Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Funeral Fog

Carmacks comments from the PCGamer article

John Carmack isn't totally satisfied with the monsters yet.
Says John Carmack:
I've not got a true sense of evil from the monsters yet.
They're not aliens..but demons from HELL...and they have issues with your soul.

What do you think this means, I like the monster designs, but I wouldn't complain if this means more demonic stuff .

DISCUSS OR SOMETHING

PQ: So, I imagine you've finalized the monster count by now...

TW: Actually, we haven't. We actually removed a monster not long ago, and then came up with some cool ideas for some new guys that worked, so we're going back and forth on that. But that's actually where we are in the game development. We have just about everything built and we're optimizing, of course. And right now we're balancing the monsters. If we get good ideas for monsters we'll work them in, and then we have to go back and balance to make sure the scenarios play out, that the sequences are fun, and so on.

PQ: How long does it take to create a monster?

TW: Kenneth [Scott] is really, really fast. He can make a high-polygon model in less than a week - five days or so. It takes about a day to skin it and to put the bones in, and then he'll work on the texture for a week or so while Fred [Nilsson] and James [Houska] work on the animations. Then there's the sound and scripting to finish after that. But Kenneth can make the high-polygon model extremely quickly.

This makes sense then. Didn't they know from the start? phhhhh. ~3 weeks per monster. Is monster the right word? Demons/evil beings or the fallen angel, satan himself.....

I guess the sense of evil and sense of something really damn scary are two different things. Those head-spiders alone are enough to make me want to run and barricade myself in a room (in the game) and hide, crouched in the corner with the rocket launcher facing the door.

I dunno about you, but whenever I interpret the Doom universe and the Hell within it, I don't like to see the demons as fallen angels - it's more like Hell's different from the bible's interpretation and the demons are really just the nightmarish creations of Hell.

I'm quite tired of the classical Christian interpretation of Hell - Christianity din't invent Hell, merely it gave Hell its present name. Hell has had many forms and shapes throughout time.
And I have my own interpretation of Hell.

Hell in the Doom universe, the way I see it, is a place where souls are gathered and tormented if they have enough "negative value" (heh) about them and it's a place where nightmarish creatures, that aren't like normal, living animals, 'live'.

Also in my idea of Doom's Hell, The Devil is actually Hell itself - sorta like, Hell is alive.

dsm said:

I dunno about you, but whenever I interpret the Doom universe and the Hell within it, I don't like to see the demons as fallen angels - it's more like Hell's different from the bible's interpretation and the demons are really just the nightmarish creations of Hell.

I'm quite tired of the classical Christian interpretation of Hell - Christianity din't invent Hell, merely it gave Hell its present name. Hell has had many forms and shapes throughout time.
And I have my own interpretation of Hell.

Hell in the Doom universe, the way I see it, is a place where souls are gathered and tormented if they have enough "negative value" (heh) about them and it's a place where nightmarish creatures, that aren't like normal, living animals, 'live'.

Also in my idea of Doom's Hell, The Devil is actually Hell itself - sorta like, Hell is alive.

Couldent of said it better myself, another reason why I like seeing parts in the game were the surrounding are alive and made out of skin and bleeding and shit. Give you the feeling that you are really in the middle and alone in hells own alive and tormented world.

I see the "monsters" in doom as something from the 9th Circle of "Dante's Inferno" (which is a good read, btw).

Personally I like the vision of hell as shown in Event Horizon - mysterious and weird. I really hope id puts in such sick scenes like the video message found on the "horizon". That Imho was really sick.

Some Hyronimus Bosch inspired settings would be cool, too.

uniQ said:

Personally I like the vision of hell as shown in Event Horizon - mysterious and weird. I really hope id puts in such sick scenes like the video message found on the "horizon". That Imho was really sick.

Some Hyronimus Bosch inspired settings would be cool, too.

Of course Hell should be weird and sick. It should be a mixture of the fleshy, livelike environments we found in Q3A's "Hell" arenas, together with things that just make you go "Wtf!?".

Hell is many things, so Hell maps in Doom 3 should be like more than one theme. In Q3A, the Hell themes just seemed like the typical flesh walls coupled with a few goth walls and stuff, but it should be much, much more in Doom 3. I really want to feel confused when in Hell. I want to see things defy physics in Hell.

And if they could throw in stuff that seem like weird nightmare hallucinations, then it would definitely be awesome.

