Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

PENNEY ARCADE MAKES THE FUNNEY!

Yeah. I was gonna post this up earlier, but I decided against it for some reason. Actually, I've got to agree with them on the revenant. It's kinda lame. Then again, it was always a silly enemy. Oh well.

While I disagree with their assessment of (most of) the doom3 monsters (I happen to like the trites, dammit), I do agree that it has come high time to put up some goods for the general public.

Static screenshots are no longer satisfactory enough. The more screenshots they release of a severely limited set of settings and characters the more we will think that's all that Doom 3 will offer even if intellectually we know different (from Qcon reports, gaming mag articles, etc). This is exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the screenshots may now be of outdated models of inferior quality, and they're still all we really have to go by.

Now, especially given the fact that they're saying Doom 3 won't wrap until early 2004 now, we need some snippets of real gameplay videos, even if they're just in test level environments like the physics test scene with the crates. And not in crappy overcompressed low res Quicktime format with a big-ass circle-G watermark in the lower right, either.

Shaviro said:

The only funny thing about that comic is the cat doing a salute.

Which has been done many times before. That comic lacks creativity...

/Me searches for the fun in the comic
/Me fails to find anything funny

Apparently, some people don't know interesting design when they see it.

dsm said:

/Me searches for the fun in the comic
/Me fails to find anything funny

Apparently, some people don't know interesting design when they see it.

f-f-f-fanboy

penny arcade sucks. the only thing that would make those comics even remotely funny is if the author was suddenly shot in the face.

man, they really have improved the game since then. Thanks steve, great shot!

Zell said:

in??
penny arcade
or
steves great screenshot of doom3 in action?

What's the point of this thread? :P

Heh. Shoulda made that plural, Ling.

In any case, I generally find PA fucking hilarious. This is no exception, and I have to agree with Gabe about the enemy design, for the most part. Woohoo. I'm reserving final judgement 'til I play the game, though.

Gabe looks like the kind of webmaster that likes to post controversial statements on his site for the sole purpose of gaining traffic. Measuring the level of creativeness between game companies seems like bullshit to me. Is the HalfLife2 "War of the Worlds" strider more creative then the Doom3 "The Thing" spider? Is the Duke3D pigcop more creative then the Quake2 gladiator? Who cares??? It's all based on biased opinions.

ravage said:

Weres the funney,?

Found it! :D

I was kinda surprised at PA for putting up a comic like that, but then again, not EVERYONE happens to like doom for its doomish qualitys. I've read their comic for a while though (in fact, I remember almost falling off my chair laughing that that very comic when it was first posted. ^^), so I know it's all just in good fun. :)

Python_Junkie said:

Fuck you too :P

Uh, wtf? He was talking about those crappy gamespot videos that were released. They really sucked.

DemonDemon said:

Found it! :D

Yeah, that's the best 750x365 pixel image ever.

In particular due to the modding possibilities.

Arno said:

Gabe looks like the kind of webmaster that likes to post controversial statements on his site for the sole purpose of gaining traffic.

Gabe == artist
Tycho == webmaster/front page guy

What's with the two-man webcomic teams?

And as it stands, the mere fact that they're offering these sneak previews only to commercial gaming industry insiders makes the situation infinitely worse.

Just think. Some small select group of people who had a few hundred bucks and absolutely nothing they had to do for a few days in August have seen at least 8 minutes more of gameplay than we have (Qcon MP demo), and industry insiders have seen at least half an hour more of gameplay footage that WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SEE YET FOR AT LEAST HALF A YEAR. And we're not even talking game developers, because those people who're licensing the new Doom engine are definitely seeing infinitely more Doom 3 assets than we are, we're also talking about the well-oiled publicity-for-money machine that the computer game magazine companies collectively represent, whether they present their articles in offline or online format.

Is it any wonder that some people have started to take a jaundiced view of the various words of praise (well-deserved or not) that these publicists are lavishing upon id's current labors?

Arioch said:

And as it stands, the mere fact that they're offering these sneak previews only to commercial gaming industry insiders makes the situation infinitely worse.

Just think. Some small select group of people who had a few hundred bucks and absolutely nothing they had to do for a few days in August have seen at least 8 minutes more of gameplay than we have (Qcon MP demo), and industry insiders have seen at least half an hour more of gameplay footage that WE ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SEE YET FOR AT LEAST HALF A YEAR. And we're not even talking game developers, because those people who're licensing the new Doom engine are definitely seeing infinitely more Doom 3 assets than we are, we're also talking about the well-oiled publicity-for-money machine that the computer game magazine companies collectively represent, whether they present their articles in offline or online format.

Is it any wonder that some people have started to take a jaundiced view of the various words of praise (well-deserved or not) that these publicists are lavishing upon id's current labors?

laytards terms: Other asshats have better toys than us. Fuck them and anything they say.

DC

Arioch said:

Now, especially given the fact that they're saying Doom 3 won't wrap until early 2004 now, we need some snippets of real gameplay videos, even if they're just in test level environments like the physics test scene with the crates. And not in crappy overcompressed low res Quicktime format with a big-ass circle-G watermark in the lower right, either.

/me points at Epic Games as they keep on posting UT2004 footage. Heh, they even went on a tour across the US and people (including me) got to play ut2004 for FREE.