Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

Oh this is such a wonderful story . . .

My dad's friends with a guy he knows at work who is, pretty much, a PC gaming guru. He knows what's hot and what's not --- and when it first came out, he knew DOOM was hot. So while on lunchbreak with my dad he told my dad about it. My dad, who build computers as a hobby, caught onto the idea and got the shareware version from his friend in no time at all.

Mind you, I was in third grade at the time; I'm a college Freshman now.

I've always watched my dad play computer games, even those cards games like Cribbage and Solitate. Good times, watching my daddy kick ass. >:-D

Anyway . . . So yeah, the first memory I have concerning DOOM is watching my dad play through the game, quivering behind his chair in fear at all the horrible-looking monsters dying on the screen. But it was fun to watch my dad save the day. The fun continued with DOOM II and Thy Flesh Consumed. And now neither of us can wait until DOOM III comes out.

Ahhh... I remember my first time playing Doom. I was like 4 or 5 and my uncle had all the Apogee/Id Games like Doom, Doom II, Blake Stone, Duke Nukem I,II,III. I played all of these at his house, and it's probably why I got into computers. I always liked the game since the first time I played it, and still play it regulary. I hope that in Doom III they have a level that's just an upgraded version of E1M1, the first level me and millions of other people saw, so we could experience it all over again.

i first played in '94.. i got home from visiting grandparents and my brother had it installed (shareware, v1.2). he was in the middle of toxin refinery and had god mode on and let me take over. i fell into the right bit of nukage and he didn't know the clipping code so i was stuck.

"I hope that in Doom III they have a level that's just an upgraded version of E1M1, the first level me and millions of other people saw, so we could experience it all over again." -- insertwackynamehere

Dude, that'd be cool!

Whoa now that's quite a ways back. I would have only been 5 when we first got our computer! We bought a bunch of games to keep us into it. CD's, disks, the works. Probably it was about 2 months after I got my computer in 93. This was after my birthday so I would have been 5 not 4! We decided to get a new game and I looked around and I found DOOM. The first thing that sparked my interest was how they wrote the letters in the name! (I was young and was amused easily) We brought it home and that day was when I first learned to properly install computer games. I opened it up and BAM! I was hooked! I beat the shareware version in one day and wanted MORE! Too bad I didn't get anymore until one of my Dad's friends whose name was Bruce decided to let me borrow his copy of DOOM 2! That REALLY got me hooked. I couldn't stop! But in these more recent years (2000-2003) I've gotten in to the finer points of DOOM like map making! With map making I'm free to make DOOM however I want, and that makes me happy. Doom's the best game I played when I was young. Always good times are what I remember. YUP!

Heh, well my friend Scott (Posting above) showed me it. I don't like the old doom but prefer other...um...easy maps...I'm not the great at Doom but of well, it fun blowing cyberdemons to kindom-come and sniping lost souls. I was briefly interested in mapping but soon gave it up realizing all of my maps looked the same...I'm not one for design, but in Scott's newest map, i like the sling doors...

Oh, quick qestions, if you made a room in doom, could you make it slide like the doors do?

charris said:

Oh, quick qestions, if you made a room in doom, could you make it slide like the doors do?

Not in the original doom... zdoom or some other port there support it.

I forget the actual date I first played it, but I remember getting the DOOM shareware version as a freebie in the copy of the complete version of Wolfenstein 3D my mom bought me. The first time I'd seen DOOM was even earlier, when my friend and I stopped in a local tiny computer shop and saw two guys playing it on one of the computers (I even remember the exact map - E2M1); we thought it was a sequel to Wolfenstein at first. ;)

When DOOM II came out I begged my mom to get it, and I spent most of my time in middle school obsessed with it. Then I just kinda dropped it as newer games came out, and picked it back up again just in the past few months. I think I'm back to being as obsessed with it as I was back in middle school, which just shows how enveloping the game can still be. :)

Well my cousin was a computer programmer and once i was over his house, and i watched him whimp some zombie ace in DOOM II, and i asked if i could play. I did and after a few levels of pure mayhem, i bought DOOM and DOOM II, and have bought every doom that has come out for every system thus far. I have over the years become an obsessed doomer. Good stuff folks

i remember being about 4/5 and every time i went round my grandads house he would load up doom(at least i think it was doom) on his old pc. he thought i loved it! the thing is i can only remember playing the start area of E1M1 mainly because thats as far as i ever got! i never worked out how to open doors or shoot the gun in front of me i just remember looking out over the land out side!! i was only 4/5.i geuss dooms in my family!! and an important part of my childhood.

what the first time you remember doom??

Is these topics your way of adding to your postcount? I cant believe you people actually care. But anyway;

My first time was when I was, I think, 9 or 10 years old. My father came home with his laptop and started Doom E1M1 and showed me how to walk around. Then I tried myself and me too the first time I didnt got much further than the begin area. Other than a few fragments where I can remember myself playing, I cant really remember how I grew up with it. A few years ago I can remember to have discovered these new engines and I picked everythign back up. As you probably can see I kinda worked my way deep into tool development for this game, as a hobby.

ahhhh..good times good times

anyway, i was 6 and my freind was 5. His dad had bought him a game - The Ultimate Doom. He gave me the poster(still got it up on my wall ^_^ ) anyway, one time i went over to my friends house. He said "You want this? I can't play it." So he gave me his CD. I ran over to my house and installed it. I loaded it up, and had the shit scared out of me on e1m2, in the light area. Doom can be scary if your little. :D

One hell of a year there. *Mostly* this year was the last year for SUPER EXECELLENT UBER GREAT AND FUN games. Nowadays, games are graphically inclined and gamplay declined. Thats what i loved about Ultimate Doom - its old, but it was uber fun and stil is.

