Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
#1DOOMGUY

first time you played doom

i remember being about 4/5 and every time i went round my grandads house he would load up doom(at least i think it was doom) on his old pc. he thought i loved it! the thing is i can only remember playing the start area of E1M1 mainly because thats as far as i ever got! i never worked out how to open doors or shoot the gun in front of me i just remember looking out over the land out side!! i was only 4/5.i geuss dooms in my family!! and an important part of my childhood.

what the first time you remember doom??

Is these topics your way of adding to your postcount? I cant believe you people actually care. But anyway;

My first time was when I was, I think, 9 or 10 years old. My father came home with his laptop and started Doom E1M1 and showed me how to walk around. Then I tried myself and me too the first time I didnt got much further than the begin area. Other than a few fragments where I can remember myself playing, I cant really remember how I grew up with it. A few years ago I can remember to have discovered these new engines and I picked everythign back up. As you probably can see I kinda worked my way deep into tool development for this game, as a hobby.

ahhhh..good times good times

anyway, i was 6 and my freind was 5. His dad had bought him a game - The Ultimate Doom. He gave me the poster(still got it up on my wall ^_^ ) anyway, one time i went over to my friends house. He said "You want this? I can't play it." So he gave me his CD. I ran over to my house and installed it. I loaded it up, and had the shit scared out of me on e1m2, in the light area. Doom can be scary if your little. :D

One hell of a year there. *Mostly* this year was the last year for SUPER EXECELLENT UBER GREAT AND FUN games. Nowadays, games are graphically inclined and gamplay declined. Thats what i loved about Ultimate Doom - its old, but it was uber fun and stil is.

I was almost 10, it had been out for about a year, the psychologist I went to see had the shareware version of it on her computer for us "to take out our frustrations in a harmless manner". I'm guessing it worked, because here I am today ;)

From when I was 4 - 6 I was playing Wolfenstein. My dad loved it so much he got us the Dooms. But when I was 8, that's when 'it' happened. As milk goes bad, something had to go rotten. My computer contracted a virus...and...and.......(sob)
:( I couldn't reinstall it cause my friend Rory stole the games and the boxes and the damned manuals too...
>:( I vowed vengance.

Last year though I stumbled upon Doomworld and some members told me where I could buy Doom and Doom2 I had a friend who gave me Final Doom and we all lived happily ever after, bau!

Well, in "1993" I just happen to be surfing the net on my 14.4 modem...heh! When I happen to notice in some forums on BBS's that a new game was being distributed called "Doom"...I was a big fan of Wolfenstein 3-D and seeing how it was the same company I decided to give it a try and I've been hooked ever since that time.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I was around five and some much older, teenage so-called friend I had took me down into his basement and loaded up Doom. The massive gore and death screams of the enemies were a means of scaring me when he made me watch him play it. I never really played it at his house before, so I guess that'd count as my first Doom experience.

The first time I actually played Doom was perhaps on my SNES, two years later. I first played it on I'm too young to die! and went through all of Episode 1. I went into the last teleport of E1M8, ended up in a room with a bunch of baddies, and died. Then it'd go to the Intro Screen. For many years I thought I had kept dying... Then I played it on a harder difficulty :/

I hated how SNES Doom didn't have cheats, so I'd play the shareware PC version at my neighbours, then I got my own computer, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, etc.

I first played it on a shareware game CD (my friend's), about one week after the last day of 7th grade.

I "discovered" the shareware version sometime in late 1995. True, I was really late, but that did not diminish the joy of fighting through the first episode. Man, it was too much fun setting the game on Ultra-Violence with the -respawn tag, putting on God mode and no clipping, going to E1M8, luring the Barons into that little tunnel and have them and the Demons duke it out. Many good times.

Sadly, I didn't have the cash to buy the Ultimate Doom until around three years later. I still haven't purchased Doom 2. Fuck, I saw the jewel CD in the value-priced section at a nearby computer store; I'll get it tomorrow (online buying is a grey zone to me). Funny thing is, I first saw Doom 2 at this computer store when it came out. I never thought I would end up buying it from the same place eight years later.

So I'm quite excited at getting Doom 2 so I can try out the source ports and Eternal Doom.

Hmm. Had been hanging around a BBS called Zero Hour, whereupon the owner downloaded many things from USEnet. I had seen the Doom demo but as my system at the time was the absolute baseline for the game I didn't bother downloading it, and then very shortly later I played it on a Tandy Sensation! at Radio Shack. I raced home, downloaded the shareware, and then what exactly happened is kinda fuzzy but as far as I can remember I showed my dad, he thought it was cool, so he ordered it for me. It was either that or I got it for Christmas. I can't really remember. I only have two of my v1.1 diskettes, though. *snif*

The first time I played Doom, was a day of 1993, and I was around the age of 4. I had been watching my father loading something up on his computer (a 486, I believe), which was Doom. I watched him play it for a few minutes, then he let me take a whirl. The game scared me like shit, but I kept playing. About a week later, my dad isntalled it on my (yes, I had my own computer at that age.. a 486, I believe) computer. From there on I would play it like crap, until beating the first episode.

