Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Reisal

Kazaa sues RIAA

withdrawing one of many recent subpoenas after mistakenly identifying a 65 year old woman as an illegal sharer of rap MP3's

Kazaa vs. RIAA. For some reason, it reminds me of Doom2 MAP20.

ok im gonna throw my 2 cents on this if no one minds :)

ok first of all, half the time you download songs, they are half complete or fake. No need to sue for that. Also, when you download music, you are downloading crappy versions of the song. (ie the queailty isnt very good). Another thing - I like to download A SONG I HERD OFF THE RADIO. If I coudn't download the music, coundt i just record it with something? I mean come the fuck on! We here it on the radio - why can;t we download it? another thing - why the hell are they charging 150,000$ PER SONG??? that makes no fucking sense! They make millions of dollars, they dont need more money. like a $1000 worth of singles off CDs really add anything to there budget.

My two cents.

There is like maybe a 2% difference in audible quality between 128Kbps MP3s and 1.5Mbps PCM CD audio. I think it's silly to call MP3 or Ogg or whatever compression "low quality."

The Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) called Sharman's "newfound admiration for the importance of copyright law" ironic and "self-serving."

<Pot> Kettle, you are very black.

Zell said:

ok first of all, half the time you download songs, they are half complete or fake.

In that case, I must be downloading the other half of the time, because there's only been one time in my life that I've ever gotten a song that wasn't what I was looking for where I knew for the certain (I was looking for NIN's "Deep", instead I got this damn "Everybody wants to fuck" song or something like that). Every other time, it's been the exact thing I was looking for. Either I'm just extremely lucky, or you don't know how to utilize the utility correctly.

Zell said:

Also, when you download music, you are downloading crappy versions of the song. (ie the queailty isnt very good).

Not necessarily...I've seen quite a few 256 KBPS on Kazaa, and even the occassioinal 320. Even when I don't, the 128 ones sound perfectly clear. Then again, I don't exactly have an ear for that detail. To me, the difference between a 128 KBPS MP3 and a 256 one is almost the same as the difference between soda kept in a paper cup as oppposed to it being stored in a can: one's lighter and not as durable, the other is heavier, but they're both at heart the same thing (the soda).

EDIT: Looks like AndrewB made my second point more concise already.

I can tell the difference between 128s and 192s quite easily. It depends a lot on the song but with some it's really noticeable.

pritch said:

I can tell the difference between 128s and 192s quite easily. It depends a lot on the song but with some it's really noticeable.

You need to find better things to do, my friend...unless you plan on making a living off being an auidophile ;)

Python_Junkie said:

You need to find better things to do, my friend...unless you plan on making a living off being an auidophile ;)

Dude, anyone can tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps MP3. Go after those who claim they hear the difference between 192kbps and CD instead...

If you cant hear the difference between 128 and 192kbps mp3s, you have to be fricking deaf.

I'm no audiophile and I can plainly hear the artifacts in most 128kbps mp3s.

fraggle said:

If you cant hear the difference between 128 and 192kbps mp3s, you have to be fricking deaf.

It's assumptions like that which make me want to shoot somebody...

Contrary to what you may think, not everbody has the same ear for everything. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely tell the difference between a 64 and 128 KBPS (sad to say I have a second-rate MP3 of an interview with one of my favorite music artists), and maybe between a 256 and 360 one (I made the mistake of ripping a CD at 360 once), but honestly, a difference between 96 to 128 and 128 to 192, I don't have an ear for. I guess I'm deaf in that case...

Now please, mod/admin or not, get your damn mind out of the gutter and don't make a universal truth based on how things turn out for you (BTW, I AM partly deaf in my left ear...)

Crendowing said:

Don't get me wrong, I can definitely tell the difference between a 64 and 128 KBPS (sad to say I have a second-rate MP3 of an interview with one of my favorite music artists), and maybe between a 256 and 360 one (I made the mistake of ripping a CD at 360 once), but honestly, a difference between 96 to 128 and 128 to 192, I don't have an ear for.

LOL

I've never had a fake song download. Maybe that's because I download a lot of music that doesn't have anything to do with the RIAA or isn't popular enough. And maybe it's because KaZaA Lite blocks the RIAA.

I can usually hear the difference between 128k and 192k. It does depend on the music though.