• CD-R/RW (or DVD)
    • optical
    • zip
    • jazz
    • MO-DISK
    • external hard drive
    • SD cards, mem sticks, flash drives
    • other wierd stuff

what drive types do you store you doom stuff on. and to be better how much doom stuff do u got?

on my windows 2000 drive i have a dir with about 300MB of doom stuff
a large chunk of that is high-res textures and MD2's. rest is wads, ports and images.

on the linux and dos systems i use a optical drive and a large MO-DISK drive for doom stuff. in DOS i run it right off the MO-DISK, its faster than the hard drive!

These days, hard drive and CD's. Although I do have some floppies lying around, too.

I'd say I've got around 700-800 megs of DooM stuff - wads, ports, editors, all my project stuff etc. etc.

fraggle said:

BURN ALL FLOPPY DISKS

BURN DESTROY

Alright, I'll be sure to use less than 1% of a CD-R to save a picture on...and then not be able to write over it unless it's on the computer I saved it on...

yea, true

optical drives are not really CD/DVD recorders. its the other way around, they are an optical technology

the drive i use makes a disk on a silicon or glass layer. it has an estimated shelf life of 10,000 years (i wonder how u test that?)
anyways it reads and writes as fast as a 5400 RPM hard drive.

zip disks are ok, but i find i have had many issues with them. they are magnetic based and go bad quick

super disk should have been more popular. though popular on mag i rarely see them with PC.
they are backward compatible with floppies yet use a 120 and now 230 MB optical disk. they are fast, easy to use and really last. I have been recomending them to people who bought laptops that came without floppies

Python_Junkie said:

Alright, I'll be sure to use less than 1% of a CD-R to save a picture on...and then not be able to write over it unless it's on the computer I saved it on...

Why not? Its more reliable and probably cheaper.

Or for a better choice, get a USB flash pendrive.

Floppy drives are obsolete, unreliable, evil pieces of trash. The fact that computers are still shipping with them in is a crime against humanity and against all common sense.

fraggle said:

Why not? Its more reliable and probably cheaper.

Or for a better choice, get a USB flash pendrive.

Floppy drives are obsolete, unreliable, evil pieces of trash. The fact that computers are still shipping with them in is a crime against humanity and against all common sense.

Absolutely. I've stopped building computers with them in. I recommend an internal zip drive if you REALLY want a magnetic disk drive in your comp, and most BIOSs will use them for booting.

On that note, anyone want to buy 10 of them? Cheap!

All computers should come with front USB ports and a cheapo USB drive fob thingy. They are approximately 10 billion times better than floppies.

Let's see, I use floppy disks sometimes. But most of the times, I burn my stuff onto a CD (as a back up). I had about 200MBs of Doom stuff one time, then I got rid of it...

I'm ye olde user and only have stuff on my hard drive. I have about 300Mb of Doom and 1.2Gb of Mp3s, I'll maybe transfer them all to USB memory stick one day.

way to steal my thread sephiroth :P

I've got some ancient stuff on some 3.5 floppy disks but I have no idea where they are ;) Almost a gig of the first of my two hard disks is used up, and I generally burn my own stuff using my CD/RW drive, but use my DVD to read these CDs (as it's faster).

Not particularly Doom-related, but I've also got both a floppy disk drive and a memory stick in my digital camera :)I've also been trying to record various avi's, mpeg's and the like onto video cassettes, but so far they're always either in black & white, there's no sound, or both. If I do figure it out, I could potentially have vidoes of demos or me playing Doom if I wanted to.

I keep everything on my hard drive, no CD burner :( I need to get with the times.

DooMBoy said:

I keep everything on my hard drive, no CD burner :( I need to get with the times.

To get with the times, you'd actually have to buy a DVD burner =P

i use those USB card readers, mainly cause i have a camera that usesw them.

yea i hate zips, would have rather seen superdisk.

Doom Dude said:

BURN ALL ZIP DISKS!!

Zips fail it.

Yep that's true. Among the many issues you can have is that zip 100 formated on a zip 250 drive can't be read on a old zipdrive.
But don't forget that many old pc's running dos/windows 3.11/redhat 5.0 and so are still running. Sometimes people have to work with that. ( some companies still use software based on that os and I've the impression that 16bit programs run faster on a 16bit os.) But most of those are controlling robots. For those you need floppies. Back on topic: 1.954.934.784 bytes doomdir

world first industrial robot used something like an 8 inch floppy. with 2K and in the interview with the programs they said they could not even imagine enought code that could fill 2k of memory. man they would have shit them selves if they saw what we have today

Sephiroth said:

world first industrial robot used something like an 8 inch floppy. with 2K and in the interview with the programs they said they could not even imagine enought code that could fill 2k of memory. man they would have shit them selves if they saw what we have today

Yeah, but simple things were simple then. You didn't need a line of code for typing hello world on a typewriter, nowadays you need to start up an Os, drivers, an office application. That's million and million lines of code which can do alot of things but more often then not do very simple things in a very complex way. (allthough it's hidden from the enduser, point of view)