I was almost 10, it had been out for about a year, the psychologist I went to see had the shareware version of it on her computer for us "to take out our frustrations in a harmless manner". I'm guessing it worked, because here I am today ;)

From when I was 4 - 6 I was playing Wolfenstein. My dad loved it so much he got us the Dooms. But when I was 8, that's when 'it' happened. As milk goes bad, something had to go rotten. My computer contracted a virus...and...and.......(sob)
:( I couldn't reinstall it cause my friend Rory stole the games and the boxes and the damned manuals too...
>:( I vowed vengance.

Last year though I stumbled upon Doomworld and some members told me where I could buy Doom and Doom2 I had a friend who gave me Final Doom and we all lived happily ever after, bau!

Well, in "1993" I just happen to be surfing the net on my 14.4 modem...heh! When I happen to notice in some forums on BBS's that a new game was being distributed called "Doom"...I was a big fan of Wolfenstein 3-D and seeing how it was the same company I decided to give it a try and I've been hooked ever since that time.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

I was around five and some much older, teenage so-called friend I had took me down into his basement and loaded up Doom. The massive gore and death screams of the enemies were a means of scaring me when he made me watch him play it. I never really played it at his house before, so I guess that'd count as my first Doom experience.

The first time I actually played Doom was perhaps on my SNES, two years later. I first played it on I'm too young to die! and went through all of Episode 1. I went into the last teleport of E1M8, ended up in a room with a bunch of baddies, and died. Then it'd go to the Intro Screen. For many years I thought I had kept dying... Then I played it on a harder difficulty :/

I hated how SNES Doom didn't have cheats, so I'd play the shareware PC version at my neighbours, then I got my own computer, Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, etc.

I first played it on a shareware game CD (my friend's), about one week after the last day of 7th grade.

I "discovered" the shareware version sometime in late 1995. True, I was really late, but that did not diminish the joy of fighting through the first episode. Man, it was too much fun setting the game on Ultra-Violence with the -respawn tag, putting on God mode and no clipping, going to E1M8, luring the Barons into that little tunnel and have them and the Demons duke it out. Many good times.

Sadly, I didn't have the cash to buy the Ultimate Doom until around three years later. I still haven't purchased Doom 2. Fuck, I saw the jewel CD in the value-priced section at a nearby computer store; I'll get it tomorrow (online buying is a grey zone to me). Funny thing is, I first saw Doom 2 at this computer store when it came out. I never thought I would end up buying it from the same place eight years later.

So I'm quite excited at getting Doom 2 so I can try out the source ports and Eternal Doom.

Hmm. Had been hanging around a BBS called Zero Hour, whereupon the owner downloaded many things from USEnet. I had seen the Doom demo but as my system at the time was the absolute baseline for the game I didn't bother downloading it, and then very shortly later I played it on a Tandy Sensation! at Radio Shack. I raced home, downloaded the shareware, and then what exactly happened is kinda fuzzy but as far as I can remember I showed my dad, he thought it was cool, so he ordered it for me. It was either that or I got it for Christmas. I can't really remember. I only have two of my v1.1 diskettes, though. *snif*

The first time I played Doom, was a day of 1993, and I was around the age of 4. I had been watching my father loading something up on his computer (a 486, I believe), which was Doom. I watched him play it for a few minutes, then he let me take a whirl. The game scared me like shit, but I kept playing. About a week later, my dad isntalled it on my (yes, I had my own computer at that age.. a 486, I believe) computer. From there on I would play it like crap, until beating the first episode.

Around christmas next year, I got Doom2. That was my first time seeing all the other monsters, which scared me more than anything else that had ever scared me in a video game before (arg.. still a scaredy little child). Suffice to say, that made me want to play it more.

Arg.. A few months later, my dad bought Ultimate Doom for me, which I was happy to see sitting on the desk in my room as I woke up one morning. It sucked to have gotten Doom2 before Doom, but it was great to have the oh so wanted first Doom. I would end up playing that more than the second.

Geez. I was such a little toe-head when I first started playing Doom. Just seeing a demon would scare me. Heh.

I played Doom for quite a long time, and stopped playing at the age of.. uh.. I think.. 9. About 3 years later I found ZDoom, and decided to pop my Doom 2 CD back in and give that a whirl. That changed everything.

The future ain't what it used to be...
"While I was writing the above I forgot what I wanted to comment about. Nevermind, I'll come back later. Keep up the... bad work!?"
This is one of my fav things to say when I surf with 2+ windows open... T_T
Anyway, now I remember... I don't know but I was pretty young. It was awesome, I watched my mom play and it was amazing... Then I got it on my own comp... As a kid every level left memories and impressions. Playing them now brings them back and every level is like a legendary part of my life... Especially DoomI, that left a lot more than DoomII... I played DoomII when I grew up a bit more, that left memories of when I used to kill time during school holidays rather than the mindless early childhood days that DoomI did...

I played doom the first time in 1995.

I had played Wolfenstein a lot, so I learned the game quickly and actually finished Knee-Deep in the Dead in a couple of days. I was scared of E1M7 because i thought that the monsters just keep coming, and I would never complete it. But I did, and got rid of the barons in a couple of tries. Also, in E1M6, when you get the rocket launcher near the yellow key, I accidentaly got it the first time I played the level and I never found the secret again in 4 years.

I first watched my brother play it around it's release, some years back on his state-of-the-art Pentium-something computer. Doom is postcount++ great.