Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zell

what does the wall demon say?

I don't think they actually say anything. The Disciples of D'Sparil in Heretic do though.

Job said:

*cough*...FAQ...*cough* *cough*...warezmonkey...*cough* The hell with subtletly. You shouldn't be talking about warez, collecting warez, thinking about warez, or even talking about some people who talked about making love to warez. Warez just isn't cool here. There. I said it.

Heh...originaly, all the Doom I had was pirated because thats the only way my dad got games. I think of the 50 or so games we had, 5 were actualy legit. Anyway, I finaly did get a copy of Doom in 96 or so (as The Ultimate Doom), and a copy of Doom 2 a couple years ago. So there. I talked about warez and I got away with it.

Spray said:

As long as we're on the subject, what do the dark bishops in Hexen say?

Heh, they just mutter some mystical incantation of some sort, I guess.
The Heretic Disciples are mumbling Succumb to us, Heretic and Destroy the Heretic, if you didn't know.

Um...he says 'Surrendur to Desparil' as his walking around sound. Though he could be saying that in one of his other sounds.

D'Sparil does say "Surrender to D'Sparil" I'm not sure if he says anything else though, though that yell he gives out as he dies is awesome. :D

I always tried to figure what the guys from Wolfenstien always said too, I tried the backwards thing but to no avail, they just sounded funnier. :D

Spray said:

As long as we're on the subject, what do the dark bishops in Hexen say?

Probably something backwards, in Sanskrit, like the cultists in Blood.

DOOM Anomaly said:

I always tried to figure what the guys from Wolfenstien always said too, I tried the backwards thing but to no avail, they just sounded funnier. :D

They speak German - poor German that is with sucky pronounciation.

Brown Guard: "Achtung!" - "Attention/warning/alert" my guess is "warning" (as in: "Warning, there's an intruder here!")
Brown guard dying: He just screams in a myriad of ways - any of those screams are way better than anything the RtCW Nazis say when they die.

White officer: "Spion!" - "Spy!"
White officer dying: No idea - I've seen several possibilities on various websites, but none of these suggestions sound anything like what he's actually saying. He probably says "One day I'll bite your ass, fucker!" :-P

Blue SS guys: "Schutzstaffel!" (this is what "SS" stands for) - "Defense squadron!" (dumbest battlecry ever, but quite funny nonetheless)
Dying SS guy: "Mein Leben!" - "My life!"

Dog: "Woof!"
Attacking dog: "Woof, woof!"
Dying dog: "Yipe!"

Hans Grosse (Hans Big): "Guten Tag!" - "Good day!" (some sources claim he says "Good morning!" but I don't get that 'cause that'd be "Guten Morgen!" afaik, but I ain't German all the same)
Hans Grosse dying: "Mutti!" - "Mommy!"

Doctor Schabbs: "Muahahahahahahaa!"
Dying Schabbs: "Eerrgghhh, Mein Gott in Himmel!" - "Eerrgghh/arrgghh (?), my God in Heaven!"

Evil Incarnate aka "The World's Most Evil Austrian Painter" (Aka Adolf Hitler): "Die Allied Scweinhund!" - "Die Allied bastard!" (NB: Scweinhund litterally translates into "pigdog", but since Scweinhund is a more common insult in German than "pigdog" is in English, if it even exists in English that is, I took the liberty of translating it into "bastard")
Evil itself when running out of mech suit: "Sceisse!" - "Shit!"
The Face of Evil dying: "Eva, auf Wiedersehen!" - "Eva, good bye/see you later" ("Auf Wiedersehen" literally translates into "See you again (later)", but it basically has the same meaning as "good bye").

Otto Giftmacher: (Otto Poison Maker) "Eine kleine Amerikane!" (Should've been "Ein kleiner Amerikaner!" if it was to be remotely correct, unless I'm much mistaken here) - "A small/little American!"
The Giftmacher dying: "Donnerwetter!" - "Good Heavens!"

