Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Liam

Hexen 2...

Just bought hexen 2 off ebay for 11 bux (w00t!) but I have a problem. If I change my video mode to a fullscreen resolution over 320 X 200 then the screen goes completely black and doesn't respond to any keys, escape, Ctrl+Alt+Del, or such, and I have to reset. What's up? Thanx.

I just got the drivers I needed. Will it work if I run GLHexen?

Dammit, I stil can't run GLhexen. I unzipped the drivers into the Hexen2 directory and i get three error boxes...

the 1st has no text, just "error" and an OK button.

the 2cd says "grSstSelect: Non-existent SST

the 3rd says wglCreateContect failed.

Help me...

Do you have a 3D card at least?

Does an Nvidia TNT2 M64 4 X AGP count?

I can run just about everything else with GL, so I'd say yes...

Isn't there a patch that fixes that?

Fixes what?

Heh, nope. It only runs with 3DFX cards - this is before 3D acceleration was good. I've had a TNT2 for over a year now, and haven't been able to run GLHexen2 or GLQuake for over a year now (about the only "modern" games I ever play). The hardware just doesn't support it, and you have no idea how many emails I've sent asking and demanding a patch that lets Hexen2 run on Direct3D-accelerated cards as well as OpenGL, they just won't do it. I tried Hexen2 in software mode about 6 months ago, couldn't stand it. Half the objects didn't come close to texturing properly. Oh it was horrible. I have to find a cheap Voodoo5 5500 somewhere so I can run these games again.

Heh, nope. It only runs with 3DFX cards - this is before 3D acceleration was good. I've had a TNT2 for over a year now, and haven't been able to run GLHexen2 or GLQuake for over a year now (about the only "modern" games I ever play). The hardware just doesn't support it, and you have no idea how many emails I've sent asking and demanding a patch that lets Hexen2 run on Direct3D-accelerated cards as well as OpenGL, they just won't do it.

Well, at least I know I can stop trying. Anyway, that leaves my first question unanswered... how can I set to higher resolutions in normal hexen 2? Like I said, when I try the screen just goes black and I have to reset.

Anyway, that leaves my first question unanswered... how can I set to higher resolutions in normal hexen 2? Like I said, when I try the screen just goes black and I have to reset.

That's one I've never heard of. I know there is a patch available, so make sure you download that. I'm not sure that will fix it since I don't remember that being an issue for anybody when the patch was released, but try it. Barring that, sounds like your videocard is confused.

Anyway, that leaves my first question unanswered... how can I set to higher resolutions in normal hexen 2? Like I said, when I try the screen just goes black and I have to reset.

I know there is a patch available, so make sure you download that. I'm not sure that will fix it since I don't remember that being an issue for anybody when the patch was released, but try it. Barring that, sounds like your videocard is confused.

I heard about the patch. Where can I d/l it?

yeah hexen2 was pre-quake 2... I remember playing it and seeing the faked coloured lighting and 'light rays' and thinking 'joy'.

I love it in GL myself...but I'm running a Voodoo 2...I think I'd better shut up now...But in all seriousness, Hexen shouldn't look to bad out of GL, either...I found quake looked awesome at 640 x 480 with winquake. But I guess it's personal preference...especially since I'd prefer to NOT have quake on my hard drive, and therefore I don't...I hate that gamt...but Hexen II rocks.

especially since I'd prefer to NOT have quake on my hard drive, and therefore I don't...I hate that game

I did enjoy Quake a lot when it first came out, I still think it had some pretty cool stuff in it. The reason I still have it installed and play it is because of Mission Pack #1. I hate to say it but those 3 hubs kick everything for Doom/Doom2's ass.

The v1.11 patch fixed my resolution problem. I just need a new video card now.

That's the mission pack made by Ritual, right?

Uhm.... neither are made by Ritual. Mission Pack #1 only has ID and Activision logos all over it, says copyright ID software. In the small print, it says "Developed by Hipnotic Interactive", so I guess it's them. Quake Mission Pack #2 was shit, all those cheap attempts at Egyptian settings, hell the entire first episode was worse than 99% of the maps you find in CDROM.COM for Doom. The 2nd episode was somewhat touched up but still amateur as hell compared even to the original Quake, let alone Mission Pack #1. It says on the bottom of Mission Pack #2 "Developed by Rogue Entertainment, Inc." so I know never to buy anything with "Rogue" on it again.

Stupid assholes i have a GF2 MX and i can make Hexen2 run really smooth (take away Opengl32.dll in Hexen2 folder)but i have only 640x480 and can't change the resulotion