Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

It's Not Late, It's Aged (Like Cheese)

Saw on yee ole Forums that there's a new interview with Tim Willits up on PlanetQuake. From Quakecon. Well, even though PQ has taken their sweet time posting the interview, it's still a pretty good read, with more info on Doom 3 including stuff on the monsters, weapon balance, multiplayer info, some technical stuff and more. Snip:

Well there are certain things you do that are very "game-y," to appeal to the gameplayers, and then there are also suspense areas where we have long areas of the game simply building up to something. So it's not simply "every room's going to have a monster in it, and the next room's going to have a monster," but we'll get that balanced and tweaked. We have scenes that play out that have action sequences, and scenes that are gross-out sequences, so hopefully we'll have enough variation with that. Scary movies aren't scary the whole time, but they do have some cool moments.

So there you go, check it out.

Cyb said:

It's Not Late, It's Aged (Like Cheese)

Gandalf said:

A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Willits said:

Scary movies aren't scary the whole time, but they do have some cool moments.

Another thing scary movies do, that Stephen King described as something like "the 20 foot cockroach effect". If you tell an audience there is a 20 foot cockroach at the door and leave it to their imagination they are like "OMG, THERE'S A 20 FOOT COCKROACH AT THE DOOR" but if you show them a special effect of a 20 foot cockroach at the door they are like "oh look, it's a 20 foot cockroach". Lets hope Doom3 manages to throw a little of that into the mix too.

No, not a cockroach. o_O

20 foot cockroaches in Doom would be great. Doomguy could be armed with giant cannons that shoot RAID.

I'm pretty happy there's an official confirmation of "Hell in DOOM3" now, of course it was expectable but it's great to hear it is indeed in. DOOM just wouldn't be the same without Hell you know.

Heh it would be cool if there were insects in Doom 3. Just regular insects crawling around here and there. For detail and making the world more animated.

well if there aren't all the monsters are very insect-like as consolation ;)

5hfifty said:

Why would there be insects in a base on Mars?

Why are there house mice in the United States?

Why are there gypsy moths in North America?

Why are there Africanized honey bees in the South?

Why are there European pine sawflies in British Columbia?

etc.

Why are there demonic creatures in a base on Mars?

BlackFish said:

A fly or a cockroach could have been in a transport. :P

Well, at least two or more, really, since their lifespan is actually shorter than the amount of time it takes to get from Earth to Mars, so you have to account for reproductive cycles.

Or perhaps eggs deposited in the contents of the transport remained dormant for some reason.

insects on mars seems like a retarded idea to me. the odds of more than one of a single species of insect getting to mars via a transport or teleporter is pretty damn minimal, and just tossing something in because it seems interesting regardless of the fact it would both have no impact on gameplay and make little sense is a stupid idea imho.

It's not like they'd just let anything get onto some space ship. They'd make sure not to let anything like that, unless it's for reasearch, get through. Unless they used some stargate thing like with the demons heh.

dude roaches are one of the most versatile and enduring species ever, if anything can survive a trip to mars and flourish once there it's roaches

Cyb said:

dude roaches are one of the most versatile and enduring species ever, if anything can survive a trip to mars and flourish once there it's roaches

yeah but wouldn't they notice the damn things floating around all the way over? chances are pretty poor multiple cockroaches could get into the ship at all, and even if they did the astronauts wouldn't let the damn things just hang out. plus i have my doubts they could survive on mars anyway.

heh, roaches can hold their breath for 40 mins, and live in 0C temps, currently roaches are all over the world, including the north and south pole (they survive by living around humans). they can live for a month without food and a week without water. they can live for a week without a head and even then they only die because they can't drink any water without a mouth. (http://roachcom.net/rofacts/)

I don't have any doubt about them surviving, nor really getting onto a ship, though that really depends on how clean the food storage is, which I'm sure wouldn't be 100% sanitary and roach free. even restaurants are actually allotted a certain # of roaches they can have in the kitchen before they are fined or shut down.

Unfortunately yes, roaches would make it. Wherever there are humans, there are roaches. That's just the way it is.

Do I want to see them in Doom 3? HELL FUCKING NO. Im man enough to admit that when I see a cockroach, I run screaming like a little girl. Even the little bug things in HL bothered me a bit. And I certainly dont want to see them with bump mapping and such.

Of course roaches would make it. You put food on a spaceship, you get vermin (etc.) or something.

In general if someone was going to build a big installation on mars they'd need other lifeforms to create a viable ecosystem. I think a cold, clinical, empty base is far less realistic.

What would be quite cool is having the doom guy make friends with a 20 foot cockroach, perhaps it would let him ride it places. They can climb walls and stuff, can't they?

mars only has 1% as much atmosphere as earth, and what it does have isn't the same stuff. it has 1/2000th the oxygen of earth, freezing temperatures and low gravity that could barely even hold onto them ignored. hell, roaches haven't even managed to invade oregon yet so i can't well imagine them hanging around mars. as for an ecosystem, they'd probably just bring cultures of cows and such and clone them for food when they got there :P i doubt they'd be trying to populate the whole of the planet, more likely they'd keep stuff indoors just for their own eating pleasure.

I meant indoors.. you'd need oxygen which means you need plant life in a symbiotic relationship with oxygen-eaters like us. You need to fertilise the plant life, and you also need a renewable source of food, both problems which can be solved with cattle.

If you're going to have cows, plants and dung in a space station, cockroaches don't seem that unlikely.

Gaaaaah!!!!!111

I didn't mean put cockroaches into Doom3. O_o

I meant put something in that taps into a some of the true suspense and terror that can only be conjured up from within your own mind - as well as all the blowing away of demons and so on. :-)

Enjay said:

Gaaaaah!!!!!111

I didn't mean put cockroaches into Doom3. O_o

I meant put something in that taps into a some of the true suspense and terror that can only be conjured up from within your own mind - as well as all the blowing away of demons and so on. :-)

No I don't want cockroaches in Doom3! That's a stupid idea.

;)

Shaviro said:

No I don't want cockroaches in Doom3! That's a stupid idea.

;)

OK, OK, so I asked for that. :-)

Actually, ONE cockroach in Doom 3 would be kinda cool. It could scamper across the hall just as you're about to walk into a major shitstorm... just a way of pointing out that something is amiss. Maybe you could even track it afterward and it could lead you to a secret. However, this should only ever be used once.

no I think an even better idea would be if you had a cockroach helper who followed you around and said many clever phrases such as "damn that's a bigass imp" and "kiss my roach ass!" and whenever he ran into an obstacle such as a wall or a small pebble he would get stuck and you'd be unable to exit the level. and you wouldn't be able to kill him, or if you managed to he'd show up again a few seconds later. yeah, that would be awesome.

sargebaldy said:

yeah but wouldn't they notice the damn things floating around all the way over?

For all we know these ships are supposed to have gravity plating, Star Trek style.

Besides, I heard a rumour that the crew of Apollo 12 only found a cockroach that had sneaked onboard their craft when they were already something like half to the moon... and obviously a ship travelling to Mars - especially one carrying a huge amount of construction materials - would be rather a lot bigger than one of the Apollo craft, and so there would be far more places for multiple 'roaches to hide.

Sign in to follow this