Btw, I haven't seen Event Horizon (but I d/l'ed a sound file with the video message - creepy!) - do we actually see Hell in that movie and if yes, what's it like (apart from being sick and mysterious)?

dsm said:

Btw, I haven't seen Event Horizon (but I d/l'ed a sound file with the video message - creepy!) - do we actually see Hell in that movie and if yes, what's it like (apart from being sick and mysterious)?

You don't see "hell" as an actual place in that movie. The spaceship "event horizon" had an experimental drive and when they used that drive the ship disappeard/was transported to "hell". after lots of years it reappeares and is now posessed by hellish forces. no monsters just a hellish surrounding. the "rescue team" has to deal with "epiphanies" from hell.
It's a real nice horror/SciFi movie. I even bought the DVD.

I have to admit that I don't like the "gothic" architecture for hell - it the atipical hell setting. this and "lava" seas :(

I really hope id comes up with some new ideas.
Maybe they read some books about the psyche of mass murders - this is satan/belzebub/whatever in pure culture.

Twisted physics in hell would be really cool. Fleshy/organic walls sound good too. malformed monsters/ex-humans would be nice too.

uniQ said:

I have to admit that I don't like the "gothic" architecture for hell - it the atipical hell setting. this and "lava" seas :(

I absolutely agree - I only mentioned it before because it was in Q3A. If there's to be any goth design in Doom 3, it should be limited to green marble areas :-)
Nah, they can keep gothic design for the Quake games, Doom 3 is not gonna be like Quake.

But yeah, your ideas and wishes sound really cool. Let's hope iD have been thorough with Hell on not been like "Oh what the Hell, just throw some Q3A style, flesh walls and goth walls together - those are always popular."

I would favour a fire and brimstone look (without lava) for Hell, with imagery like that in Event Horizon. I'm not sure about flesh - if done properly, making 'sense' it could be a good thing, but not in the decor style it was used in Q3.

From what i've seen of the enemies this is my opinion.

Zombies(fat and maintenance): Usually the concept of zombies is that they're hellish. I suppose floating translucent skulls possessing people into zombies is quite hellish. The maintenance zombie looks a little alien-like though.
Labzombie: Pretty hellish.
chainsaw zombie: hellish
commando: Kinda hellish. The tentacle arm looks alien-like but i've seen hell movies where there were demons with tentacle arms.
imp: alien-like with the exception of the disfigured chest
demon:alien-like
hellknight:A walking juggernaught with eye sockets but no eyes. Hellish
Revenant: Looks like something out of robocop.
Lost soul: Hellish. I don't think aliens or robots would have that sort of design
Trites: Hellish
Those flying babies: Hellish
Those ghosts that chuck corpses around: Hellish. No discussion.

Unless the alien design is so apparant that it's slapping you in the face, i don't see a reason for carmack to be too miffed about it. After all the old dooms had some pretty alien like designs.

Never the less though i'd like to see some cloven-hooved demons too. ^_^

TSTuke said:

Unless the alien design is so apparant that it's slapping you in the face, i don't see a reason for carmack to be to miffed about it. After all the old dooms had some pretty alien like designs.

Never the less though i'd like to see some cloven-hooved demons too. ^_^

I think Carmack is trying to nail the ol' "the demons are space aliens" myth to prevent that another Doom novel would pop up with the demons as aliens.
He probably wants to make it clear from the start that those things are Hell beings - I mean, a lot of the old monsters were clearly depicted as demons (horns, hoofed feet), but there were still people who were like "they're aliens".

You also have to regard Carmack as a bit of an artist - a good artist is rarely satisfied with his/her own work. You have to be a damn perfectionist to be a good artist, so Carmack is in his full right to be slightly dissatisfied with the demons :-)

dsm said:

You also have to regard Carmack as a bit of an artist - a good artist is rarely satisfied with his/her own work. You have to be a damn perfectionist to be a good artist, so Carmack is in his full right to be slightly dissatisfied with the demons :-)

Heh. Me and Carmack are the same league then. B)

Funeral Fog said:

What do you think this means, I like the monster designs, but I wouldn't complain if this means more demonic stuff .

DISCUSS OR SOMETHING

AHHH KILL THE SMILEY!!!

Fredrik said:

Hell... that'd be something like the hives in the Alien movies >_<

It'd be best from the first movie.