Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

What do you think makes an E4 level?

About half of the E4 levels are crap. The other half are inconsistent. So no, I don't think there's much of anything special to E4 levels besides the (vaguely) gothic style (and poor level design).

Here's what a E4 level should be like, in my book:
Lots of wood, metal, gstone, blood, lava, make the level harder than usual (and for UV take it a step further :P), plenty of big monsters, plenty of situations where you're in a position where you don't wanna fight, but have to, barely enough health to get you through, same goes for ammo, and of course, good level design.
Well, that's my opinion anyway. I can't stress the good level design thing enough.

the maps themselves generally should be more hellish than inferno, with no tech-style textures, lava instead of blood, more wood, less marble, and plenty of outdoor areas. leave out scrolling textures. the gameplay should be much more fast-paced than E3's.

really though, E4 style is mainly about the sky. try looking at E4M9 with an E1 sky if you don't believe me =P

sargebaldy said:

the maps themselves generally should be more hellish than inferno, with no tech-style textures, lava instead of blood, more wood, less marble, and plenty of outdoor areas. leave out scrolling textures. the gameplay should be much more fast-paced than E3's.

really though, E4 style is mainly about the sky. try looking at E4M9 with an E1 sky if you don't believe me =P

Uhm, there is quite alot of tech in episode3, at least in e4m7.

Torn said:

Uhm, there is quite alot of tech in episode3, at least in e4m7.

i know there is in E3, but not in E4. /me replays E4M7

EDIT so there is :P but it still doesn't look right. e4m7 doesn't capture the overall e4 feel very well. now that i think about it though, only E4M2, E4M3, E4M5, E4M6 and E4M8 (kinda) are good examples of E4 style.

Episode 4 is my favorite collection of levels ever. I have yet to play anything that tops them.

The the textures and sky are really a big part of it.

But how about the difficulty? E4 is HARD, much more so than the other three episodes in Ultimate Doom. There will most likely be lots of Barons, and possibly a Cyberdemon.

The limitation to the Doom 1 entities is important also. To me, you can't have a truly E4 feel if you put in Doom 2 stuff. Some of the early levels of Alien Vendetta can probably illustrate this (been a while since I played those though, so I could be wrong).

Edit: I think this map is a good example of a map that tries to imitate E4 and fails it. Although it is a halfway decent map anyway (not great, but decent).