Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
tsareppsun

What the...!? Who's articles is most accurate?

I don't know if anybody said anything about this yet, but after reading all the articles of the other gaming sites on that forum on the intro page,

"Even more Doom3 info: Tues, Sept 23 2003"

It's stated that these 4 gaming sites, Ign, Gamespot, Eurogamer, and Gamespy all saw and talked about the ingame footage of the "Single Gameplay". I notice one very slight diffferneces on certain topics, most prominent is on the storyline settings.

"Ign" and "Gamespot's" articles stated that you as the Marine will incounter the "Demon Infestation on Mars moon"(meaning "Phobos",right?) They don't actually say Phobos base, but this is what is said. So my take on this info means the marine was stationed on "Mars base" then was sent with comrades to "Phobos base" to deal with the demon infestation.

But the other 2 gaming sites "Eurogamer" and "GameSpy" implied that the demon infestation happened on "Mars base"(not Phobos base)not long after the marines arrived for sercurity duty. So this says that all the fun-n-games(read that"HORROR SHOW") happens at Mars base. In fact, they don't even mention Phobos or say "Moon base" as the 1st two gaming site articles mentioned.

So my confusion is this, Who's articles is more accurate regarding the game's settings? Does the marine start out stationed on Mars base, then is sent to Phobos, then he incounters the demons? Or he's sent to Mars base from home(Earth) And the demons attack while stationed on Mars base, And does he even goes to Phobos base at all? I don't have to bring up the "Hell chapter" and whatnot, I know he's going there at some point of the game, I just what to know where the demon infestation is going to happen first. Is it just Mars base, Or is it Mars and Phobos base. Can somebody clear this up for me? especially somebody at id.

And one more question, Not directed to anybody in particular, Why is the outer Mars moon "DEIMOS" is thus far, left out of the storyline?

Arioch said:

There are no moon bases in Doom 3.

Nope, but many previewers, for some reason, think there are.

Tim Willits laughed at he idea of a base on mars "there would be no gravity"

Wobbo said:

IIRC he laughed at the idea of a base on one of Mars's moons, I kid you not. Also, I believe that you actually arrive at Mars's outpost by ship. This doesn't mean for certain that we will actually start on a spaceship on it's way to Mars, although that might be a great idea.

Fredrik said:

No, that was the idea of a base on one of Mars' moons. Mars' gravity is significant.

EDIT: Damnit Disorder :P

I beat you to it! :D

Wobbo said:

No, that was the idea of a base on one of Mars' moons. Mars' gravity is significant.

Tim Willits explicitely said Doom3 will take place on MARS, not on Phobos or Deimos. The two moons are just small malformed rocks with no gravity, they would be crappy settings for Doom3.

Fredrik said:

To be a smartarse, it's about 1/3 that of Earth ;)

I wonder if iD will put that in, so that falling damage is reduced, as well as other things...more likely they'll simply say the base has artificial Earth gravity, except for a few maps where it's been damaged no doubt.

It occurs on Mars base. It was said in an interview with an iD member... possibly from quakecon. I can't remember...

Bloody hell, have you people never heard of artificial gravity? This is a sci-fi setting after all! =P

NiGHTMARE said:

Bloody hell, have you people never heard of artificial gravity? This is a sci-fi setting after all! =P

Lack of gravity isn't so much my problem with the believability of a Phobos/Deimos base - the problem is the size of the base relative to the size of the moon.

I remember having some interesting ideas on how an artificial gravity could of been implemented on Phobos - have a "gravity core" implemented inside he centre of the moon itself. The "gravity core" could keep the rock afloat while simultaneously have an Earth-like atmosphere.

Btw, there has been rumours of Phobos actually playing a role in Doom 3 - there was something written in code on ua-corp that said something along the lines of "Contact to Phobos routing station lost".

Or maybe that was just something someone made up - it'd be cool if it actually turned out to be a part of the game's story.

eurogamer almost always knows what they are talking about. ign is next to useless for PC coverage and gamespot is only good at feature articles (like their post-mortems of certain games, daikatana comes to mind).

The "Phobos Routing Station", assuming it's part of the game lore and not just something the web guy wrote up, is probably just an array of receivers/transmitters for Earth-to-Mars/Mars-to-Earth transmissions. They might be using them to bounce signals from M-t-E when there isn't a direct line of sight from the base to Earth (as in, Mars is rotated such that it cannot directly transmit to Earth).
I doubt any part of the game will take place on either of the moons.

People that say its on "the mars moon base" are probably just thinking back to the first games, besides ID has said its gonna be on mars, as everybody else has confirmed

So in the small outside areas(like one of new screenies with spiders) whe'll have magnetic boots or we'll float a bit and we can take long jumps in 1/3 earth gravity ...that would be fun

Yo-Han said:

we'll float a bit and we can take long jumps in 1/3 earth gravity ...that would be fun

Low gravity sucks... it could be fun for a secret level but nothing more. I hate the low gravity maps and mutators in UT2003, it just turns the gameplay into something stupid.

Same with Ziggurat Vertigo of Quake. It's more fun in single player, especially when you get the rocket launcher. However, it's terrible in deathmatch.

Dslyecxi said:

The "Phobos Routing Station", assuming it's part of the game lore and not just something the web guy wrote up, is probably just an array of receivers/transmitters for Earth-to-Mars/Mars-to-Earth transmissions.

Yep, if and when a Mars base ever gets built in real life, it wouldn't be inconceivable for them to use at least one of Mars' moons as a sort of natural satellite dish like you describe.

In early Doom3 talks, they said that it would be on Phobos, but now they've changed it to Mars. Tim Willits said that "it was just a cool name" in some interview, and that the plot is now on Mars and, later on, in Hell.