Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

NIN News worth hearing for once

From a Kerrang! article (Skip to the bottom if you want the real exciting info):

Danny Lohner said in a article asking about Underworld OST:

"Trent Reznor is like my mentor. I don't compete with him. He's on a another level when it comes to things like that."
Danny Lohner, longtime bassist/guitarist/programmer with Nine Inch Nails, is aware that he's got a lot to live up to. NIN mainman Reznor famously revolutionised the art of movie soundtracks with his groundbreaking work on Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers and David Lynch's Lost Highway. Now Lohner has followed in Reznor's footsteps and put together the soundtrack to acclaimed Brit vampire flick Underworld.

It's been suggested that much of the music on the Underworld soundtrack was originally written for Lohner's Tapeworm project, the semi-mythical supergroup that has, in five or so years since its inception, featured contributions from Reznor, A Perfect Circle/Tool frontman Maynard Keenan and Pantera's Phil Anselmo. Lohner insists that Tapeworm remains a separate entity – it currently features himself, Reznor, Keenan and former 12 Rounds drummer Atticus Ross – although he admits his frustration that it has never seen the light of day.
"I know, man, it's a joke," he sighs. "It's painfully close to being finished. We've got a whole Tapeworm album ready to mix. What happens is that we do the songs, then everybody has to go off and do their own thing. We actually got to a point during the last Tool tour, where we were all really focused, and we were planning to get the record out by Christmas 2002. Then we got into some legal scenario – Maynard was signed to one label, Trent to another, blah blah blah to cut a long story short we ended up shelving it yet again."
With Tapeworm still on hold, Lohner is gearing up to start work on the long-awaited follow up to Nine Inch Nails' 1999 masterpiece The Fragile ("I just spoke to Trent the other day," he says. "I'm going down to New Orleans to catch up with him and see where it's at.") And he's not ruling out hooking up with Messrs Borland and Patrick again.
"I'd love to work with Wes and Rich in the future," he says. "I'd love to get in a van and tour the country, just like the old days. Play the clubs that we played when we were coming up. That'd be cool."

Note: in a misquote, Danny Lohner actually said he was going to the NOLA studio to check some things out and that the new NIN album will be out at the end of the year.

So, we may just get a new NIN album for Christmas. Sounds cool as long as Trent doesn't push it back for some reason.

fuckin' a. this is great news. can't wait for the new album, i loved the fragile and all the other albums before that too. gonna have to pick up the underworld soundtrack. i wanna hear this tapeworm, it sounds interesting. great job melfice, HiGh FiVe!

I really have to wonder what the new album will be like. The Fragile was a step in a totally different direction from TDS. I also wonder if it'll be a two-cd set like The Fragile. Hmm. So many questions. I wish nin.com would freaking just fade those few black pixels and give us a real update, such as, with the freaking album name!!!

Melfice said:

The Fragile was a step in a totally different direction from TDS.

Actually, his LP's have all had a different sound. PHM was more 80's style techno with industrial, Broke was more live rock industrial, TDS was quite industrial, and TF was orchastrated industrial. which is why i like nin, he doesn't stick with one boring formula (like metallica, of whom i dislike all the new stuff but enjoy the older).

I'd assume so. It doesn't take Trent this long to come out with a EP lol. Plus after all the Lathe of Heaven crap and messeges encoded in binary on nin.com, plus the entire freaking summer of fading backgrounds, I'd have to definitely say so.

Besides, we're really close to hitting that infamous 5 year mark between all the NIN LP's

Python_Junkie said:

The guy's gotta get to at least Halo 20 before he retires.

I'm not really into NIN, so can someone tell me what this whole 'Halo #' is about?

everything NIN releases gets marked with a halo number. halo 2 is the album 'pretty hate machine' for instance. i don't know what the story is behind it though.

I'm not very excited. I've heard Reznor quoted as saying the new record will be more lyric-oriented and musically far less dense. I just wonder how the music can possibly be less dense than the Fragile.

Disorder said:

I'm not really into NIN, so can someone tell me what this whole 'Halo #' is about?

The numbering method for NIN's releases.

Well, theres a lot of confusion about what he said. It seems that quite a few people think that when he said that, he was actually talking about the Still EP that came with the deluxe AATCHB cd live. Which, actually, it being "stripped-down and primitive" (were his exact words), would match Still, considering that all the songs were unplugged versions of more lyric-oriented songs, not to mention the new tracks were all insturmental, except for the actual song And All That Could Have Been.

I think we are looking at broken 2 here... I seriously doubt teh rez has got his shit together enough to release a full LP.

I think he was quoted as saying that there would be less whining, more "Fuck You".

I'm not excluding the possibility of the next album being another EP, but I still have my opinion that its been far too long since the last album for the next one to be an EP. It just doesn't take someone, especially Trent, that long to create and release an EP.

especially trent?

i was under the assumption that he was one of the laziest artists in popular music today

As usual a retarded action taken by someone. I'm sure somewhere in this world though its intelligent for someone to post on a thread about something they don't even like with a meaningless and short reply just to make themselves look like an ass. But then again even the lowest form of intelligence with any form of common sense probably knows how stupid that is and what a waste of time it would be.

I'm not sure if your bitching about spork or liam. Then again, I really don't care. :P

Liam the Bard said:

hahahahahahahaha

I doubt there are many albums on the market by an artist released only within a year or 2 of each other that aren't "sellouts"...

ravage: I wouldn't be surprised if he was talking about both of them.

