Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

What makes a Mockery style map?

Think of everything that goes into making a good and enjoyable Doom map. Now, do just the opposite.

mockery maps should be bad, but in an original and amusing way. think of the worst mapping ideas you can, and put them in. the kind of bad stuff that no one would do by accident.

I know an expert on making Mockery style (read: crap ass) maps. Let me get him...

/me calls for DooMBoy

You haven't seen Mock 2 then....now that's mockery.

What makes a mockery map is anything that's silly and funny (not just bad), particularly if a cool principle is used.

But funny use of ZDoom features pwns the most. (huge potential for mockery in ZDoom, as you will see in Mock 2)

Job said:

I know an expert on making Mockery style (read: crap ass) maps. Let me get him...

/me calls for DooMBoy

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

Anways, do a Mockery map this way:
1. Do a horrible, horrible map. Make sure all flats, more or less, are misaligned and all textures are misaligned. Now cram the level full of megaspheres, BFGs, Cyberdemons, Barons, Arachnotrons, and how many more enemies you care to stuff into your map. Make sure to give the entire level a light pulsate cycle +1 second light special, and make the ground damaging, I suggest highly damaging. Do this regardless of whether or not the ground is blood, lava, or nukage.
Now here's the challenge: make it fun.

Map06 and Map07 of Rage DM v1.0, but not v1.1 where they're replaced with real, serious levels. I think one's actually a tribute to Overload.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

But funny use of ZDoom features pwns the most. (huge potential for mockery in ZDoom, as you will see in Mock 2)

Will we?

Mockery maps are maps that are made badly on purpose. The kind of errors that is only intentional, and that NOBODY, not even SuperUltraMegaNewb would make.

The kind of error that makes you laugh when you look at it.

Trasher][ said:
Custom textures done in MSPaint.

Not exactly textures, but...

Going back on-topic, some of the best examples of mockery maps are created by Hyena, Lut and <spam>myself</spam>. Since Hyena has disappeared from the face of the earth, nobody will ever see the... zing that Mock2 has. Still, I recommend looking at this list of comedy wads that Hyena picked (including some of his own).

Ichor said:

Think of everything that goes into making a good and enjoyable Doom map. Now, do just the opposite.

Not always, as I found Mock 2 quite fun.

deathz0r said:

Since Hyena has disappeared from the face of the earth, nobody will ever see the... zing that Mock2 has.

What happened to him, anyway?

sargebaldy said:

well, considering it's already done, yes. although i wish hyena would undie and release it already.

Well, we could always take up the reins ourselves...as long as someone has a copy of the hybrid map we can finish off.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, we could always take up the reins ourselves...as long as someone has a copy of the hybrid map we can finish off.

hyena's just having computer problems, he didn't leave the community. so no, i don't think that's a good idea.

A mockery style map should also have a nice idea, kinda like the heh.wads. These have great ideas. :P