Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

HELP! SOMETHING KILLED MY MAP!

I've run into a major problem throughout my map. While my nodes were building in Doom Builder my computer crashed. Now my map can't be loaded for editing. I have a backup, but it's over 1 hour and a half's worth of work behind. I don't want to redo those parts of my map. Is there anyway to fix my messed up wad. Like say using Zennode on it outside the editor or something. If there is tell me the command line I should use in DOS for it. If something else... please tell me what it is. I am desperate and will try anything to get my map working again. Please HELP!

One more thing... where does Doom Builder put my backups? I have the backup option checked, but the last backup produced that I found was made by WadAuthor and not Doom Builder. I need to know soon so I can continue working on my map.

I tried ZenNode.exe dtca_map18test-b.wad -o dtca_map18test-b.wad

Yesterday and it crashed. Right now because it never finished building, my map is only 29 bytes... is there anyway to repair this. It's supposed to be like, over a meg... over a meg... that doesn't fit quite right...... did Doom Builder do that... anyways I really need this fixed. I need an answer soon before I get home.

BTW... will ZenNode.exe dtca_map18test-b.wad make any difference than what I used?

Considering the filesize your map is most certainly lost. But since you claim to have lost 1,5 hours of work it shouldn't be that much trouble to rebuild from an older backup.

There's a chance the map data could be recovered manually using a hex editor, if only nothing has actually gotten *deleted*. At least that's what I'd try myself.

backups are usually in your windows temp folder. That is if you have windows. Otherwise I haven't a clue.

cyber-menace said:

I tried ZenNode.exe dtca_map18test-b.wad -o dtca_map18test-b.wad Yesterday and it crashed. Right now because it never finished building, my map is only 29 bytes... is there anyway to repair this.

If I'm reading this correctly, that looks like you used the same input and output file names - which is a surefire way to destroy the original file if you have a problem. A much safer way is to always use a different name.

FireBastard said:

If I'm reading this correctly, that looks like you used the same input and output file names - which is a surefire way to destroy the original file if you have a problem. A much safer way is to always use a different name.

Well... I just copied the line for the ZenNode in Doom Builder because I didn't have a sweet mother of a clue what to do with it. I'll go look in my Windows Temp folder and pray to the gods that my map is there. My backup only has 7 out of 9 of the sections... my real map had all 9 done I was doing my usual improovments... I hope my map is there.

I don't get it. You lost only 1,5 hours work yet you've been trying for the past two days to get the lost copy back. You could already have rebuild everything and then some :)

Actually no... I have to go to school during the day so I can't work on it there, and I had things to do after school so I couldn't use it then. And my father has this thing about not letting me use it on school nights, the one time I actually got to sit down and work on my map, my bitch of a sister decided that she had to do her homework right then instead of doing it during the 2 hours she spent on MSN after supper. As you can see, I live in a living hell... I often wonder how I got so many maps done already.

Does the doom builder "make backup when saving" option actually do anything? If it creates a backup in the windows/temp directory, what is the file called?

wad###.tmp
# = number
rename .tmp to .wad and you got it. If you want a more recent version, try the one with the highest number.

No good, I can't even see a single wad###.tmp in my temp folder. I don't think Doom Builder's backup function works. Gherkin needs to find a new and improoved way to use backups.

Well I have some goods news. I sat down tonight for 4 hours and fixed my map. Yeah! WadAuthor butchered my map some more which is why it took so long. It took a large chunck of my trees and changed them to 384 Ceiling with Sky texture, so it took me another 40 minutes to fix that. I lost more work than I thought... Now all I need to do is add some finishing touches. DM support, work on gameplay a bit, difficulty settings, my start and ending areas need some serious work, other than that, it should be fine. I might have this map uploaded tomorrow night, but that's probably too late for this week's newstuff so I guess you'll all have to wait... thx for your suggestions even if I couldn't find my backup. You guys are good people, always helping a doomer in need. Should be more folks like you in this world.