Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

New article + 2 screenshots

Aux, here's where I'm losing you. You're sitting here bitching about how we can't seem to comprehend your gun/light at the same time setup, yet you don't seem to be able to grasp the simplicity of the decision id made?

If you have your gun out, you can shoot an enemy instantly.

If you have your flashlight out, you cannot shoot instantly but you might see the enemies coming from farther away.

It's really, ridiculously simple. It's a gameplay decision. Realism doesn't even come into play here. id decided they wanted to keep a heavy emphasis on dark & scary locales (which is obviously what the engine is strong at), so they had to find a way to prevent the player from blazing through the game with his light on at all times. I'm glad they made the decision that they did. Having played the alpha extensively, I can see how quickly having an ever-present flashlight could ruin the scare factor of the game.

edit: Is your life so devoid of meaning that the only way you can get your thrills is to hurl insults at people you don't even know via a text means? Jesus, man.. get a grip.

auxois said:I treat people as they act. When you act like a fool, I will treat you as one.

Oh man, what an intelligent thing to do - so in your logic, everyone who doesn't share your opinion should be slagging YOU off (because you're probably being the biggest fool here - you, a person who once came up with that ridiculous claim that there's no such thing as rape, tsk!).

And that's another thing - why are you taking all this personally? If you weren't such a newb you'd realize that flaming and trolling are daily occurances on these forums. Especially when I'm the one on the keyboard. If you can't handle it, it's certainly not my problem.

Get a life and open your fucking eyes - these forums have changed. People do not like to be insulted - not in real life and neither on a forum. Just go on any other internet forum and try out your retarded anti-social behaviour there and you'll see what I mean. It does not matter at all that it's just a damn avatar insulting me - there's still a person hiding behind it who indicate that I'm some kind of useless outcast - I do not like that, nor do I forgive such things!
Btw, several other Members who behaved even remotely like you got their asses banned - you've only made it thus far without getting banned, because for some reason only Hell itself knows, Ling and a few of the top-guys from the days of old seem to like you. Well here's a hint: Most of the current Members hate you and your lowlife, monkey behavior!

The technique is known as "adding insult to injury." I've already defeated your point, now I'm going to defeat you in a battle of wits. It encourages spiteful or hateful replies, which are not only amusing but also serve to extend the argument even further with the idea that you'll make a logical mistake due to hotheadedness somewhere along the way. It's pretty standard on most forums amongst trolls and the like. You must REALLY be a newb not to be familiar with it. [/edit]

Hah! So far, you're only making yourself looking like more of an immature ass, because you utterly fail to see simple logic even if it's two inches before your fucking eyes and you are apparently crazy or ignorant enough to think that people LIKE discussing things where their counterpart seems to be attacking them personally.

The only thing you've managed to do thus far is ruin a perfectly good topic for the rest of us, AND scare any potential future Members away from this site, because when they take one glance at this thread, they'll instantly make the assumption that ALL Doomworlders are complete assholes - congrats.

Pathetic, truly pathetic.

dsm said:
Get a life and open your fucking eyes - these forums have changed. People do not like to be insulted - not in real life and neither on a forum. Just go on any other internet forum and try out your retarded anti-social behaviour there and you'll see what I mean. It does not matter at all that it's just a damn avatar insulting me - there's still a person hiding behind it who indicate that I'm some kind of useless outcast - I do not like that, nor do I forgive such things!

I agree. Getting insulted sucks..and it sucks having to engage in a flamewar to defend you beliefs etc. =/

Dslyecxi - Simple enough. Now, let me summarize my entire point as you have yours. If having an everpresent flashlight ruins the scare factor of the game, then the game is poorly done. The game should not have to rely on "shock value" to be scary.

Realism comes in at the point when you say "we are going to sacrifice realism to make sure nobody notices our shoddy game design". That's pathetic and pitiable.

Saying that id has made this choice for the reason of "improving gameplay" is exactly like saying nVidia chose to implement FX12 and FX16 precisions to improve speed. While it may be true, that is not the core reason - the core reason is because their cards cannot perform at full speed using full precision (FP24). For the most part, the same is true here. The primary difference is that we're looking at an accepted standard (FP24) versus an expectation (my expectations of the game's strides towards realism), an expectation which is based upon id's penchant for ground-breaking moves in game design and also based upon the realistic thrust of other features in the game.

Now, if you're okay with their decision, then there's nothing I can do to change your opinion of it. Your mind's as made up as mine is. I still reserve the right to think less of you for it, and I would expect none other from you. The important thing is that we both realize that this is just one issue and we can't let personal feelings about each other spill over from this into other issues - no matter how personal the argument becomes. And, when the day is over, the fact of the matter is that id isn't going to change it no matter how much anyone bitches about it, so arguing about it is merely for the sake of entertainment - why not be amused about it?

Shaviro - Lick my toes, bandana man. You of all people should know better than to take me seriously.

dsm - Hoo boy. When did I ever (meaningfully) state that there was no such thing as rape? I've said such numerous times, but only in trolls or facetiously. Someone has perception issues.

These forums haven't changed a bit, and that's part of the reason I'm still here - I'm trying to effect a change, by weeding out all those who spread misinformation and who are simply ignorant. If I have to do it by force, so be it. Most of the current members hate me because what I do is a thankless job - I don't expect anyone to like me.

People who behaved like me? What, hostile towards ignorance and blind stupidity? Everyone I've seen banned recently were prime examples of the kind of behavior I'm fighting against. Perhaps you should examine your precious forums more closely.

