Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomedout

OMG!!!1111 NEW HALF LIFE TECh deMO VIDEIO!!!!1111

I hate to say this, but being apathetic towards HL2 and all, uh, who cares?

DooMBoy said:

I hate to say this, but being apathetic towards HL2 and all, uh, who cares?

heh, yeah!

OMG!!! Half Life 2's gonna kick Doom 3's ass!!!!! Doom 3 suxx!!!!
Half Life 2 forerver!!!!!!!!!11111111

Sorry, had to say it :-P

heh. That video shows absolutely nothing...wow reflections of light"#%#¤%"#
Sure it looks ok, but it doesn't really contribute much imo.

I dont know why all of you are so non-responsive to HL2. I loved to play HL1 and this video is fantastic. If this is how HL2 is going to look (on my machine)HL2 is going to be great. I cannot imagine that anyone with a brain and a feel for FPS games, will seriously diss HL2.

Zoost said:

I dont know why all of you are so non-responsive to HL2. I loved to play HL1 and this video is fantastic. If this is how HL2 is going to look (on my machine)HL2 is going to be great. I cannot imagine that anyone with a brain and a feel for FPS games, will seriously diss HL2.

I don't know why all of you are so responsive to HL2. I loved to play HL1 and this video looks nothing like that. If this is how HL2 is going to look. It's going to be no good atmosphere. I cannot imagine that anyone with a brain and a feel for FPS games, will seriously like this game.

In other words: It looks good, but booooooooooring. And I'm not just basing that off of this video, but all the info and videos we've gotten.

1) Lack of good FPS atmosphere.
2) Boring/idiotic weapons
3) REAL bad animations
4) buggy physics, FAR more bugs than Unreal2003 or Doom3 so far (might get better of course)
5) Boring design. No....let me rephrase that...REALLY boring design. Lacks imagination big time.
6) The facial animations are ok, but often way too exaggerated.
7) shadows that go all over the place (several different directions when only one lightsource)
8) Idiotic gaming points such as those lionants you can control. (really hurts the atmosphere)

This said, I can't make my final judgment of the game before playing it.

Zoost said:

I'm not dissing HL2 thank you very much (though I am tempted to diss the more fanatical HL fans out there - some of these guys need to see the world in greater perspective).

And why I'm non-responsive of HL2 has simply something to do with taste - Half Life 1 was fun at first, but the overall design never appealed overly to me. Too much of a modern day setting to get me all excited.
Half Life 2 is gonna be the exact same type (modern, semi-futuristic setting), plus it will have things like vehicles and ai team mates, things that I'm either not too happy about or simply don't care enough for, so I'm not particularly wetting my pants.

I do admit though that Half Life will be a great game - for others. I mean, it has a very rich game world, lots of gameplay mechanics and potential and an in-depth storyline, so nobody in their right mind could dismiss that it has great potential.

But as I implied, I have my own taste - I'll play the demo of Half Life 2 and make it the judge. But I won't go out and buy the game based on some videos.

[edit]

1) Lack of good FPS atmosphere.
2) Boring/idiotic weapons
3) REAL bad animations
4) buggy physics, FAR more bugs than Unreal2003 or Doom3 so far (might get better of course)
5) Boring design. No....let me rephrase that...REALLY boring design. Lacks imagination big time.
6) The facial animations are ok, but often way too exaggerated.
7) shadows that go all over the place (several diferent directions when only one lightsource)
8) Idiotic gaming points such as those lionants you can control. (really hurts the atmosphere)

Many of these points are again a matter of taste if you ask me - I don't like most of them either, but I do know that not everyone shares your views.
1. the atmosphere depends on who you are and what appeals to you - lots of people so far seem to like HL2's atmosphere better than Doom 3's so far.
2. I agree - but others don't.
3. Huh? How?
4. I don't know about that.
5. For you and me perhaps, but again, others prefer "boring" real life designs over imaginative design.
6. I didn't find them exaggerated - more like their gestures were slightly exaggerated.
7. Don't know about that.
8. Yeah, that does seem pretty idiotic, but there may be a good plot reason for it that will reveal itself in the final game in which case it won't seem out of place or and won't hurt the atmosphere.

