Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
5hfifty

How do I make a sector start scrolling in ACS?

In this level I'm working on(!), I have a sector that lowers quickly and then goes into an underground water tunnel thing. Now, how would I make that sector start scrolling (and pulling things with it) when you cross the line? I'm assuming you'd have to use scripts, so anyone who can, please help. I've checked out the Zdoom editing section and all.

Thanks.

I don't think you can start a sector scrolling once the map starts. It's a special function in the game. Either it scrolls or it doesn't.

you, could, however make it do the trick that randy used to make his fake floor over floor(just a silent teleport that remebers player position) and have it go into the underwater sector and then make that floor scroll. :D

wrong-o!

in a dummy sector make another sector (sector within a sector) and make sure the lines of the inner sector all face inwards. now tag one of those lines scroll_floor(tag, 5, 1, 0, 0); (special 223) where tag is the sector tag of the floor you want to scroll.

now when you want the floor to start scrolling simply lower the floor with that line on it (the sector the line's frontside is facing) and the floor will scroll for as long as that sector is moving, once it stops so will the floor. I can't recall is the direction will reverse when the sector moves back up, but if you keep it in constant motion it should continue moving

Why so complicated?

// Scroll_Floor (tag, x-move, y-move, s/c) for floors
// Scroll_Ceiling (tag, x-move, y-move, 0) for ceilings
// Scroll_Texture_Both (id, left, right, up, down) for walls

Or just setup an already complete, scrolling underwater sector with a particular tag number, and "copy" this behaviour by giving the 'target' sector the same tag.

Graf Zahl said:

Why so complicated?

// Scroll_Floor (tag, x-move, y-move, s/c) for floors
// Scroll_Ceiling (tag, x-move, y-move, 0) for ceilings
// Scroll_Texture_Both (id, left, right, up, down) for walls

as far as I know scroll floor specials only work on level initilization and can't be started after that

Cyb said:

as far as I know scroll floor specials only work on level initilization and can't be started after that

No, these are ACS specials. Just check the Zspecial.acs file if you doubt it. I got the parameter lists from the source.

okay I just checked and it indeed does work, much easier this way, you just need to figure out the proper x-move and y-move values to get it scrolling the right direction and speed

While we're on the subject of scrollers, what's the difference between displacement and accelerative scrollers? And which one must be used to change the speed and direction in-game?

The Ultimate DooMer said:

While we're on the subject of scrollers, what's the difference between displacement and accelerative scrollers? And which one must be used to change the speed and direction in-game?

well an accelerative scroller is a displacement scroller, it's just that the accelerative one, as the name suggests, gets faster and faster. displacement scrollers are ones that move when the sector the line is facing moves up/down

The accelerative and displacement scrollers are a real pain to use because they are so unintuitive. Anyway, the displacement scrollers set the speed according to a sector's height change, the accelerative scrollers set the acceleration (the amount the speed is changed) according to a sector's height change. The displacement scrollers only scroll as long as the control sector is moving and the scroll amount directly relates to the movement of the control sector. For permanently changing a scroller's speed ypu must use an accelerative scroller.

If you are using ZDoom don't bother with these and use the ACS specials instead. Anything you can do with an accelerative or displacement scroller can be done with these much more easily by manipulating the scroll speed directly.

So, is it possible to make a working script that scrolls a floor in one direction, then slows it down and stops it, and a few seconds later scrolls it in the other direction?

So, is it possible to make a working script that scrolls a floor in one direction, then slows it down and stops it, and a few seconds later scrolls it in the other direction?

Yes. Repeated scroll_floor/scroll_ceiling's don't create new scrollers, they modify the old one if one exists so you can change the speed at will.