Around christmas next year, I got Doom2. That was my first time seeing all the other monsters, which scared me more than anything else that had ever scared me in a video game before (arg.. still a scaredy little child). Suffice to say, that made me want to play it more.

Arg.. A few months later, my dad bought Ultimate Doom for me, which I was happy to see sitting on the desk in my room as I woke up one morning. It sucked to have gotten Doom2 before Doom, but it was great to have the oh so wanted first Doom. I would end up playing that more than the second.

Geez. I was such a little toe-head when I first started playing Doom. Just seeing a demon would scare me. Heh.

I played Doom for quite a long time, and stopped playing at the age of.. uh.. I think.. 9. About 3 years later I found ZDoom, and decided to pop my Doom 2 CD back in and give that a whirl. That changed everything.

The future ain't what it used to be...
"While I was writing the above I forgot what I wanted to comment about. Nevermind, I'll come back later. Keep up the... bad work!?"
This is one of my fav things to say when I surf with 2+ windows open... T_T
Anyway, now I remember... I don't know but I was pretty young. It was awesome, I watched my mom play and it was amazing... Then I got it on my own comp... As a kid every level left memories and impressions. Playing them now brings them back and every level is like a legendary part of my life... Especially DoomI, that left a lot more than DoomII... I played DoomII when I grew up a bit more, that left memories of when I used to kill time during school holidays rather than the mindless early childhood days that DoomI did...

I played doom the first time in 1995.

I had played Wolfenstein a lot, so I learned the game quickly and actually finished Knee-Deep in the Dead in a couple of days. I was scared of E1M7 because i thought that the monsters just keep coming, and I would never complete it. But I did, and got rid of the barons in a couple of tries. Also, in E1M6, when you get the rocket launcher near the yellow key, I accidentaly got it the first time I played the level and I never found the secret again in 4 years.

I first watched my brother play it around it's release, some years back on his state-of-the-art Pentium-something computer. Doom is postcount++ great.

When I was maybe 12 years old, a friend of mine gave me two floppies with the word "DOOM" printed on the labels. We went to my house, installed the game on my 386, and started playing. From the moment I entered the room to the left and got shot at by sergeants, I was hooked.

I didn't register the original Doom, but I somehow convinced my dad to buy me Doom 2. I eventually picked up the first D!Zone CD which had a metric assload of WADs (for Doom 1). The sad thing is that I never realized they were for Doom 1 because D!Zone provided this little menu system from which you selected your wad. If the wad was for Doom 1, it would automagically convert it. I never noticed the lack of super shotgun or mancubi for some reason. Dur, me.

I picked up Ultimate Doom a few years later for $20. Good times, good times.

When i was 5 my dad bought or downloaded it, cant remember, and i remember i couldnt get passed the first map without god mode.

When I was 3 my Grandma and Grandpa would each load up something on their PC's, 486DX2's I think, and I would see this wierd green thing with a rifle shoot my Grandma to death. I was scared shitless, until my Grandpa gave it to me at age 4, and from then on I was as I am today. I beat the first episode fairly easily, then when I played Episode 2...

The first time I played Doom was on Sega's ill-fated 32x add-on system, it was a short game (only 17 levels), but it got me so hooked that I immediatly went to hunt down the PC verion of Doom.

Back in the old days we used to fire up the original shareware to see if a pc could run autocad. If it could run doom, it could run autocad. 386's needed to have the math coprocessor.

Put doom down for a long time, just recently got back into it. Found it on and old pc at work when clearing it up. Then found the new engines. woo hoo :>).

My brother brought the shareware in floppies, that he had bought in a supermarket, or something like that, for $3. This was probably 1994 (or maybe 1995.)

I was already a grown-up back then, so the game never turned my vulnerable mind to jelly... Thus I can now play the game correctly (and can even post coherently on these forums.)

Hmm, this reminds me; I have to go now. Among other things, to buy new headphones. Or else I won't be able to fire up doom.exe appropiately to violently own some Imps, Zombiemen, Cacodemons and whatnot.

I was 12, some friend had shareware,
it was said on a magazine to be
like wolfenstein 3D but better.
Because I liked a lot wolf3D, I tried Doom,
and yes ,oubviously,it was better.
I remember the first room, wow .It was good time.
Because today the games are sucking more and more
,in 2002 I re-discovered DOOM and addons whith DOOMWORLD.

When I was about three years old I would watch my dad play Wolfenstein 3D on his 386 machine. One day he let me play, and I remember getting shot by a bunch of soldiers and seeing my mugshot turn into a "raw hamburger".

About a year later, he started playing Doom and I can remember pointing at the screen going "There! There's a secret door!" and he would get angry at me because there really wasnt anything there :)

When I got my first computer (a 286 p.o.s.) I had my dad install Doom on my [incredibly large] 20MB harddrive. I've played it since then.

I started playing Doom when I was way too young by probably any psychologist's standards. :)