Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Mapper's Block

Lately I've had somewhat of a mapper's block problem. I've attempted, time and again, to start out on my next Heretic level. Now there's no lack of inspiration and I know what I want to see, but actually creating the level to what I want to see is the problem. I can draw a few sectors, but then all inspiration leaves me and I restart the level.
Naturally this frustrates me. I'm just wondering: what do you guys do when you get a case of mapper's block?

Sometimes, I play other games and look at some of the architecture for a few ideas.

You know how you sometime use freewriting to jog the mind? Try freemapping.
Try making some small cool bits and put them together.

SET-UP: The object is set before the mind, either in reality as in sketching (before a landscape or teacup or old face) or is set in the memory wherein it becomes the sketching from memory of a definite image-object.

PROCEDURE: Time being of the essence in the purity of levels, sketching level structure is undisturbed flow from the mind of personal secret ideas, blowing (as per jazz musician) on subject of image.

METHOD: No doors separating room-structures already arbitrarily riddled by false divisions and timid usually needless stairs-but the vigorous doorways separating rhetorical breathing (as jazz musician drawing breath between outblown phrases)

SCOPING: Not "selectivity' of expression but following free deviation (association) of mind into limitless blow-on-subject seas of thought, swimming in sea of linedefs with no discipline other than rhythms of rhetorical exhalation and expostulated statement, like a fist coming down on a table with each complete line, bang! (the space dash)-Blow as deep as you want-draw as deeply, fish as far down as you want, satisfy yourself first, then player cannot fail to receive telepathic shock and meaning-excitement by same laws operating in his own human mind.

LAG IN PROCEDURE: No pause to think of proper shape but the infantile pileup of shapes till satisfaction is gained, which will turn out to be a great appending rhythm to a thought and be in accordance with Great Law of timing.

TIMING: Nothing is muddy that runs in time and to laws of time-Shakespearian stress of dramatic need to run now in own unalterable way or forever hold tongue-no revisions (except obvious rational mistakes, such as unclosed sectors).

CENTER OF INTEREST: Begin not from preconceived idea of what to draw about image but from jewel center of interest in subject of image at moment of construction, and draw outwards swimming in sea of linedefs to peripheral release and exhaustion-Do not add on afterwards except for poetic or P. S. reasons. Never afterthink to "improve" or defray impressions, as, the best level editing is always the most painful personal wrung-out tossed from cradle warm protective mind-tap from yourself the song of yourself, blow!-now!-your way is your only way-"good"-or "bad"-always honest ("ludi- crous"), spontaneous, "confessionals' interesting, because not "crafted." Craft is craft.

STRUCTURE OF WORK: Modern bizarre structures (gothicdm, etc.) arise from level editing being dead, "different" themes give illusion of "new" life. Follow roughly outlines in outfanning movement over subject, as river rock, so mindflow over jewel-center need (run your mind over it, once) arriving at pivot, where what was dim-formed "beginning" becomes sharp-necessitating "ending" and construction shortens in race to wire of time-race of work, following laws of Deep Form, to conclusion, last room, last trickle-Night is The End.

MENTAL STATE: If possible draw "without consciousness" in semi-trance (as Yeats' later "trance writing") allowing subconscious to admit in own uninhibited interesting necessary and so "modern" levels what conscious art would censor, and construct rooms excitedly, swiftly, in accordance (as from center to periphery) with laws of orgasm, Reich's "beclouding of consciousness." Come from within, out-to relaxed and said.

Could've said it better myself, Fraggle, but your explanation will suffice for now. Heh.

Turn off the computer, go outside and look at the wonderous planet mother nature has given you

Then make a map where tou get to blow it all to bits

I usually only ever have mappers block when I'm just mapping for the sake of it. If I'm mapping for a project or something, mostly I'll get my level done.

Ask people if you can test-play their maps before they are released. Then steal their maps by releasing them yourself under your own name!

MUHAHAHAhahahaha!

Recently when I ran out of ideas for my map I played coop through a megawad or two and got some ideas. I also browsed my old wads and got some things.

m0l0t0v said:

Ask people if you can test-play their maps before they are released. Then steal their maps by releasing them yourself under your own name!

MUHAHAHAhahahaha!

That's pretty violent for a Ghandi follower. :P