Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Savegame with WADs

Hi, I am pretty new to Doom and just played through Ultimate Doom + Doom II, just recently I begin to scout the internet for WADs, and found plenty of good WADs.

There are some awesome talents out there, just look at 'Hell Revealed' and 'Alien Vendetta', genius stuff, just amazing.

And that's when the problem begins...
I CAN'T SAVE THE GAME!!!

This is my setup for Doom II
- Store-bought Doom II version 1.9 with Win95 Launcher
- (HR + AV) WAD files in the same installation directory as DOOM II
- Window XP operating system

There is nothing wrong with my save feature, I can save the normal Doom II game just fine. But when i pop in the WADs and tried saving the game, Doom II simply shuts down on me and gave the error message: "gamesave buffer overrun". ouch

If anyone out there knows of this problem, please respond!!!

PS: does the gamesave feature work for CO-OP?

Best bet, whether or not you had a savegame issue, is a source port. Download them in the "utilities" section on the doomworld.com main page, listed in the upper-right corner. I strongly recommend JDoom myself.

Converted DOOMer said:

Hi, I am pretty new to Doom and just played through Ultimate Doom + Doom II, just recently I begin to scout the internet for WADs, and found plenty of good WADs.

There are some awesome talents out there, just look at 'Hell Revealed' and 'Alien Vendetta', genius stuff, just amazing.

I CAN'T SAVE THE GAME!!!

There is nothing wrong with my save feature, I can save the normal Doom II game just fine. But when i pop in the WADs and tried saving the game, Doom II simply shuts down on me and gave the error message: "gamesave buffer overrun". ouch

Doom has a savegame size limit and some of the maps you are playing are simply too large for it. As Job said, you will need a source port to get around this limitation. There's nothing you can do with Doom.exe to save in these levels.

Converted DOOMer said:

I CAN'T SAVE THE GAME!!!

Don't use the Win95 launcher, it's not very good. Install the dos version (found in the /doom2/ folder on your cd) and then get a source port:

prBoom - High resolutions plus it resembles the original DooM as close as possible.

JDoom - High resolutions plus full OpenGL/Direct3D support. (needs a fast, 3D accelerated PC to play)

Legacy - High resolutions, jumping, OpenGL support but can be unstable. It does has true 3D floors and scripting though, and there are some wads that take advantage of this.

ZDoom - High resolutions, jumping, monster and secret counts on the automap, compatibility options. Has enhanced features such as slopes, underwater, coloured lighting and Hexen-style scripting, there are many wads that use these to great effect.

All of these remove the savegame limit and other, visual limits, too. (so you won't get a crash in very large detailed areas, or see weird visual effects that look ugly)

And AFAIK they all work fine in WinXP.

Cool, thanks, Zdoom works for me pretty well.

But being the unlearned person that I am, I just don't know how to command the consoles to replace the original DOOMWADs with the foreign WADs like AV or HR... is there a way around this?

In zdoom, it works the same way as loading a pwad in doom.exe:

zdoom.exe -file yourwad.wad

Of course you change the names according to what you want. And you can add as many extra files as you like.

Alternatively, if your lazy (like me), you could simply drag and drop the wad you want to play onto the zdoom executable file.

And (unlike the Win95 launcher) you can add multiple wads:

zdoom -file wadname1.wad wadname2.wad wadname3.wad etc. etc.

(but of course make sure that the wads don't replace the same maps etc. - if so, the last one will dominate)

Assmaster said:

Alternatively, if your lazy (like me), you could simply drag and drop the wad you want to play onto the zdoom executable file.

I set my .wad files to be opened by ZDoom. All I gotta do is double click 'em and I am in the zone! I think that's the laziest it gets.

Since my operating system is Window XP, MS-DOS doesn't exist, so I guess the lazy way of dropping the PWADs into the ZDOOM executable is the only option I've got, and it worked fine.

With ZDoom, the save feature is operational. Thanks for the help guys.

Now that the PWADs and ZDoom are in harmony, I decided to take Doom to the next step! LAN multiplayer: I have experimented with the Win95 DOOM Launcher on two networked PCs, and it worked.

But that option is not possible with ZDoom, must I download some other programs to get LAN support for ZDOOM?

You can still use the command line, even with XP. Go to the start menu, click 'Run' and type the command line in there. (not forgetting to include the path to the ZDoom folder)

For multiplayer stuff, you need ZDaemon or Skulltag. (although I've never used them before)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

You can still use the command line, even with XP. Go to the start menu, click 'Run' and type the command line in there. (not forgetting to include the path to the ZDoom folder)

Or type cmd in the run box and get the XP native command line interface. Heck, you can even type command in the run box to get command.com to run, but cmd is the better option for a number of reasons. Not suggesting someone not familiar with the command line needs to do it. Just saying it's there. :-)

Oh yeah, and welcome to the fold Converted DOOMer.

Multiplayer barrier broken, I installed the Doom Connector on both of my networked PCs, and played with a ping of 1 ms (!!).

Not only this, but I can play with others online as well, oh yes.

Generally I am not a DM person, I like to romp through the levels with my friends CO-OP.

One more question, and if the answer solves my problem, my Doom game will be perfect, screw CS.

Does Co-op allow any form of gamesave that would allow you and your buddies to save your progress, you know, instead of having to start the game slate clean every time, you can just pick up from mission 20 with 156% health and etc.

Question restated: is there anything that would allow you to save and restore Co-op progress?

Thank you all for helping me set up this gig ^_^.

Well, the original game could save co-op games. I know because my friend and I played all of DOOM II co-op over a serial cable connection. As for whether any particular source port does or does not support co-op saving, you'd have to consult that port's documentation or author to find out (or just try it and see).

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT: The wads that are linked below my post, CGArena and E1style won't require any of the features of the port you just downloaded, but go ahead and give them a try. One's for deathmatch and the other is best used as a speedrunning map. Enjoy.

Co-op progress can be restored with Doom Legacy!!!

After about a total 20 hours of searching, experimenting, and toiling with ports and servers that don't work (curse that Doomserv) over a period of 10 days, I found that Doom Legacy does save multiplayer games... I have tried it over a LAN network so far, and can save/restore co-op games at will.

Although Doom Legacy is notorious for lag and slow framerates when it comes to internet play... over a LAN network, Legacy is pretty much flawless.

With the co-op mode and co-op save in place, and thousands of WADs to work with, I don't think my friends and I will ever stop playing the original Doom, even with the release of Doom III.

Rock on.