Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultraviolet

FAQ suggestion

The FAQ says:

All the avatars suck, I have my own kick ass one, how do I use it?
When you reach 250 posts, you can upload your own custom avatar.

Seems something is missing. It almost seems to encourage people to spam like hell just so they can get custom titles. Perhaps somewhere else in the FAQ it says not to do that, but once somebody reads this they might just say "Sweet! Now all I have to do is make 250 posts and everybody can see the rockin' goodness of my avatar!" and close the FAQ without reading another word of it. I have calculated that, with the 60 second no-post rule, it would take a bare minimum of 250 minutes (a little over four hours) to make that many posts, and I'm sure that a determined poster would be able to do just that.

Suggestion:
"When you reach 250 posts, you can upload your own custom avatar. However, it is not reccomended that you alter the pace of your posting just so that you can get an avatar sooner, because if you do so you will probably end up banned instead and therefore never get the chance to upload your avatar."

I'm gonna go ahead and use this thread as a running list of suggestions on things to change.

Using an FTP Clients

Note the plurality-disagreement there. "An FTP Clients." So is it one client or more than one client? The world may never know.

Your Done!

To whom does that "done" belong, exactly?

Four hours is more than enough time for an on-the-ball admin or mod to purge everything a user has posted.

I think it was Jonathan I was dueling with, to see if I could delete shit faster than he could spam image macros.

IMJack said:

Four hours is more than enough time for an on-the-ball admin or mod to purge everything a user has posted.

I think it was Jonathan I was dueling with, to see if I could delete shit faster than he could spam image macros.

OK, so you're saying the mods can deal with it. Still, people should know that it is a bannable offense. I mean, it's common sense, but some people don't implement that into their common thought process.

we could always make a spammer's forum. sometimes people are decent enough not to spam, but every once in a while you get those assholes who think that if they make a bunch of somewhat relevant posts, they can get their avatars sooner, end up spamming, end up getting banned, and getting pissed off, et cetera. the blog forum was a good place for spammers, but it didn't increase post count, making it somewhat irrelevant, so everybody uses EE to post their useless shit since the forum isn't widely visible to newcomers, et cetera.

It would all be solved if this forum would choose a random number to display as your postcount any time it is directed to give a number.

BBG said:

I think that it should just be changed to 50 or 0 posts.

that's a good idea, but with the 0 option then you'd be wasting space with 5 million custom avatars on users who registered to make one post

i think 75 posts would be better :P
but yeah this should be [shown] like right away when u join jsut so people dont spam. that might work ^_^

Heh, I spam like hell when I feel like it. I've been re-registered at NewDoom since Friday, and I already have 233 posts.

Hey, I've got a twisted solution. How about completely doing away the the post requirement. Instead have it based on the amount of time a person has been a member. Or just have them both as requirements. That way it makes spamming irrelivant, since even if you were to get 250 posts within a week or so it wouldn't matter because the time requirement would not have been met. Just a suggestion.

Perhaps there should be an ettiquete section (or expand it if there is one already) stating that one should use one's common sense in making sure that their posting is not obnoxious, poorly stated, misinterpretable, poorly spelled, poorly structured, written in alternating caps, redundant, repetitive, redundant, repetitive, doesn't clutter the board (excessive volume of posting or overly verbose posts)...

Ultraviolet said:

Perhaps there should be an ettiquete section (or expand it if there is one already) stating that one should use one's common sense in making sure that their posting is not obnoxious, poorly stated, misinterpretable, poorly spelled, poorly structured, written in alternating caps, redundant, repetitive, redundant, repetitive, doesn't clutter the board (excessive volume of posting or overly verbose posts)...

You can sit and stare for a stiff hour at one of your own posts without finding anything you find "misinterpretable" and still it can end up getting misinterpreted.
Hell, I've tried that plenty of times - usually happen in those complex arguments where I have to continually go back to carefully read the post of the guy I'm responding to and where the responds require a fairly long post.

dsm said:

You can sit and stare for a stiff hour at one of your own posts without finding anything you find "misinterpretable" and still it can end up getting misinterpreted.

I just meant that people should pay close attention to how they phrase things.

I also think that custom avatars should be allowable after the erson has been registered for a certain peroid of time. That way, there's no way the person can possibly rush the aquisition of that status. They'll just have to wait.