Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

"Hell to Pay" add-on pack?

Probably nowhere, though if it's anything like Perdition's Gate, their other addon, the quality probably drops sharply after the demo levels. It was unfortunate, since the first 11 levels were quite nice.

I'll hafta agree, the first 11 levels of Perdition's Gate were much nicer than most of the rest of the levels.

Vile said:

Probably nowhere, though if it's anything like Perdition's Gate, their other addon, the quality probably drops sharply after the demo levels. It was unfortunate, since the first 11 levels were quite nice.

I have to agree with that. The first (demo) part was quite nice although much too short. The rest of this WAD was also quite short (most of the maps are tiny!) but the design was rather dull and monotonous. I was totally unimpressed by it as most freely available WADs of that time have been better. It was certainly not worth the money I paid for it on eBay.

I wouldn't be surprised if HTP had the same drop of quality after the demo levels although they have been significantly better (and larger) then PG (but after one bad experience I am not going to spend money for the full version!)

I rather liked what was it? Map 06? It was the one before the sewers with a switch that flooded an entire room to open the exit. That was cool. There was a bridge over a pipe and everything. It was very short, but was fun. This is PG.

Sorry, I don't know of any way to obtain the full version of Hell To Pay (legally or otherwise). Shame, because I thought the limited edition was really promising (more so than PG), and weird in a way I liked.

I'd say that Perdition's Gate was an OK megawad (not top 10, but top 20); I wouldn't say I especially detected a drop in quality after the first 11. The maps tended to get a bit smaller though maybe - some were more like arenas.

btw, does anyone remember the DOOMIII and DOOMIV (doom3.zip and doom4.zip) that were upped to cdrom.com in February '99?

One of those was the full version of H2P, the other the full Perdition Gate. Some smartass calling himself Matt Drury stole the credits, (changed some sounds and graphics?) and claimed it was a "Strike Force Software" release.

The funny thing, he was the only guy on the purported company's roster:

Matt Drury : Project Leader, Programming, Advertising, Compiling
Natalie Exall : Level design
Angela Drury : Artwork, Design
Sarah Jackson : Sprites
Kirsty Jordan : Sound, demos
Katie Strouts : Gum chewing

It was a long time since I had a look at it, but IIRC the H2P wasn't exactly the same as the original ...