• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Carnevil

A new screenshot has appeared!

Coool :D
And the other screenies look radtacular too. :D
Too bad SkullTag is on my computer, and my computer was taken away yesterday. Fudgebunnies.

Can't wait to be able to play this though, haven't played in so long! :D

DOOM Anomaly said:

Coool :D
And the other screenies look radtacular too. :D
Too bad SkullTag is on my computer, and my computer was taken away yesterday. Fudgebunnies.

Can't wait to be able to play this though, haven't played in so long! :D

The new Skulltag (0.95b) is a vast improvement over the last version! :)

Carnevil said:

Those will be in v0.96b.

Heh. I never looked into any bot code. I worked quite a lot on AI actually and I was wondering how the different bots we see around in Doom have been implemented. Care to tell me how you intend to code their behaviour?

Julian said:

... -_-

I guess the answer is no.

Nah, just wanted to take the time to give you a decent answer (read: I was too tired at the time, and wanted to finish up d2ctf6! :) )

Anyway, the previous bots I coded basically had all their AI hard coded into the engine. I basically coded the AI for one bot, and then just gave all the unique bots their own attributes, which modified their behavior (ex. certain bots could aim better, react quicker, etc.). There was also the capability for the bots to be in different states. Bots could get angry, frustrated, etc. etc.

The plan for the next iteration of the bots, however, should be more flexible from bot to bot. I would like for bots to be able to have their own cusomizeable AI (of course, they could just use the "generic" AI, if it's not worth it to go through the work of writing a bots AI from scratch). I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to go about doing this (maybe I could just derive all the individual bot classes from one master bot in the code, all of which could have their own AI... or I could allow for bot scripts, where users can write their own AI, compile it, insert it into the wad, and have their new bot run this AI... who knows), but it's definitely something I look forward to doing after 95b is all finished up here.

What kind of information do you use? I mean, do you use the monster code for path finding or do you pre-calculate roads with reference spots? Also, what is the model you use for the AI? Logical rules? Fuzzy logic? I'm sorry to bug you but I'm very curious about the inside and I admit I don't have enough time to dig into the code.

Julian said:

What kind of information do you use? I mean, do you use the monster code for path finding or do you pre-calculate roads with reference spots? Also, what is the model you use for the AI? Logical rules? Fuzzy logic? I'm sorry to bug you but I'm very curious about the inside and I admit I don't have enough time to dig into the code.

The old bots didn't really precalculate any paths. They basically looked at what was in front of them, and went from there. If they had some kind of destination they were headed to, they would attempt to go there. Otherwise, they would just wander around until they found some item they wanted to pick up, found an enemy to fight, etc. With the next batch of bots, I will probably try to implement the a* routine for bots to navigate their way to their intended destinations.

As far as logic goes, the old bots relied on logical rules, instead of fuzzy logic. Either the bot wanted health items, or he didn't. Either he wanted armor, or he didn't. Either he felt like fleeing, or didn't. However, with the next batch, I will probably use fuzzy logic (being the programming n00b I was back then, I didn't use fuzzy logic, simply because I wasn't aware of the technique). Should lead to better behavior.