I SEE your point. I'm merely explaining to you why it's flawed. Any further discussion beyond that is irrelevant.

Just as a note - I never liked you, dsm. Back when I was a mod, I didn't ever try to ban you because I felt that even though we disagreed on many points, you were a competent supermod. Look where you are now.

Everyone else watching this spectacle - Most of you who know me are well aware I will harbor no ill will towards anyone casting aspersions at me now (except perhaps dsm) outside of this thread, because you know me better than that. Most of you who don't probably think I'm a hotheaded asshole who has no respect for anyone but himself and could care less about anyone else's opinion. And, in some ways, you're correct. I can be pretty hotheaded at times and while it probably seems like I disregard everyone else's opinion all the time, in reality, I take all opinions I see on this board into mind; though I admit I treat some opinions with more respect than others. "And then you say they're wrong!" you might cry. "How can someone's opinion be wrong?" Quite easily. Someone's opinion can be wrong when it's based on flawed logic or misinformation, as is often the case here. I am simply trying to educate and inform.

As far as being an asshole goes, I suppose it depends on your definition of what an "asshole" is. I'm pretty rude, and I'm pretty coarse, but I don't do what I do out of simple malice - contrary to popular belief. I do it because I respect Doomworld and it's history, and I hate to see it marred by legions of unwashed ignorant fools who can't understand or accept when they are shown the error of their ways. Some may find that statement hypocritical, but they'll find, if they poke around a bit, that when I have made a mistake, I quite readily admit it. I simply don't often get into arguments that I'm not certain I can win. Some might say I win some arguments by semantics, some might say I win them "on technicalities", but the fact of the matter is that when the dust has settled, my point still stands. And that's all I can really hope for.

Just as a note - I never liked you, dsm. Back when I was a mod, I didn't ever try to ban you because I felt that even though we disagreed on many points, you were a competent supermod. Look where you are now.

dsm was a Super Mod!? Where was I during that? AFAIK, dsm has only been mod of Doom 3 and Fan Fics.

Ah. Excuse. My error. In any case, at one point I did think he was a competent moderator.

Tell you what - I'll learn to animate and when the game comes out I'll make a cross-carry mod. We'll see how much easier it makes the game, and how much "fear factor" it removes.

Skipping a hella lot of posts I just have to say this:

Have any of you ever played Aliens vs Predator 2? The demo even? Did you play as the Marine?

That is one freaky ass game, your alone, in the dark with a light attached to your gun. It can only be used for a certain duration before it has to recharge....when you light starts to go out so does your hope of seeing the alien that about to jump on your face from a dark corner.

Whether I had the light on with my gun in hand or not it was still a freaky thought knowing that my light is going to run dry and I'm going to be alone in the dark with nothing but a gun.

That system used for the light was a good one for that game. Not saying it applies to Doom 3 but it was a thought I had that might have worked well too in this game.

MatrixmaN said:

in the dark with a light attached to your gun

Uh, it's shoulder-mounted. And try out the sense of suspense you get running it on a 266 megahertz processor, knowing you can't possibly kill more than one monster at a time without cheating for equipment in between. :D

EDIT: Monitor's also too dark to see stuff, and the aliens are black, so...

Funeral Fog said:

Heh its doomedout

Shit...is that sarcasm? Something wrong with what I asked...

/me hides..

Somebody oughta close this thread - I've done enough damage for a few days. Heh.

Apologies (sincerely) to anyone whose feelings were really hurt by all this.

Just curious auxois, how many times exactly have you played Doom 3 to form this opinion?

Pat said:

Just curious auxois, how many times exactly have you played Doom 3 to form this opinion?

Including the alpha?

Pat said:

oh man! Post of the month :P
owned by id.

I say, play the game when it comes out as it is. As in, as ID intends it to be. Have a little faith in them making a game that you will have fun with, yes? Worry about the game's aspects when you're actually having to use them. Seriously. People who worry about having fun with a game before they have the chance to have fun with a game are wasting their breath and should just wait patiently, then bitch when they can form an actual opinion on something that isn't based on screenshots or interviews.

I don't see how anyone who's played the alpha could honestly want to have an ever-present flashlight in the game. Most of the coolest moments I've had in that were related to being unsure of where exactly an enemy was, or only getting fleeting glances of it, due to the generally dark and flickery lighting situations.

Hearing skittering behind you, whipping your pistol around and letting off a shot that illuminates an imp leaping towards you in an otherwise pitch-black area is something you have to see to believe.. I would hate to have situations like that not be allowed to happen because every player was running around with their flashlights blazing the whole game.

I have faith that id's doing the right thing. I'm sure the full game will prove how well-placed said faith is.

Pat said:

OH DAMN GINA

P'ZOWNED BY ID

I think he just wanted to tease us that he gets to play the game every day :P

(I'm not being serious, of course)

Owned nothing. If you read back you'll note I never said "Doom 3 relies on shock value to be scary". I merely implied that if id (you?) needs to rely on that, then my expectations of the game are sorely lowered. I do have faith in id, contrary to popular belief. C'mon, I own every game they've released (full versions, even) since Wolfenstein 3D. It just disturbs me that they'd make a gameplay decision like that.

And I never said anything about an "ever-present flashlight".

But whatever. I'm through arguing here. I'll play the game when it comes out, and I'll probably enjoy it. But I'm willing to wager I'll still rather have two hands.

Be a man and run through the dark sections waving nothing but your bare fists in the air.

"I'll bite yeh legs off!"

Arioch said:

CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA CHOO CHOO

HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN!! WHOO WHOO