Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SteelPH

Have you played Metroid Prime?

Have you played Metroid Prime? How was it?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played Metroid Prime? How was it?

• Yes, AWESOME GAME!!
    • Yes, it was ok
    • Yes, it sucked
    • No, but I plan to
    • No, and I don\'t plan to play it either
    • What is Metroid?
    • I program in Beer++

I've rented it. I got through about 60% of it for the three days I had it. I stopped playing, totally stumped on where to go, so I never re-rented it. Unfortunately, I erased the my data from my memory card by the time a full walkthrough could be writen. I guess I won't be playing that game again. ;(

I found it to be a great game. I liked how it was first person, within samus' suit, insted of infront like in most games that used that perspective. The view from her suit lead to some cool special effects in the game, my favourite being the water that ran down her visor when she'd jump from out of a pool. Another cool thing in that game was her ball form, and the way it was bought to a new level in Metroid Prime. I liked those parts of the game where you'd roll through a pipe system, and have the neon lights from the suit glow on the walls.

However, I've seen that the game doesn't get nearly enough respect as it deserves. I often come across terrible reviews from PS2 fanboys who bitch and moan about these supposet bad controls. I found the controls for the game to be nowhere as difficult or confusing as they let on. Gamers must have de-evolutionized in playing ability, for me to believe that someone would find the controls so bad in Metroid Prime, that they were unable to play and enjoy the wonder atmosphere the game provioded.

I'd like to see those people try to play Doom under it's default controls, alt-strafe and no mouse look, with Ultra Violence.

Ever since I saw the pics for the game I knew I had to play it at least once before I died. But I don't have the money for a GC or MP :( Maybe one of these days...

Very good game. Not as good as Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion though.

I guess it's mostly the fact that it feels just as a rehash of Super Metroid. Doesn't give a very imaginative impresson.

Besides, the controls are not as good as they should've been, and there's too little atmosphere.

If you ask me, it's pretty imaginative, and the atmosphere is good... just not the same as it was in the previous games. In the other metroid games you were always under the planet's surface going though a series of tunnels, never quite knowing for sure what to do next. In this one you pretty much know what's going on and most of the levels are above ground, giving a completely different feel. As to the controls, maybe they could have been better, but I'm not sure how. They way they are now, though, is very comfortable.

I only wish that it was a little big bigger of a game.

and the atmosphere is good

Generic and indistinct.

In this one you pretty much know what's going on and most of the levels are above ground, giving a completely different feel.

What? Metroid Prime is even less directed than Super Metroid. (And in the parts where it is directed, it copies directly from Super Metroid, which makes things worse).

It was a pretty good game. It had it's drawbacks like Fredrik said, but on the whole it was pretty entertaining -- it did, after all, inspire me to gather a crew for the failed-to-run Metroid TC.

Little Faith said:

It mainly has something to do with my unwillingness to purchase a console. The game itself seems neat enough.

Same here.

Fredrik said:
What? Metroid Prime is even less directed than Super Metroid. (And in the parts where it is directed, it copies directly from Super Metroid, which makes things worse).

Less directed? I fail to see how. Not only is it linear in such a way that you visit every area during the course of the game, but you are basically told where you need to go next at every stage. In Super Metroid you had to think about the equipment you currently had and use that to base where you could go to next.

In Super Metroid you had to think about the equipment you currently had and use that to base where you could go to next.

That's exactly how Metroid Prime works. You spend the most of the time searching for the item required to get to the next item (and it's usually a chore). The concept worked perfectly in Super Metroid for various reasons, but in Metroid Prime it's unfortunately there just for the sake of being.

Fun game, I liked it alot. The graphics are just stellar. I loved the first trip through the ruins. Very awesome looking and with great music. I still have to beat it ;P

The treausre hunting doesn't bother me at all, but sometimes remembering where things are WAY back in the previous levels was difficult. I know I missed a metal hatch somwhere that I can blow up now with the super bomb.

I've played the in-store demo. That's it.

I can never get used to FPS controls on a console, but that's a completely different thread.

I'm judging by the things said on this thread that it kind of wrecks the exploratory style of the previous games. If so that sucks.

Epyo said:

For a game with such a crappy replay value, it was awesome!

Somewhat like Half-life? >_@

Fredrik said:
That's exactly how Metroid Prime works. You spend the most of the time searching for the item required to get to the next item (and it's usually a chore). The concept worked perfectly in Super Metroid for various reasons, but in Metroid Prime it's unfortunately there just for the sake of being.

The main difference, though, is that in Prime you are told where the next item, or the next boss, or the next key thing is. There is considerably less uncertainty.

Overall I still don't see how it's less directed than Super Metroid.