Try not to always look at things from only your own perspective - I know I'm not always good at that myself, but at least I try.[/edit]

I just watched the video. Althought it's quite impressive technically, I do agree with shav: it seriously lacks atmosphere. Plus the monster looks like a giant dick.

Julian said:

I just watched the video. Althought it's quite impressive technically, I do agree with shav: it seriously lacks atmosphere. Plus the monster looks like a giant dick.

Not to mention completely out of place.

Zoost said:

I loved HL and the videos for the new game look pretty cool, but between the fact that I dont have much time these days for such things, the fact that video games don't really entertain me these days, and the fact that if I replaced my computer with a steam engine it would be more powerful than it is now, I really dont care.

That was a long sentance there.

Zoost said:

agreed. it looks like the first original fps since alice and i'm certainly looking forward to it. on the other hand, i really can't see anything in doom3 at all.

Julian said:

Well, it's just a tech demo.

It is, but they've looked out of place in all the videos imo.

Well, I'm not going to turn this thread into a I'm right and you are wrong thread, because I am right and if you disagree you are wrong.

I happen to like the real-world architecture, and I think it is well done. I like the enemies (the strider!), well I think I like the whole thing. But off-course did not play it (yet).

I feel no need to defend the game, I think it will defend itself. So continue the HL2 is boring thing...

Julian said:
Plus the monster looks like a giant dick.

Well, the first game had a giant testicle, so does this really surprise you that much?

Julian said:

Doesn't the Doom 3 pinky too?

I think HL2 looks pretty damn cool, and I'll definetly be buying it when it comes out at the end of this month. I'm not going to judge the gameplay or atmosphere until I've actually played it. And remember, what we've seen so far are tech demos and the final product could be totally different.

Edit: That video looks cool! The lighting looks much improved over earlier videos and shots, I can't wait for HL2 :D

Nice little demo. The shiney reflections look nice enough, but what really caught my eye was the skyline. Made everything look very immersive.

I also like the simplicity of these Valva videos. They're not throwing together some cinematics with some quickly edited bits of gameplay footgage like the doom3 E3 trailor, rather just showing what the engine can do.

Julian said:

dsm said:

Doesn't the Doom 3 pinky too?

Doctor Freud just called, he wants a word with you both.

Trasher][ said:
Doctor Freud just called, he wants a word with you both.

Hahahahaha, I only mentioned that the pinky looks like a dick because there were a bunch of guys in the Doom 3 forum that thought that was the case at one point, and I needed something to point out the weirdness of Julian's comment.

Watched the video. Not very impressed.

The HDR lighting looks great, but not as good as floating point lighting, especially at 128-bit precision. The lack of a unified lighting model slightly detracts my impression of the graphics.

The most annoying thing about the video, though, is the poor specularity. I can understand if specularity is overdone for display, but the scrolling "white stuff" doesn't look like specular highlights at all! They're plain as snow, even on a dark surface like the antlion's skin. Best of all, they don't glow, yet cover up to 80% of the antlion's head! I was like, "WTF?! Who's cumming all over the place?" Very unnatural.

I'm quite glad DOOM 3 won't have this kind of problem, from what I've seen so far. Carmack has been paying great attention to realistic specularity rendering since a long time ago. Things like floating point math and floating point framebuffers help a lot, I figure.

dsm said:

OMG!!! Half Life 2's gonna kick Doom 3's ass!!!!! Doom 3 suxx!!!!
Half Life 2 forerver!!!!!!!!!11111111

OMG seconded LOLZ0RZ!!!11!one

IMJack said:

Wake me when the benchmark test comes out.

Wake me when the fucking video demo doesn't require a subscription to download. >:/