Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

New Zdoom in Linux?

I have a friend who is running Linux and wants to use Zdoom. He has everything he needs, but it won't work. He's using Winex to play it but it brings up a Direct Input error. Is there anyway to get Zdoom 2.47 to work in Linux?

Hmmmm...

Zdoom people say that they stopped Linux support, and that they don't any longer support it. They give out the source code if you feel so eager to make your own.

Sometimes people can be so...soooo...windows dependent, it makes me sick.

i asked for information i'd need for linux support on the zdoom forums but nothing very insightful came up. i believe using diffs from the 1.22 code would be the only way to do it.

charris said:

Zdoom people say that they stopped Linux support, and that they don't any longer support it. They give out the source code if you feel so eager to make your own.

I think the reason why there's not an up-to-date Linux version of ZDoom is that 1) Randy's development system in Windows, 2) There's not such a big demans for it and 3) I think that he once said that he doesn't have access to a Linux system anymore.

cyber-menace said:

Well the guys gotta have a friend who can use Linux and program in the OS for a Linux Zdoom.

Why? I don't know anyone who uses Linux in real life (I don't hang around with geeks =P), and I'd assume the same is true for many (most?) people.

cyber-menace said:

Well the guys gotta have a friend who can use Linux and program in the OS for a Linux Zdoom. Who knows he could just be lazy...

dude, don't call randy lazy thats like a capital offense.. he's worked on zdoom for several years and coded in so many features single-handedly that it's pretty amazing he's only a hobbyist.

I suppose, but here's a message for the world, don't forget about the little guys. I bet he doesn't have Mac support either, but I don't know if a Mac could run Zdoom... they tend to crash at the slightest thing.

NiGHTMARE said:

Why? I don't know anyone who uses Linux in real life (I don't hang around with geeks =P), and I'd assume the same is true for many (most?) people.

I do know a few guys (yes, they are true geeks! ;-) ) who use Linux but I have never met anyone who doesn't use Windows at all.

my older brother doesn't use windows at all anymore. and i know plenty of people who use or have used linux to some degree, including myself. i actually would have thought most computer people have used it at some time or another.

charris said:

I myself, use Linux. It's awesome. Much more stable and reliable then windows.

In theory that is correct. But it doesn't help me at all when I don't get the software I need... :-(

The Linux kernel might be stable, but the programs aren't necessarily so. Both KDE's and Gnome's file managers crashed at least once within the first 10 minutes of my using them.

Graf Zahl said:

In theory that is correct.

Only in theory.

Just keep telling yourself linux is more reliable when init starts fighting with another root-owned process (such as Apache) for resources.

Or when the kernel panicks when you install a new driver module, when you unmount a device, or for no apparent reason.

Or when your XF86 instantly locks up the entire system when it starts because the graphics driver that it thinks you should be using isn't actually compatible with your hardware.

Or when Gnome system helper apps, through no fault of your own, start crashing mysteriously so that you have to `rm -rf ~/.gnome*; rm -rf ~/.gconf*` to get it to even start properly again. Trashing all of your personal preferences in the process.

Or when you get root-compromised through any one of a long list of SSH, SSL, Apache, wu-ftpd, obsd ftpd, Sendmail, RPC, etc. vulnerabilities. Leave your system unpatched for a few weeks and you're liable to get cracked--just like Windows!

Yep, Linux is infinitely more preferable to Windows! I don't know why not more people use it!

Yeesh, something tells me you were unlucky with Linux. Charris uses a good lot of the things you mentioned, and he's been using Linux for over a year now and it hasn't crashed even once. While in Windows I have programs or something crash at least twice per use. Explorer errors are the worst of the problems. And now Windows is so f****d up that whenever I try to End Task a program the whole thing freezes up. Damn I wish Gates would grow up and make a more stable OS. All though I do admit that the laptop with XP Professional I was using at a camp I went to never crashed once. I consider that lucky.

cyber-menace said:

Yeesh, something tells me you were unlucky with Linux. Charris uses a good lot of the things you mentioned, and he's been using Linux for over a year now and it hasn't crashed even once. While in Windows I have programs or something crash at least twice per use. Explorer errors are the worst of the problems. And now Windows is so f****d up that whenever I try to End Task a program the whole thing freezes up. Damn I wish Gates would grow up and make a more stable OS. All though I do admit that the laptop with XP Professional I was using at a camp I went to never crashed once. I consider that lucky.

Any system is only as stable as the software and drivers that have been installed on it. In the case you are describing it's obvious that something has seriously fucked up so I strongly recommend a fresh install. This can happen on every OS and is by no means Windows specific. The only reason it happens more often on Windows than on Linux is that it is used much more widely. I have seen a Linux system crash so badly that the company I work for had to be shut down for 2 days until it got repaired (and one lesson I learned from this is that it takes much longer to repair a Linux system than a Windows system!)

Graf Zahl said:

Any system is only as stable as the software and drivers that have been installed on it. In the case you are describing it's obvious that something has seriously fucked up so I strongly recommend a fresh install. This can happen on every OS and is by no means Windows specific. The only reason it happens more often on Windows than on Linux is that it is used much more widely. I have seen a Linux system crash so badly that the company I work for had to be shut down for 2 days until it got repaired (and one lesson I learned from this is that it takes much longer to repair a Linux system than a Windows system!)

Yeah, Linux is hard to repair, but you learn from anything that goes wrong so you can do it 3x faster the next time. Kinda like how certain glitches in my Doom Maps can take forever to repair. I really hate it when it takes me 30+ attemps to fix something.

That sounds about par for the course for Mandrake.

Of course, the "better" distributions aren't that much better.

---------- said:
That sounds about par for the course for Mandrake.

Of course, the "better" distributions aren't that much better.

I used to use mandrake. Too slow for me. Slackware is my distro.

If you're gonna bump a thread that's over a month old, at least do it with something that actually makes sense.

Some distos are really nasty. There are 3 recommended, and they go my experiance:
Newbie: Mandrake
Intermediate: Debian
Advanced: Slackware

Slackware has almost no automated menus or wizards, while MDK does most of it almost by it self.

Some people use SuSE, which i guess isn't that bad. I'vge used MDK and Slackware.

I do, however admit it's a pain to get up and running (but once it IS running it's a dream).

I have never had an installer issue. Slack installed in 15 minutes (full install). One full CD.

For those that want to test it out, try Slackware-Live, a distro that boots from CD ROM and does no R-W to the filesystem.

http://slackware-live.com

cyber-menace said:

I suppose, but here's a message for the world, don't forget about the little guys. I bet he doesn't have Mac support either, but I don't know if a Mac could run Zdoom... they tend to crash at the slightest thing.

...you're kidding, right?

I really wish he did have a Mac port of Zdoom though. ^_^

well randy makes so frequant updates that there is no piont in compling it in linux
but your free to do it your self id think
im sure he will make one when 2.1.0 comes out