Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Glaice

Anti-Piracy in the classroom?

Recommended Posts

Click me

Music and film industry 'education' initiative

The music and film industry head to the classroom to combat piracy. Among several new initiatives, reports the New York Times (free reg. required), is a program designed to teach fifth through ninth graders the evils of file trading. The new educational push, backed by Junior Achievement, should be witnessed in 36,000 classrooms and by 900,000 students nation-wide.

In one role-playing exercise, students are asked to design their own album; including cover-art and lyrics. After they've completed it, the project leader informs them that they won't get a penny for their work; it's already available for free on-line. The leader then apparently asks them "how they felt when they realized that their work was stolen and that they would not get anything for their efforts."


My thoughts: this is a waste of time and money, as if the teaching of drug use as bad, it just made it worse.

Share this post


Link to post

Heh.. expecially since every OTHER assignment they do is taken and they don't get paid, this should really make them think ;P

Share this post


Link to post

considering how that girl got a dick in the ear from the riaa a few weeks ago

and considering how trading files over p2p networks with programs like kazaa is no longer only associated with a tech-saavy minority

i do think they should be informed that it's a violation of copyright law

and that buying cds makes you cooler than the kids with the burnt cd-rs

and hell, it's not any stupider that what junior high students are already being taught



*i* would've enjoyed making an album in 6th grade, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Liam the Bard said:

considering how that girl got a dick in the ear from the riaa a few weeks ago

and considering how trading files over p2p networks with programs like kazaa is no longer only associated with a tech-saavy minority

i do think they should be informed that it's a violation of copyright law

and that buying cds makes you cooler than the kids with the burnt cd-rs

and hell, it's not any stupider that what junior high students are already being taught



*i* would've enjoyed making an album in 6th grade, anyway.

Ever heard of the shift key, dude?

Share this post


Link to post

Mr. Chris, in case you didn't notice, most Doomers know about Fark.com, so whenever it updates with a new "RIAA is ghey hilarity ensues france surrenders" thing, we don't always need to hear about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Python Junkie said:

Ever heard of the shift key, dude?


yes cren

Share this post


Link to post
Ichor said:

How else could he have made the *s?

numberpad*

Share this post


Link to post
BBG said:

Mr. Chris, in case you didn't notice, most Doomers know about Fark.com, so whenever it updates with a new "RIAA is ghey hilarity ensues france surrenders" thing, we don't always need to hear about it.

Best post of the day.

Or at least he doesn't have to start a new thread each time.

Share this post


Link to post

Um, I don't go to fark.com. Then again, I don't care about RIAA either so whatever.

Share this post


Link to post

heh, i would have stood up in that class and said 'fuck you! at least people are listening to my music! i'll go out and get a job so i can support myself and keep making music with REAL content and REAL creativity and actual musical value so people can keep listening to it. shit, i'll throw free shows and give away burnt copies of my own album motherfucker! why don't you quit selling really shitty music at expensive fucking prices and produce real artists and sell their cds at reasonible costs you greedy capatilist pigs!"

Share this post


Link to post
monochrome said:

heh, i would have stood up in that class and said 'fuck you! at least people are listening to my music! i'll go out and get a job so i can support myself and keep making music with REAL content and REAL creativity and actual musical value so people can keep listening to it. shit, i'll throw free shows and give away burnt copies of my own album motherfucker! why don't you quit selling really shitty music at expensive fucking prices and produce real artists and sell their cds at reasonible costs you greedy capatilist pigs!"


Pfft, then they will sue you for mental duress (you know, because the truth can be really shocking)

Share this post


Link to post
monochrome said:

heh, i would have stood up in that class and said 'fuck you! at least people are listening to my music! i'll go out and get a job so i can support myself and keep making music with REAL content and REAL creativity and actual musical value so people can keep listening to it. shit, i'll throw free shows and give away burnt copies of my own album motherfucker! why don't you quit selling really shitty music at expensive fucking prices and produce real artists and sell their cds at reasonible costs you greedy capatilist pigs!"

And the only reason you don't outright do that is that greedy capitalist pigs don't listen to realistic judgement.

Share this post


Link to post

15 dollars is a reasonable price

and you can usually get them lower if you're a smart shopper

Share this post


Link to post
Liam the Bard said:

15 dollars is a reasonable price

Bullshit.Well, maybe we'd be happier about paying it if it wasn't extortion/profiteering.

Share this post


Link to post
BBG said:

Mr. Chris, in case you didn't notice, most Doomers know about Fark.com, so whenever it updates with a new "RIAA is ghey hilarity ensues france surrenders" thing, we don't always need to hear about it.


For that matter, everytime something happens that we're bound to hear from everyone else we know, we don't need to have it posted here, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Liam the Bard said:

15 dollars is a reasonable price

well, you see, the CD industry has this little group called the RIAA which is basically a form of cartel. this allows the industry to charge prices far above what it costs to produce and thus works out rather well for them, so far. for the most part, cartels don't work because most businesses aren't willing to go for a higher price in an oligopoly (as can be demonstrated by the quality-price game) because that's riskier.

for some reason i haven't looked into, this isn't the case with the CD market, and everyone has gone high, thus allowing for very high levels of producer surplus in the industry. you are therefore economically speaking paying for more than the material cost, which i would consider being ripped off but of course intrinsic value will also play a part in your decision as a consumer, and therefore whether it's worth it is variable to each individual.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a band, and if people were to trade my shitty music online or whatever I wouldn't care because the music is being made for the people. It isn't made so I can sit there and go, "well I just sold another 5 thousand CD's I'm rich now!", that's just plain retarded. People in the music industry who are complaining should really loosen the hell up.

Share this post


Link to post
Melfice said:

For that matter, everytime something happens that we're bound to hear from everyone else we know, we don't need to have it posted here, either.


Approximately 75% of what I hear of the goings-on in the world, I hear from Doomworld's Everything Else forum. Another 20% goes to Yahoo's frontpage when I go to do my weekly email check.

Share this post


Link to post

The concept of buying music on CDs is becoming outdatad. I wouldn't pay $15 if I only liked one song on there. Time for them to make more online services.

Hehehe, this stuff hasn't touched Canada. :p

Share this post


Link to post
BBG said:

Mr. Chris, in case you didn't notice, most Doomers know about Fark.com, so whenever it updates with a new "RIAA is ghey hilarity ensues france surrenders" thing, we don't always need to hear about it.


0_o

Isn't Fark like SA for 30 yr olds who try and act as if they're teenagers and still "cool" when they're not?

Not that old people can't be, I mean, look at Fodders, he succeeds where my parents struggle to turn the computer on, and fail :p

Share this post


Link to post
KingKill33 said:

I have a band, and if people were to trade my shitty music online or whatever I wouldn't care because the music is being made for the people. It isn't made so I can sit there and go, "well I just sold another 5 thousand CD's I'm rich now!", that's just plain retarded. People in the music industry who are complaining should really loosen the hell up.

I'm pretty sure your mind would take a complete 180 when an agent found out about you and wanted to make a record deal...nobody in his right mind would pass it up.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×