home networks  

38 members have voted

1. 1. home networks

• nope.
    • yes, wired
    • yes wireless
    • both wired and wireless
    • i plan on it

I have a computer network in my home. My computer is the first one that is hooked to the actual internet Dee-Lee, then it is distributed to my Daddy's puter, my brothers puter then my sister's. We have a network running incase we need to share files, print or scan and stuff. Most of it works, the only problem is no one can access my computer through the nextwork since I got XP because it requires a password no one knows, but I can access other computers from it.

The wires of the network from computer to computer do through the walls, floors, and roof and in the vents. There are two D-link Dee-Lees we have, one in my closet, and one in the vent in the wall behind this room here. It's quite neato. I feel like some secret agent or something rather. :D

* Cues Mission Impossible theme

Does hooking into the university's wireless LAN count?

Back during sophomore year, we drilled a hole through the wall into our neighbor's flat so we could bum off their cable modem. We were all hooked into a LAN at that point.

i have everything going through this nice ass gateway. however in the future i will have a dedicated gateway/server computer as i will be running an FTP for a private organization.

my router/gateway is both wired and wireless. i prefer wires when possible due to speed and reliablity (besides do i really need extra signals in my body)

the only things useing wireless are the laptops, and it isnt ghreat in this house due to the ventilation system (blocks signals)

I ran line today and hit a tiny snag. the upstairs and downstairs at seperated by the underfloor. u i had to drill thru that to get down staris. when i do my bed room i will use the vent shafts.

doing home wireing can be a bitch, more so if u are a moron or have never done it. overwise it is easy, just time consuming.
phone lines suck ass and electrical is too damn easy. phone line sucks because it is usally limp ass cable and electrical is big stiff and thick (oh god, now sounds like i am talking about penises)

anyway older houses always suck, newer houses are easier

I'm surprised how easy it is to set up a network with a router and DSL when you have competent hardware.

The problem is most companies make pure shit that just plain doesn't work and dumbshit stores don't want to carry the good stuff that's actually functional.

Do NOT EVER EVER get a Belkin router. They simply can not route DSL to computers. It can connect computers to each other and it can receive the DSL connection but can not pass the DSL to the computers. Belkin makes good cables though, just not any real hardware.

D-Link routers apparently work alright and easily except I suspect they suck hardcore at IPX. Because while TCP runs fine, IPX games freeze every few seconds, and C&C Red Alert locks up as soon as you enter the lobby for an ipx game.

I know Linksys is good and Netgear should be too. Does 3com make routers? Those three should be perfectly fine as far as routers and lan cards go.

I also suspect that IPX is broken in Win XP Home Edition, I add the IPX/SPX protocol just the same as Win 95/98 (although it's named different in them) and a friend of mine does in Win XP Pro and it just doesn't seem to work. Doom's ipxsetup is like the benchmark for IPX. If IPX is functional at all, it works. Well under XP Home Edition all I can get is an IPX not detected error.

Fuck Circuit City, Office Max, Staples, etc. Man, Staples has really lost it. I remember when they were really good like 7 years ago. Now they completely blow. Circuit City always sucked and I just never cared much about Office Max. At least they have Office in their name to be boring so they don't get anyone's hopes up.

Yes. It is a star topology LAN.

If anyone can demonstrate to me that they have a mesh topology LAN installed in their home, I'll mail them a magic cookie.

Gokuma said:

D-Link routers apparently work alright and easily except I suspect they suck hardcore at IPX. Because while TCP runs fine, IPX games freeze every few seconds, and C&C Red Alert locks up as soon as you enter the lobby for an ipx game.
B]

IPX is a damn chatty protocol. There are ACK packets for every packet. I don't know why that would be a problem for your router, but that could have something to do with it. Of course the router may just not be capable of routing IPX at all.

DarkWolf said:

IPX is a damn chatty protocol. There are ACK packets for every packet.

