Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moonflower

Master Of Plagiarism [music remix thread]

Hi everyone. Around March this year I started a DOOM remixing project called Master Of Plagiarism. This is a dedication to the (old) discovery that parts of a few of the original DOOM/DOOM II songs themselves were ripped from songs from metal bands of the 1993 era. Anyway, a couple of days ago I finished the fifth remix in the project, and the fifth to me sounds both professional and satisfyingly unoriginal so I thought I'd share the five already done with you just to make sure I'm on the right track. There are actually six but one is already listed in the DW remix section. So without further ado:

http://scragadelic.slipgate.org/master_of_plagiarism/

README.TXT lists which are which, and I'd appreciate some feedback on what you guys think of them all :)

One word.

WOW

These are awesome. Especially MYSTIC VOICES, which kicks more ass than is willing to be kicked! (That made no sense, but who cares.)

Dude. Again, owned like a bitch.

Good stuff. Moby? That sounds more like Klubbed to Death to me.

Were you the one who also made the WinXP sounds and DOOM track, whatever it was?

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, just what other songs did the Doom games ripoff? I know of:

Master Of Puppets (Metallica)
Mouth For War (Pantera)
This Love (Pantera)
Them Bones (Alice In Chains)
Angry Chair (Alice In Chains)

Python_Junkie said:

Were you the one who also made the WinXP sounds and DOOM track, whatever it was?

[/b]
Yeah, that was me. :)

EDIT: Oh, and for the record, just what other songs did the Doom games ripoff? I know of:

Mouth For War (Pantera)
This Love (Pantera)

All I cared to know was that there were tracks that were ripped :)
I found out about that from one (or more) threads on these forums though, quite a while back.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15339 lists some more.

auxois said:

Dude. Again, owned like a bitch.

Good stuff. Moby? That sounds more like Klubbed to Death to me.

Download Moby's Matrix Theme and tell me that doesn't sound like an Enigma-style E1M5 :)
Never heard of Klubbed to Death (though I hear about fuck all being in NZ) but give me a song name and I'll download it, heh.

Python_Junkie said:

Mouth For War (Pantera)
This Love (Pantera)

Add one more, Slayer - south of heaven

Scragaedelic, I loved your E1M8 and your "Old School" E1M5 remix, great stuff. I'll definitly check these out.

OMG NZ. :( I want to go back there.

Anyway, I love the Floating Imp Body one, you should submit that to OC Remix.

boris said:

Whoa, nice stuff! Especially Mystic Voices! What songs exactly did you use in there?

Most of the samples in the song I got from Bardcat (if anyone remembers him, he hasn't been online much for about a year, trying to build a social life) but the reversed string sample was from the start of Linkin Park's 'Faint' from Meteora. The start of the song uses a sample from 'Sirens In The Distance' from the Half-Life soundtrack to create part of an interlude from Tool's 'Schism' (right on 4 minutes into the song.) As for the main part of the song, I already had that in my head before I listened to Moby's 'Matrix Theme' (Get It From KaZaA, Free - Today™) but they were strikingly similar so I credited Moby for that just in case he happened to listen to the remix and decided to hunt me down and seriously injure me with a large rubber Michael Jackson.

5hfifty wrote:

I will, but they're so god-damn slow. I submitted Corridor Of No Light to OC Remix about 6 months ago... still nothing. Not even an E-mail to tell me I'm still in the queue or if I've been rejected, nothing. The guys in #ocremix give me the impression the only way I'd get my songs on that site is if I grabbed djpretzel by the ears and blasted it to him using speakers the size of chateau entrances.

First time I've heard these and I must say I'm very impressed.

At Doom's Gate is brilliant, somehow I could just see myself listening to that whilst playing a Bryant Robinson wad.

Corridor of No Light could imho do with a bit less bass at the start and just leave that whiny chord, because that's the scary element in that one, but I loved the build-up and the end, especially the change in tempo.

Drumming Ace - cool and real nice development at the end.

Floating Imp Body - truly awesome. Brings a new dimension to what was always one of my favourite mids. Very eery.

Mystic Voices - heh, ditto. That is actually a top-quality mp3. I really love this one and the end is super-cool!

Waiting for Romero is again definitely faithful to the original and I could see myself dooming to that one too.

Keep going man, these rock.

5hfifty said:

OMG NZ. :( I want to go back there.

yay for NZ :)

OMG I must've somehow skipped Mystic Voices, it owns! I'd love to see this on OC. Love the ending.

el zee said:

yay for NZ :)

Yes.

Python_Junkie said:

Oh, and for the record, just what other songs did the Doom games ripoff?

I know one was Slayer, "Behind The Crooked Cross"

Wow. Thank you all so much for your wonderful and positive comments. I apologise, haven't been able to reply to this thread the past couple of days due to this really homosexual waste of time called school (have to actually study for exams this year, heh.) I will submit Mystic Voices and Floating Imp Body to OC Remix and follow up on the submission from long ago, and... if I don't get a response within the next three days, I'll, eat.. stuff...

/me rolls eyes around...

Yes, and I will make more, just when I get time! *sigh!*

Man, these are pretty damn cool. I usually don't listen to any old MP3 off the 'net, or Doom music for that matter, but these really caught my attention. I guess the only word to desrcibe the coolness of these cool songs would be... uh... 'scragadelic'.

Python_Junkie said:

Mouth For War (Pantera)
This Love (Pantera)

Here's a full list of the songs paired with the map they are on:
E1M1: Metallica - Master of Puppets
E1M4: Pantera - Rise
E2M1: AC/DC - Big Gun
E2M2: Metallica - The Call of Ktulu
E3M1/E3M9: Pantera - Mouth For War
E3M3/E4M3: Slayer - Behind the Crooked Cross
MAP07/MAP19/MAP29: Slayer - South of Heaven
MAP18/MAP27: Pantera - This Love
MAP23: Alice in Chains - Them Bones
MAP25: Alice in Chains - Angry Chair

anyway...

*** Ret- downloads rest of remixes..

good weirk scraggy keep it up!

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Rob Dougan - Klubbed to Death

I apologise. I originally downloaded this song from KaZaA, and as with any filesharing service, an eighth of its population are passively subversive assholes, and another eighth are just plain ignorant and I seemed to have caught the latter eighth. When I downloaded this song (while I was searching for Moby tracks I don't have on CD) there was a thread of about 300 people with Moby - Matrix Theme, but in fact it was actually Clubbed To Death so, pardon my ignorance. :) I will reupload the song again with fixed id tags some time in the near future.