Gretel Grosse (Gretel Big): "Kein Durchgang!" - "No admittance!"
Gretel dying: "Mein Busse!" - sources claim this means "my repentance", but I have no way of confirming that one way or the other, 'cause the word "Busse" isn't in any of my dictionaries. I always thought she said "Mein Bruder!" which means "My brother!" until I got on the net and saw the above.

General Fettgesicht (General Fatface): "Erlauben Sie bitte" (sounds like "Erloben Sie Bizzarre!" to my ears :-P) - "Allow me please!"
Fatface dying: Dunno know - all internet sources claim that it sounds like "Roseknospe" (which means "rosebud", which makes zero sense in this case).

So there ya have it.

dsm said:

Wolfenstein Translations

Frighteningly, I knew all of those utterly useless factoids. Useless, but entertaining.

*EDIT* However,I have forgotten what the Spear of Destiny Death Knight says...

Job said:

Frighteningly, I knew all of those utterly useless factoids. Useless, but entertaining.

*EDIT* However,I have forgotten what the Spear of Destiny Death Knight says...

Death Knight: "Tot ist mein Leben!" - "Death is my life!"
Don't remember what he says when he dies though.

In fact, I remember very little of what the soddin' SoD (heh) characters say - I do remember this though:

Angel o' Death: "Prove your worth human!"
Deathangel meets his namesake: "You may wield the spear!"

Hmmm, anyone think the fact this thread is called "what does the wall demon say?" is quite revealing?

I mean, "the wall demon".

OK, I've seen it said quite a few times, but that just about sums it up. The idea for the level is fairly cool and all, but the bad guy at the end really doesn't feel like a bad guy at all. It's a wall with a hole in it. It has no "thrashing limbs" to "devastate untold miles of hell's surface". It's a wall.

It would almost have been better if id had come clean and built some sort of giant demon spawning factory/structure/hell device and you just destroyed that instead. Same gameplay, same ultimate effect, but no having to convince yourself that the wall you just shot was actually a giant demon pinned into the very structure of hell by all those pipes and wires.

I still like the Icon of Sin better than Quake 1's bosses. The idea for killing Shub was semi-interesting but still, give me something I can shoot at.

Draconio said:

I still like the Icon of Sin better than Quake 1's bosses. The idea for killing Shub was semi-interesting but still, give me something I can shoot at.

that's one of the reasons quake 2 is superior to quake 1.

dsm said:

Blue SS guys: "Schutzstaffel!" (this is what "SS" stands for) - "Defense squadron!" (dumbest battlecry ever, but quite funny nonetheless)

Nah, its just like yelling "POLICE!" or "F.B.I.!".

Hans Grosse (Hans Big): "Guten Tag!" - "Good day!" (some sources claim he says "Good morning!" but I don't get that 'cause that'd be "Guten Morgen!" afaik, but I ain't German all the same)

Ah...'guten Tag' means 'good day'. If he was going to say 'good morning' he would have said 'guten morgen'. Maybe there is some weird instance where you can use Tag instead of Morgen, but I dunno because I'm not actualy a native speaker.

Doctor Schabbs

Heh, could mean 'Dr. Scrape'.

The Face of Evil dying: "Eva, auf Wiedersehen!" - "Eva, good bye/see you later" ("Auf Wiedersehen" literally translates into "See you again (later)", but it basically has the same meaning as "good bye").

Also, Eva was Hitler's lover. Her body was found alongside Hitler's. They had (along with some of Hitler's top officers) all taken poison before having the bunker burned down around them by the invading Russian army.

Giftmacher

Heh...Gift is one of my favorite German words because of what it means in English. The moral of the story: never accept Gifts from Germans. :P

Gretel dying: "Mein Busse!" - sources claim this means "my repentance", but I have no way of confirming that one way or the other, 'cause the word "Busse" isn't in any of my dictionaries. I always thought she said "Mein Bruder!" which means "My brother!" until I got on the net and saw the above.

