Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johner

What do you use to play doom (I, II...)? And to find online games?

I have doom 95 but I have also tried others like zdoom I have windows XP. Please tell me your favorite ways/programs to play doom. If you use a combination like 1 for single player and 1 for multi please tell. Thank you :)

ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND GAMES ONLINE FOR DOOM???

I changed the topic but please answer the old one if you can...

PLEASE tell me any good levels, wads, mods or conversions for doom II or 1 etc. I can't find anything "made for cooperative". Please tell!

Johner said:

PLEASE tell me any good levels, wads, mods or conversions for doom II or 1 etc. I can't find anything "made for cooperative". Please tell!

Doesn't have to be a "made for cooperative" conversion or mod, but anyone know any good levels for cooperative at least?

Also what version of doom does everyone here play? I have doom95 but I can't seem to get edge or zdoom to work on levels later in the game. Please tell all.

Well, use anything but doom95 really. Zdoom is a good choice for all around goodness, but you really ought to have the other most popular ones installed also.

Dont see why youre having problems, what like? If its to do with network gaming, I think zdoom has always been plagued by network problems. Try them all, every port has strong points and weak points, so dont just try to pick one and stick to it alone.

MM and MM2 were both made with coop in mind, and many of the good megawads are coop friendly (e.g. all the compet-n pwads are coop-able, I believe). Also, Squadron 417 was intended for coop play only (though most of the maps are OK for SP too).\

There is a website that comments on many wads' suitability for coop. A forum search should produce a link (sorry, don't have time to search; I'm on top of a mountain ATM and my money is running out).

EDIT: Heh, Doug beat me to it.

Play Icarus, it was designed with COOP in mind. Eternal Doom is designed for single player, most of the maps have coop starts, but not all do, and some triggers are non-repeatable in some of the maps, not good for coop play. The Momento series is good as well.

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

heh, actually there is stuff designed solely for coop, and are marked unplayable in single player. these include: 3gyztag2, mines, altier6, gdreams, snake-2p, wizard3, strength, squadron, and a41_coop. although more than likely most of these suck.

Thanks all who replied keep em coming if you can :) Please give me links on where to download if possible.

Johner said:

Doesn't have to be a "made for cooperative" conversion or mod, but anyone know any good levels for cooperative at least?

Also what version of doom does everyone here play? I have doom95 but I can't seem to get edge or zdoom to work on levels later in the game. Please tell all.

Doom95 can't be played with a source port. Go to the /doom2/doomcd/ folder on your cd, copy the doom.wad into your DooM 2 folder and then run ZDoom, it should be fine.

As for co-op wads, Fragport (see sig) is co-op friendly (2 players only though).

The Ultimate DooMer said:

As for co-op wads, Fragport (see sig) is co-op friendly (2 players only though).

Heh. Fragport rules! I've actually never tried co-op on it, but I suppose it's rather good.

The Ultimate DooMer said:
Doom95 can't be played with a source port. Go to the /doom2/doomcd/ folder on your cd, copy the doom.wad into your DooM 2 folder and then run ZDoom, it should be fine.

Um, what the... really?

The IWADs that run with Doom95 should work fine with any source-based engine. Any source mods that don't run them have... issues.

Personally I use Doom2 and Doom through Kahn to play. But I'm on Windows 98 on this machine, so it all works fine for me (it certainly wouldn't on XP.) We play standard DeathMatch and Coop.

I'd suggest something relatively light for coop unless you're quite familiar with the WAD on single player mode... but playing it through on single player first at least once is recommended anyway; it's much more enjoyable if you can play through without Player deaths, so the best choices are usually shorter WAD sets that aren't too tough. With my buddy we've played on the four DOOM episodes and then tried some other stuff like The Darkening E2 and Fava Beans. Browse through the DOOM Archive (or through the idgames search engine here on Doomworld), the text files for the WADs usually tell you if coop is supported, and if it's just two players most WADs are fine. For more players you might want to make sure the WADs have more strict coop support (not just Player starts, but also wide halls and lots of ammo and many monsters.)

I use PrBoom for single player, ZDaemon for online play.

All the cooperative wads I know of have already been mentioned.

Is this yet another "What's your favorite port" thread, in disguise? =)

The various DOOM.EXE/DOOM2.EXEs, of course (with the NT patch when running under Win2000). Everything from the original "DOOM Operating System v0.99" to the Final DOOM exec, depending on mood or task at hand.

Well I use Zdoom all the way... but for Online Games, I use IDE, Zdeamon, CSDOOM, and Doom Connector. IDE Needs at least one of these three to run:

Zdeamon
CSDoom
SkullTag

And don't use Doom 95, I used to and it disgusted me. I used it only back in the day of my regular Doom editing.

Xaser said:

Heh. Fragport rules! I've actually never tried co-op on it, but I suppose it's rather good.

yeah but only 2 players sux ... dropping 4 player starts is so easy...

Python_Junkie said:

While it's not a PWAD, Final DOOM's "The Plutonia Experiment" was made for Co-op too.
I'd take co-op over DM any day, BTW.

yeah, I prefer coop a thousand time over DM... DM can be funny once in a while, but I get bored after a while.

For Plutonia in coop, it has a lot of great maps (31 and 32 for example) but some maps have been completely half-assed too... nasty monster placement, no weapons or health.

So, no, I would not say Plutonia is coop friendly. TNT is much better.
Although, I prefer Plutonia when playing solo. TNT has a lot of crappy designed/looking maps.

Nice one. Not only did you bump an eight month old thread, but you did it with a double post.