Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraviolet

What is the Doom pistol?

I can't tell just looking at it... What type of handgun do you think the Doom pistol is? Link to images that show similar looking handguns and point out why you think that may be what it is, please.

Scuba Steve said:

Actually... If I recall. The DooM pistol IS actually based off of a beretta model. THe look is very similar.

The slide and where the barrel shows on top do remind me of the 92FS a bit...

I wouldn't know, but it is a rather pitiful pistol, so I'd just call it a glock (if it looked like it) based on my counterstrike addiction. The CS run ended with my Steam install, which erased my Half-Life and Counterstrike installs WITHOUT copying them over, but it was probably for the best.

I would have to guess it's a Beretta as well, or at least based on one. I'm pretty sure the Doom64 one is supposed to be a Desert Eagle.
And except for maybe looks, counter-strike is not very accurate as far the guns are concerned.

It is most likely a beretta. When I hold my airsoft one like the doomguy, the resemblence is uncanny.

Oh crap! That reminds me... I still gotta got those pictures for Chilvence of my shotgun! *wrings hands nervously* I hope he doesn't send Tony to break my knees...

DaJuice said:

I'm pretty sure the Doom64 one is supposed to be a Desert Eagle.

rofl. Desert Eagles are much larger than that.

And berettas aren't nearly that large. I've fired one numerous times - they're quite slender, relatively speaking.

Hey that was gonna be my next question! :P

Anyway, I made a model of the m92fs. It didnt really look like the doom pistol at the end of the day, but some people liked it. I had to make it really fat before it started to show a resemblance.

Either way, it's clip-fed. By no means could I see it being a revolver. It's probably, indeed, some sort of standard issue glock.

TSTuke said:

A chunky beretta or magnum handgun (no wait isn't that a revolver type?)

I don't think all magnums are necessarily revolvers.

How about this answer?

It's a pistol from the future with a resemblance to one (or possibly more?) modern pistol(s).

Heh.

Well, I dont rule out that they could have made it, but I think its more likely they just took shots of a toy gun like they did with the shotgun.

chilvence said:

Well, I dont rule out that they could have made it, but I think its more likely they just took shots of a toy gun like they did with the shotgun.

Most likely.

"Magnum" is just a designation given to calibers which possess cartridges with longer and stronger loads than "normal" cartridges of that caliber. Thus, a .357 Sig is not as powerful as a .357 Magnum, largely due to reduced powder load.

For the record, .357 Sig came long, long after .357 Magnum. It was simply the first thing that came to mind.

One might speak of a weapon which fires magnum loads as "a magnum", though this is technically incorrect - in this sense, a Desert Eagle is generally "a magnum" such that it generally fires .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum, largely due to the fact that it takes such large powder charges to work the gas-operated action of the weapon. Most .50 AE, which actually possesses a smaller powder charge than .44 Magnum, often fails to cycle the weapon properly.

BBG said:

It looks nothing like a Beretta, in fact, it doesn't really look like anything, other than a fat revolver.

of all the weapons i have always thought the pistol looked a bit weak.
i dont think it resembles anything that esists. it may have been based on something but it was changed too much

Dezo said:

To me, it looks like the doom3 gun, i mean look at it. and compare it.

You're right that they definitely look alike, but the Doom 3 pistol is just a squillion times more detailed, with additional details that the old Doom pistol never had.
It's pretty likely, as said above, that the old pistol was based on some toy gun and then the Doom 3 pistol is based on the old Doom pistol, but with a bit of additional imagination crammed into it to make it look all future-like n' stuff.

dsm said:

You're right that they definitely look alike, but the Doom 3 pistol is just a squillion times more detailed, with additional details that the old Doom pistol never had.
It's pretty likely, as said above, that the old pistol was based on some toy gun and then the Doom 3 pistol is based on the old Doom pistol, but with a bit of additional imagination crammed into it to make it look all future-like n' stuff.

Indeed! This is why we chose to make the Pistol pickup sprite look like the D3 pirate blaster in RTC-3057.

pritch said:

If anyone makes a 'What is the Doom chaingun' thread I'm coming for them in the night.

*skips a few steps*

EDIT: I actually didn't take notice of that "What is the Doom shotgun?" thread when I made this one. That makes this situation about 3x as comical for me because it was entirely unintentional.

BBG said:

rofl. Desert Eagles are much larger than that.

Yeah, I know, I've held one. I still maintain it's a desert eagle.