Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Patent on Carmack's Reverse

I saw overhere that some guys patented the method that became known as Carmack's Reverse for creating shadows. Here is some info that suggests carmack independently invented the algoritm with the guys owning the patent.

Going back a few years, there was the famous "Carmack On Shadow Volumes" text file [6], which is nothing more that an email from John Carmack of id Software to Mark Kilgard of Nvidia about the derivation of the depth-fail shadow volume implementation. It's interesting to note that Carmack independently discovered the depth-fail method while Bill Bilodeau and Mike Songy [7] had also presented similar approach to shadow volumes. Consequently, the depth-fail method is now commonly known as "Carmack's Reverse

Could the owners of the patent make some money out of it? (I would try, i think)

The thing is, even if Carmack came up with the idea independently, and never even had the slightest suspicion that someone might've done it before him, he can still get sued for patent infringment.

Same thing happens in the (proper) scientific field where people come up with very similar theories separately, like Darwin and that other guy that indepenently came up with evolution theories. Actually, it happens in practically any field of knowledge or even form of art; I sure know it happens in lingustics and writing. It's a question of the limited spectrum of current knowledge, based on the material conditions of the times; to fully exploit hardware you're necessarily going to go in certain directions, because the hardware has a more or less definite set of specs.

I work for a Litigation Graphics Company where to do patent infringement suits and there are people who actually develop patents, let them sit in waiting till somebody who can profit more off the idea makes it so they can sue and make money without ever raising a finger to produce it.

Cheap but effektiv.

MatrixmaN said:

I work for a Litigation Graphics Company where to do patent infringement suits and there are people who actually develop patents, let them sit in waiting till somebody who can profit more off the idea makes it so they can sue and make money without ever raising a finger to produce it.

Cheap but effektiv.

I cant make anything coherent out of this. If I ignore everything before "there are people" then it makes sense, but it might be out of context.

Anyway, who are these people and what are the names and addresses of their loved ones?