Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TH-555

Pentagrams

hey, will doom3 have pentagram items in it?
does anyone know what sort of vile secrets we can access? i mean like cool stuff final doom or whatever like stuff that is really hard to find like the pentagram items in 64

Pentagrams: Yeap, we've already seen a pentagram in the 2002 E3 presentation, so they're in all right.

As for the rest, we don't know - frankly, we know very little about what's actually in Doom 3 apart from the weapons and some of the monsters.

dsm said:

Pentagrams: Yeap, we've already seen a pentagram in the 2002 E3 presentation, so they're in all right.

Hmm? I haven't seen a pentagram picture yet. Show me.

TSTuke said:

Hmm? I haven't seen a pentagram picture yet. Show me.

I saw it in the bootleg video of the 2002 E3 presentation.
We saw a naked guy, which had had his stomach torn open, writhing in agony on a glowing pentagram.

Fredrik said:

Why this obsession with pentacles?

Same reason why some of us are obsessed with Doom having a scary atmosphere, same reason why some of us want the Doom guy to wear a helmet (even if that's probably a retarded wish).

We want the new game to have as lot in common with the old game as humanly possible while still be totally new. Pentagrams and other occult and demonic elements are an important aspect in capturing the particular hellish "Doom" atmosphere.

So far, they've got the space station part of Doom right - now it's just all about waiting for the game to come out so that we may see the truly hellish parts (I don't think they'll show off any of this before launch, because that'll spoil too much).

Pentacles are beautiful and a vital part of all successful interior decoration. Especially if they glow and ooze red liquid.

i am really afraid of pentagrams...better they put in fluffy the rabbit from hell and some octahedrons :)

dsm said:

Same reason why some of us are obsessed with Doom having a scary atmosphere, same reason why some of us want the Doom guy to wear a helmet (even if that's probably a retarded wish).

We want the new game to have as lot in common with the old game as humanly possible while still be totally new. Pentagrams and other occult and demonic elements are an important aspect in capturing the particular hellish "Doom" atmosphere.

So far, they've got the space station part of Doom right - now it's just all about waiting for the game to come out so that we may see the truly hellish parts (I don't think they'll show off any of this before launch, because that'll spoil too much).

after wacthing that e3 demo of the game, i coudnt believe how freaking scary the space station was. OMG hell is gonna be like 5x scarier ^_^

anyone wanna post a picture of the D3 pentagram? i total noob i have no luck finind this crap

TH-555 said:

anyone wanna post a picture of the D3 pentagram? i total noob i have no luck finind this crap

Like zoorado said : No pictures from the leak alpha...

darky said:

It's not IN the leak alpha.

Yes its in the alpha. It wont show up in the intro video if your video card is lagging. Ive noticed with alot of cheap cards that the sound and video are way off sink too. But its DEFINITELY IN the alpha.

TH-555 said:

http://www.amdmb.com/images/editorsday1003/Doom3.jpg

On the screen, right behind the new Hell Knight - it's difficult to see if that's a pentagram (because those circles may confuse you), but it's the exact same type of pentagram shown in the alpha and bootleg video.

sniperfrommars1 said:

Yes its in the alpha. It wont show up in the intro video if your video card is lagging. Ive noticed with alot of cheap cards that the sound and video are way off sink too. But its DEFINITELY IN the alpha.

I see...

Well, I can't even get the alpha to work on my new computer, and on the old one, couldn't get the intro up.

Strange. But anyway, I had no idea there was actually demonic stuff in the alpha.

dsm said:

http://www.amdmb.com/images/editorsday1003/Doom3.jpg

On the screen, right behind the new Hell Knight - it's difficult to see if that's a pentagram (because those circles may confuse you), but it's the exact same type of pentagram shown in the alpha and bootleg video.

By the geometry of it it looks more like a david's star (wtf??). In fact that image is the same the one on the pre-release box. On the back of the box it shows it without the hk covering it and it is indeed in the shape of a david's star. The one in the alpha was a proper 5-point pentagram.

DaJuice said:

By the geometry of it it looks more like a david's star (wtf??). In fact that image is the same the one on the pre-release box. On the back of the box it shows it without the hk covering it and it is indeed in the shape of a david's star. The one in the alpha was a proper 5-point pentagram.

Why the hell, did they change this??

Idunno, the only thing I can think of is that maybe they don't wanna market the game with imagery that could be linked with devil-worship, or satanism or somesuch. You know, trying to play it politically correct to avoid some of the bad associations that the media has made with id's games, particularly Doom. It would be pretty lame if that's the case, but I guess I'd understand.
Whatever, I'm probably just talking out of my ass like usual.

DaJuice said:
Idunno, the only thing I can think of is that maybe they don't wanna market the game with imagery that could be linked with devil-worship, or satanism or somesuch. You know, trying to play it politically correct to avoid some of the bad associations that the media has made with id's games, particularly Doom. It would be pretty lame if that's the case, but I guess I'd understand.
Whatever, I'm probably just talking out of my ass like usual.

I have a more disturbing theory… remember the Swastika from the early version or doom? (Version 0.99) Doom 3 seems to have demons that like to draw the Star of David every whare... For get the links to Wicca shenanigans, I’m more concerned about the hidden nazi messages!! :P

I was kinda talking about pentagram items, ya know the secret items in doom absolution for N64 that allowed you to access the switches to the gates of hell

uniQ said:

i am really afraid of pentagrams...better they put in fluffy the rabbit from hell and some octahedrons :)

what the hell. rabbits come on now that's a little chidish is it not?

doom master 16 said:

what the hell. rabbits come on now that's a little chidish is it not?

Hello, I'm BBG, the local sarcasm detector repair-man, it looks like your sarcasm detector unit has shorted out.

Ooooh man.

Replacing a pentagram with a star of David is -- senseless, don't you think!?

That's a Jewish symbol and has everything to do with the OPPOSITE of demons! That's silly. They should stick with genuine satanic imagery, and if anything, pump up the controversy level even more and add something even more "satanic" to the emblems.

mje said:

Replacing a pentagram with a star of David is -- senseless, don't you think!?

That's a Jewish symbol and has everything to do with the OPPOSITE of demons! That's silly.

It actually makes sense. Your perception of what a symbol is seems to be a bit too simple. Symbols aren´t trademark logos, you can´t say hexagram = jewish in any case.

The hexagram has other magical meanings which have nothing to do with jewish religion, just like the pentagram does not have just one meaning and does not mean something evil necessarely.

The hexagram was used by the ancient Egyptians in necromantic rituals for example.

the pentagram in the alpha is actually the symbol for the necronomicon (most people consider it "the book of the dead") and is also related to H.P. Lovecrafts work - the circles on the outside of the pentagram's outer ring i assume where added there to give it additional look, or id softwares "version" of it.

But all in all thats what the symbol is :), not just an ordinary pentagram :p.

Click for Symbol