Kind of like TCP, then.

where i work we only carry good shit, best buy. we currently carry D-link, linksys, microsoft and netgear. i am surprised how well the microsoft stuff works, yes with linux too. here is a hint bill gates, give up software and get into hardware.
anyways i use a D-link router, 614+ so it is both wired and wireless/. pretty damn good too. I have had no issues with IPX!

however that may be a winXP issue. ceck on that. or maybe a different modle, like i said i use the 614+

3-com makes routers, or they should, they make mostly networking stuff so it would be dumb not to.

also compaines like D-link and linksys support all operating systems that use networking. LINUX/UNIX, MAC, Windows, OS2, and everthing else

This freezing when playing IPX is between two Win 98 SE systems. One is a terrible Compaq Presario though. It didn't have lan card, so I gave my roommate this linksys card. For some reason this one card the comp had in a PCI slot (I forget whether it was video, sound, or modem) was in the second slot from the top and not the first. So I just told my roommate to put the lan card in the first free slot, the top one. When trying to install the card in windows the computer froze every time. Then we moved it down to the next free slot after the card that was there to start with and it worked fine. So it might be the computer still having problems messing up the ipx. TCP did hang for a split-second before. Unfortunately I can't get IPX working on the Win XP HE computers to compare.

Something else weird: ZDoom tcp works fine for all computers, but when trying to play Korax mod (based on Doomsday), a Win XP computer could not connect to the Win 98 ones. It worked fine between the two Win 98 ones.

this one time, at band camp, our network card was so horny it stuck a flute in its rj45 port.

yea winXP plau win98 seems to have some issues. i could alwyas get the winXP system to see and use the other computer but the win98 PC had issues. this was back when i had winXP

havnt tried much linux yet, MACs are easy. and

I have a five computer network. Spread over two houses. The houses are connected by a 150ft cable. I have a 4 port roughter 5 port switch and 4 port hub. All 100mps. and all share the DSL modem.

Took me about 3 years to get it where it is today.

linksys routers are NOT good. stay away.

at home I have a star topology with a linux box as a router/firewall connected to a netgear switch with 7 or 9 ports (I forget). originally I had a linksys router but it was shit so I installed DHCPD and it's be much less sucky since.

right now the network has only three computers on it, but it's had as many as 6 depending on who's home from college

hah, well to run one cable through a air duct we tied a string to a toy poodle and had her run through the duct

My cousin tried networking my computers, but for some reason, they wouldn't connect properly, no matter what we did. My dream of a Cable-ready DOS box was shattered! :(

"what's a network?" a woman asked me. I said "you know when your crotch itches, its that stuff." ok i didn't really say that. but I do get dumb questions at work. can i hook up my nintendo64 to my home network

Isle said:

hah, well to run one cable through a air duct we tied a string to a toy poodle and had her run through the duct

ROFL

Well, my computer is hooked up to a router downstairs so I can access the internet and the printer, but ever since I got this computer (and moved some files to it via the network), I havent used it for anything else.

Back in Jr. High or so, my dad was beta testing a network system of some sort for Intel. Worked pretty well, and my friends and I would play Dukematch and Total Annihilation through it, between the 366mhz P2 which back then was hot shit, and our old, old Pentium. Heh...my dad got a stuffed Intel bunny suit guy for doing that. It was sitting on his computer up till the day he moved to Cali. He probably still has it.

I've given up trying to set up a home lan using tcp/ip as the transport protocol, especially when an XP computer is involved. Using ipx or netbeui always works better. Safer, more reliable, faster and without all the corrupt file transfers.

Besides, having tcp/ip bound to file and printer sharing is a very stupid thing to do anyway.

Isle said:

should have used a ferret. at a local construction company ferrets are used to run wires. they are given a harness with attached wire and get to have fun.

i have also seen powerout let adapters (use the power outlets in ur house)

though i have seen the phone deal i know they suck ass. slow, last one i saw was 1mbps, and unreliable. i have yet to try that outlet deal and i bet it sucks too. besides i wouldnt trust it, if one failed good buy computer (120v AC in a rj45, hoot)

i know for the last half-hour i have been dicking around with the cable modem at my mom's house. my laptop was use to going through the router and had to be re-setup.