Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

PRBoom 2.3.0 Beta Announced

Hot on the heels of yesterday's PRBoom 2.2.4 release comes today's annunciation of the public beta release of PRBoom 2.3.0. What's new in the next major release cycle of PRBoom so far? Well, aside from the usual plethora of fixes there is:

• the OpenGL libs are loaded dynamically, only one executable for software rendering and OpenGL
  • option for sound compatibility with original Doom
  • added more compatibility levels (check frontend configurations!)
  • in game switching between fullscreen and windowed mode
  • support for more and less then 8 channels
  • improved response file parser
  • replaced use_vsync with use_doublebuffer in cfg file and implemented double buffering
  • added a quake like console
  • new menu code and much more options available through it
  • reworked software renderer
  • bilinear filter for software rendering
  • AdvanceScale2x like filter, but working on individual lines not fullscreen
  • smooth edges on masked textures and sprites
  • 16bit and 32bit software rendering
  • sound and video settings changeable while running (Software OpenGL)
  • VIDD (Version Independant Doom Demo) support

Beat the heck out of this beta and report those bugs--grab it at the PRBoom home page.

2.2.4 has gldoom, 2.3 not.
And well a big thanx to the people working on this. I consider this good software and I'm using it not only for lauching all doom wads it can run but also as a tool for quickly checking out multiple wads at the same time. Also when another port crashes and leaves my desktop at 480*640 I'm using the new task from the task manager to get my desktop back in order.

I'm too lazy to contact the author(s)... so here are some bugs (se my system specs at the bottom):

"test framerate" won't work if you've changed resolution unless you restart

"always run" setting omitted from menus (available through console though)

when doing -fastdemo and starting a game while demo is running, game speed it set to that of the fastdemo

-timedemo doesn't give me a result; where am I supposed to see the # of gametics?

the IWAD loading is very very buggy, hardly works at all

OpenGL mode took a while to find in the BPP settings... why hide it there?

in full view (no statbar) weapons are drawn too high

also I'm getting desynch problems with Final DOOM demos, even when loading DOOM2.WAD as IWAD and TNT.WAD/PLUTONIA.WAD as PWAD. Still testing ways to get that to work though.

---

Specs: Athlon XP 2500+ (OC to 2200MHz), Matrox G400MAX dualhead with twin 19" monitors, 1GB PC2700 RAM @ 180MHZ (DDR).

ukiro said:

I'm too lazy to contact the author(s)... so here are some bugs (se my system specs at the bottom):

"test framerate" won't work if you've changed resolution unless you restart

Have to look at that.

"always run" setting omitted from menus (available through console though)

Thanks for pointing out that it works from the console.

when doing -fastdemo and starting a game while demo is running, game speed it set to that of the fastdemo

-timedemo doesn't give me a result; where am I supposed to see the # of gametics?

It's printed to the console, but I don't know if PrBoom quits after -timedemo (writing this without being able to test).

the IWAD loading is very very buggy, hardly works at all

Hmm, have to test that again. If you don't set -iwad on the commandline it should work.

OpenGL mode took a while to find in the BPP settings... why hide it there?

Tell me a better place.

in full view (no statbar) weapons are drawn too high

Have to look at that.

also I'm getting desynch problems with Final DOOM demos, even when loading DOOM2.WAD as IWAD and TNT.WAD/PLUTONIA.WAD as PWAD. Still testing ways to get that to work though.

It should work if you set tnt/plutonia as the iwad, otherwise PrBoom doesn't recognize them. If not, please send a link to an offending demo.

---

Specs: Athlon XP 2500+ (OC to 2200MHz), Matrox G400MAX dualhead with twin 19" monitors, 1GB PC2700 RAM @ 180MHZ (DDR).

Thanks for the bug report, but please copy it to a mail the next time or we might not see it.

I beat the build process last night, but I failed the run challenge.. try again today.

Well, I tried the latest version of PrBoom on Ultimate Doom, Doom2, TNT: Evilution and Plutonia. I didn't have one "de-synch" issue with any of the above. I let the demos run over and over without a glitch.

When I changed the "sound sampling" I would lose the music but not the sound effects. When I exited the game and came back the music was back on with the new settings.

Also, I just set my "Caps lock" key for run and off I went...:)

Windows XP Professional
768 megs of SDram
GeForce2 Ultra 64megs of DDR memory
Soundblaster Live! Value

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

sargebaldy said:

hmmm, i looked again and the demos don't desync if you just let them go, but if you use the 'play demo' feature they do.

Good catch! This helps alot.

To all others:
Thanks for the bug reports. Even better would be if they would be added to the bugs page on sourceforge. Again: You are all of great help.

Regards,
Florian 'Proff' Schulze