Lüt said:

I'm not very excited. I've heard Reznor quoted as saying the new record will be more lyric-oriented and musically far less dense. I just wonder how the music can possibly be less dense than the Fragile.

Ever heard Still? (The album, I mean)

I heard it'll be kind of minimalist approach similar to that.

Python_Junkie said:

I doubt there are many albums on the market by an artist released only within a year or 2 of each other that aren't "sellouts"...

Um, that would make KMFDM sellouts. They aren't great, but they're definately not sellouts. It would also make Gary Numan, Skinny Puppy and ohGr sellouts. Heh.

Melfice said:

As usual a retarded action taken by someone. I'm sure somewhere in this world though its intelligent for someone to post on a thread about something they don't even like with a meaningless and short reply just to make themselves look like an ass. But then again even the lowest form of intelligence with any form of common sense probably knows how stupid that is and what a waste of time it would be.

think so? different ballgame when it's not your thread?

i do think it's laziness. maybe not, maybe it's preoccupation or uninspiration. with no respect to actual songwriting skills, nails albums are not something a perfectionist would release.

whatever, the vast majority of artists i consider worth the weight of their albums release a long player once every one to three years (believe it cren), or did so while they were still active. i was simply pointing out.

Liam the Bard said:

with no respect to actual songwriting skills, nails albums are not something a perfectionist would release.

I don't know about you, but I think Trent actually puts more effort into the meaning of his lyrics than just:

"Oh no, my girlfriend broke up with me; let's sing about it"
"Yo nigga, you fucked wit me, so now I put a cap in yo ass!"
"Chinese food makes me sick...A&F rules."
"DIE, BITCH! DIE!"
"I may be white, but I'm black at heart"
"God doesn't exist, the world doesn't care about me, fuck them all!"

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

All I have to say is listen to a bit of NIN before making a quick decision such as that, and I'm NOT talking about just The Fragile, or The Downward Spiral (which was the most cacophonic and uninteresting of all his albums IMO) either.

Uninspired? Read up on you NIN history, buddy boy:

PHM = Simple, not really motivated by anything other than his desire to be heard and starting out on the music front

Broken = Here's where it starts...Trent went through a lot of legal trouble with TVT Records in the early 90s. He didn't want to stay in the contract he made with TVT, but the company tried to extend it without his permission. According to Trent, they were trying to take away his creative flair and replace with their own. It was a very frustrating for Trent and put a lot of strain on his life. If you ask me, Broken was an allegory to all of that frustration and hardship he was going through. All of that information coupled with the fact that he rather enjoyed the live, more "rock-ish" sound of his music at Lollapalooza '91 was more than likely the inspiration for Broken.

TDS = How I see it: Trent wanted to combine the sounds of his previous 2 main releases (which he failed miserably at IMO), and as far as I know he was having some freaky happenings "up there" *points to his head*, hence most of the material in it. 'Nuff said.

The Fragile = While not exactly my favorite album either, it does have a bit more logic as to how it came about. Trent's grandmother, the woman who reared him, died in 1997. Needless to say, he was deeply saddened by this event and fell into a depression. 2 years later he finally snapped out of it and never felt better about life since. A lot of the "happier" sounding songs on The Fragile were inspired by this, some of them specifically honored his grandmother (albeit subliminally), and even some of them were even inspired by the OPPOSITE feeling of coming out of depression, though not directly.

Preoccupied? Of course, but with good reason. As stated in the article, Trent's been working with Maynard for a while now on "Tapeworm", not to mention the work he started on for the DOOM 3 soundtrack before he called it quits. I for one was hoping that he would get it done and that it would blow that God-awful Quake soundtrack out of the water. Looks like that won't happen.

Dan: I never said "all"...I just said I don't know too many. KMFDM is one of the obvious exceptions, along with, oh, say, Skinny Puppy in their early days.

Python_Junkie said:

froth

THANK YOU for the comprehensive history of nine inch nails, mary.

i like how you know what i have and haven't heard, i could walk to my living room and come back with every one of the creepy bastard's originals and a few miscellaneous halos to boot. i do know nails' stuff, and i have my own (well-formed) opinions about the quality of it. of course, you know how productive our arguments about that always wind up being.

so, it's a good thing i said fuck all about rezzy's actual musicianship or skills as a lyricist (which you conveniently ignored, despite it being in plain text right at the start of your damn quote). i maintain my claim that a nails album would not be released by a 'perfectionist'. i make two supporting arguments

1.) reznor is a bad producer
2.) reznor is a bad vocalist

argue otherwise, i dare you.

assuming a perfectionist were to write the fragile, or the downward spiral, and the quality of his songs were musically and lyrically up to his standards (since that's really subjective anyway), would he not want his creation to be presented in a spit-shine polished manner? of course he would, but would he refuse the help of others in reaching that end? it comes down to that.

he's lazy.

but if you are looking for masterful lyricism, i point you without delay to the magnificent "big man with a gun." i don't find it offensive, no, and i'm aware that it is, at least in part, a parody of gangsta rap. it's just shitty. (i even believe i recall an interview in which reznor admitted that it wasn't very good. after a brief search, i've only found this, though. it also has a bit on his 'perfectionism' and his production. however, judging from the fantastic html usage and the fact that the writer believes that "march of the pigs" is in an odd time signature, i don't know if it can be trusted.)

EDIT: be sure to check down near the end for this fantastic bit:
"Perhaps a solo piano album is in your future?"
"Yeah, in a couple years when no one likes me anymore."