Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

More Doom 3 Info

Check out this article on computerandvideogames.com for some more various info on Doom 3 in an interview with id CEO Todd Hollenshead:

The official release date is: "When it's done." We're not actually working towards any specific date, we just want to get towards the experience we're aiming for, then we'll worry about dates once we've done that.

We do not anticipate that we're going to be done this year, but we're working to get the game finished as soon as we can. As soon as we know the release date, trust us, we'll let you know...

There's also two new screenshots which you may have seen recently in an issue of PC Gamer (or maybe you just saw scans of them online) of the Revenant and a bunch of Trites (that's the name of those head-spider thingies right?). I've mirrored them in DW's own Doom 3 screenshots section as well. Thanks Shacknews.

Pretty nice, I gotta check this trite pic out.

I liked the Revenent better, though the Trite shot was indeed pretty cool.

Holy crap! Looks like there's situations where we'll be fighting dozens of monsters at once after all.
At least when it comes to Trites :-)

On the downside, they confirmed that D3's gonna be a linear experience, waaaaah!

dsm said:

Holy crap! Looks like there's situations where we'll be fighting dozens of monsters at once after all.
At least when it comes to Trites :-)

On the downside, they confirmed that D3's gonna be a linear experience, waaaaah!

Most SP FPS games these days are pretty linear. I don't think it'll detract from Doom 3 being a great game though.

5hfifty said:

Why the hell is there a ghost-like body outline around the Revenant?

good quiestion, I didn't notice it at first.

My main gripe is that the skins are so under-detailed. I want pores! scars! texture! not just smooth single-colour surfaces. It seems that they are putting to much trust in the bumpmapping and just forgot what a good skin can do for a character. just because the engine can make things loko shiny in a neat way doesn't mean EVERYTHING has to be smooth and shiny damnit...

5hfifty said:

Indeed, there is! It's even more visible in the D3_E32003.mov high-res movie floating around on the net somewhere. You see a Revenant running after the player backtracking like a mad-man down a hallway. Got the file on my HD somewhere... pretty cool trailer/teaser actually.

Andy Olivera said:

Who wants to bet they got the idea for the Trites from The Thing? :-)

Already been discussed in the Doom 3 forum.

ukiro said:

oh, according to this article Doom 3 will have arch-viles! YAAAAAY!

Who wants to bet they got the idea for the Trites from The Thing? :-)

Welcome to yesteryear.

Same as above: Welcome to yesteryear.
The Revenant has a ghost outline because it simply looks cool.
Check out the screenshots section and read the seven PC Gamer mag scans from last year. Somewhere within that article, the explanation is lurking.
If you're too lazy to pass up on a really exciting read (some are), here's what I remember:
Kenneth Scott (I think) put up the outer transparent frame on the Revenant because it was easier to work on the model with that one on. When he was done with the model, he looked at it and thought that the glowing, swirling effect looked truly cool, so he left it on.

So, uh, how come scans are allowed in the DW image archive yet posting links to scans in the forums is virtually a bannable offence?

NiGHTMARE said:

So, uh, how come scans are allowed in the DW image archive yet posting links to scans in the forums is virtually a bannable offence?

I dunno - all I know is that the scans are up on this site's screenshot section.
Maybe it's because that particular issue isn't in circulation anymore.

Maybe it's because nobody actually ever looks at the screenshots section, whereas the forums are pretty active. Maybe it's because Ling said he'd keep 'em up 'til Imagine complained. Et cetera ad infinitum.

auxois said:

Maybe it's because nobody actually ever looks at the screenshots section, whereas the forums are pretty active. Maybe it's because Ling said he'd keep 'em up 'til Imagine complained. Et cetera ad infinitum.

Ah but they DID complain and I remember suddenly becoming very busy in the Doom 3 forum, killing any and all links to said scans, so that they wouldn't sue us.

But I also vaguely remember Ling (or somebody else) saying that he'd put them back up once the issue was sufficiently old - I don't remember the details.