewheight x

x can be anywere from 24 (I think?) to 56. You won't shoot over things since you see higher, but you'll be able to see over some walls. I think they limited it to 24-56 to prevent cheating.

Default value is 41 by the way.

XDelusion said:

I have not seen many people do anything too substantial with the slope effects yet...

The dome roofed buildings in ReX's "Darkest Hour" are reason enough for slopes to exist IMO.

KZdoom7 (it was 7 - right?) made very good use of them too.

my new map uses slopes heavily :D so slopes are a very big part of zdoom.

XDelusion said:

Spork? Can you eat pork with that!?!?

well, it is a spoon and a fork put togehter, so i would say yes :P :D

Nanami: Thankx man! BTW there does not seem to be a height limit. I even set it as low as 10 so far. :)

I've spent many moments drooling over Rex's domes (are you a size D Rex?!?), I did not say that no one was using the slopes wisely, I just said not many, there are definatly some good examples out there!

XDelusion said:

Nanami: Thankx man! BTW there does not seem to be a height limit. I even set it as low as 10 so far. :)

Eh, maybe they changed it in more recent versions.