Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord Raffles

Making the Player Taller

Too bad Vavoom is funky, and has broken Strife support, or rather a Strife guy whos legs are always stuck in the floor, and who can't talk to the NPC's.

I'll look into it.

Yeh, I think it also has lightmaps. Heh, it's actually kinda sad that what appears to be one of the most technologically advanced ports never even came closing to taking off.

Grimm said:

Yeh, I think it also has lightmaps. Heh, it's actually kinda sad that what appears to be one of the most technologically advanced ports never even came closing to taking off.

Yeah, the lightmapping is goddamn amazing. One of the maps looks particularly good with it.... it's called Bloodfalls I think. 5 or so levels before map30.

so theres no way to make the player taller in zdoom, just scale everything down? can textures be scaled to?

ShaneAmp said:

so how are textures scaled down?

You set the X and Y scale fields using either DeePsea or XWE.

For XWE, open your PWAD with TEXTURE1/etc click on the TEXTURE1 lump and you'll find it on the right.

For DeePsea, open your PWAD, press F7, select TEXTUREx edit and there it is on the upper left corner.

A value of 0 or 8 is 1-1 (iow no scaling)

A value of 16 is 2->1, iow 1/2 size = 2x the # of pixels close up

A value of 32 is 4->1

and so on. Value inbetween also valid. 1 to 7 is magnify, but practically speaking useless :)

Once textures are made smaller then the sprites are going to be to big, can they be scaled, or do you have to reduce the images themselves?

ShaneAmp said:

Once textures are made smaller then the sprites are going to be to big, can they be scaled, or do you have to reduce the images themselves?

You can use DeHacked or Whacked with ZDooM to scale the sprites down. You simply enter a numeric value for each sprite you want reduced in size, and ZDooM takes care of the rest.

i couldnt find any option that resembled this, couldnt find any documentation either. Im just a few months into learning all about doom editing, so if anyone has a link to explain more about this, thad be great!

ShaneAmp said:

i couldnt find any option that resembled this...

As you probably know, the .deh file is simply a text file; you can edit it in MS Notepad. Here is an example:

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0

# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.
# Many thanks to Nigel Rowand for doing the Rogue Jedi patch and for all his help
# with explaining how DeHacked works.

Doom version = 21
Patch format = 6

Thing 4 (Rogue Jedi)
Scale = 0.6
Hit points = 600
Attack sound = 80
Injury frame = 251
Pain chance = 128
Close attack frame = 253
Far attack frame = 0
Death frame = 259
Width = 1966080
Mass = 400
Action sound = 77

Note the line that says Scale = 0.6 This means that the sprite will be drawn at 60% it's original size. Insert such a line to scale your sprites down.

So does anyone know if its possible to scale weapons? I tried the same thing as the monster, and it didnt work, and i did try scaling both a monster and weapon in the same patch and only the monters was larger. Anyone know if this can be done?

This discussion reminds me of cyb's wad entitled void, there's this part where you shrink yourself and in order to enter these rooms and fight through these tiny rooms in order to get at this key.