Maybe she's saying "Meine Brusten!" (my breasts!). :P Nah, the brother thing makes more sense considering the plot.

Fatface dying: Dunno know - all internet sources claim that it sounds like "Roseknospe" (which means "rosebud", which makes zero sense in this case).

I've never seen the movie, but I think 'rosebud' is some plot element in Citizen Kane. Dunno what that has to do with Nazis though. Heh...its also a cheat code in The Sims.

monochrome said:

that's one of the reasons quake 2 is superior to quake 1.

Hehehe

Ok, I just went into the Heretic IWAD and looked at the sounds, the "I will torture your flesh" one is in the lump SORSIT.

Carnevil said:

If anyone ever made an AYB wad, and then combined it with the goatse wad, it would create a black hole of suck that would destroy the entire universe.

... but it'd be pretty funny :)

/me Starts working on that wad.

the_Danarchist said:
Heh, could mean 'Dr. Scrape'.

Well, some German guy on another forum board told me that Dr. Schabbs didn't mean anything - just "Schabbs".

Also, Eva was Hitler's lover. Her body was found alongside Hitler's. They had (along with some of Hitler's top officers) all taken poison before having the bunker burned down around them by the invading Russian army.

Oh yeah, that too.

Heh...Gift is one of my favorite German words because of what it means in English. The moral of the story: never accept Gifts from Germans. :P

Time to extend your horizon - 'Gift' is not only the German word for 'poison', the same word also means 'poison' in Danish. So that means that you should never accept gifts from Danes either ;-)

Maybe she's saying "Meine Brusten!" (my breasts!). :P Nah, the brother thing makes more sense considering the plot.

Hehehehe.

Btw getting back on topic, as far as Quake 1 goes, I happened to find at least Chton interesting as a boss - the puzzle soliving part was kinda interesting and thankfully not too difficult. I do like shooting bosses better though, but I don't feel like bashing Quake 1 because of the nature of the bosses it had - more like bashing it for only having "puzzle bosses".

Oh and btw (again), you should try the mission packs for Quake 1 - especially the first is badass (both have bosses that you simply shoot in order to kill them).

A big part of the problem with Wolf3D is the 4KHz sampling of the sounds. Blegh!

The Nazis in RTCW were hilarious! They were like a bad old movie cliche.

Aliotroph? said:

The Nazis in RTCW were hilarious! They were like a bad old movie cliche.

They were naught compared to the old Wolf3d ones - they barely spoke German and when they did, it sounded suspiciously unclear compared to their English-with-hollywood-German-accent.

The stuff that they said was ok fun, but I was pretty disappointed that they didn't even yell stuff like "Achtung!" or "Feind!" or whatever German guards would yell at you when they spot you.

All they did was yell "Halt!" (in English mind you!) and cheesy shit like "There he is, STOP HIM!" - those that did yell stuff in German didn't seem to actually "yell", rather mutter under their breath or something so that it typically drowned in the other sounds.

The least thing they could've done was have them speak English with accent whenever they were talking idle and then they would yell various phrases in German upon spotting you - if iD could have the Nazis yell stuff in German, Graymatter ought to have been able to do it too.

I think the point of RTCW was to make it like some kind of cheesy action movie, and that added to it really well.

dsm said:

All they did was yell "Halt!" (in English mind you!) and cheesy shit like "There he is, STOP HIM!"

Heh, I thought it was more like "zere he is, STOP HIM". :-)

the_Danarchist said:

I think the point of RTCW was to make it like some kind of cheesy action movie, and that added to it really well.

Exactly, you're talking about a game where the plot deals with stereotypical Nazis working on an evil plot to raise zombies and an undead ancient prince, ably assisted by Ninja Nazi Bitches and scantily clad witches. You can't get all that without a good helping of cheese. If anything, they should have gone for even more extra cheesy topping:

"Halt Englisher pig-dog! For you Tommy, ze vore is over."

MOH plays it far straighter if you want to be pitted against a more genuine feeling WWII enemy.