Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraviolet

What makes a good The /newstuff Chronicles?

deathz0r said:

Material available definitely. Don't you peons realise that already?

I just wanted to increase my postcount! *runs away crying*

making legit, backed up comments about a map and then having everyone argue about it as well as reviewing ethics/preferences/blah blah blah for 100+ posts

The maps.

The reviewer is kind of important but ultimately I ignore them anyway and see for myself, as you always should.

Reviewer. Even the most blase' crap can be entertaining with a witty, harsh review. Plus I love reading those little disclaimers at the beginning, explaining how one reviewer was lazy so the one writing the disclaimer is taking up the slack, etc.

Well obviously the maps are the one thing of overriding importance. Even the best-written T/nC is ultimately pointless if all the reviewer can honestly say is "don't bother with any of these".

If there are good maps, then ideally the reviewer should help guide readers to those of them that will most be in tune with their own (i.e. each reader's) preferences. That's not necessarily very easy to do though, and as pritch says, it makes sense to check out for yourself any maps that sound even vaguely interesting.