Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ceilti

MacDoom II problems

Hello everyone,

I started playing Doom II a few years ago when I was very sick (to keep my sanity). I'm a bit better now and have begun to play Doom again on my new PoweMac G3. I use OS 8.6., and DOOM II v. 1.0.3. None of my old WADS made the data transfer and so, with a lot of help from Doomworld Forums, I have a new collection of WADS. I use Wadenizer to translate PWADS into Mac IWWDS.

I'm experiencing problems. many of the WADS I translate seem not to translate. I wind up with the same old Doom maps etc. Sound WADS don't seem to translate either. And what bothers me most, Music WADS don't either.

Is this because of my PPC (I think I remember the sound WADS working fine with my old 68k Mac.

When I was sick my older brother gave me a completely different Music folder for Doom II containing compeletly different music based on James Bond movies. I am unable to find this file anywhere even with google.

I'm wondering a few things.

Does anyone remember this James Bond music redo, and know where it is?

Am I just out of luck having a Mac and trying to play Doom II?

Can I use DeMacked PPC, to enhance IWADS and the DOOM WAD that came with the CD? And if so how do I use it. Does it work on PC files? (I really enjoy Doom, but I'm not at all an expert, or even really good at it).

A lot of PC PWADS come with DEH files. Doominator does something with these files to change the DOOM WAD in interesting ways. Can I use Doominator on these PC DEH files to do the same thing?

I've been to a great many Mac DOOM sites via google only to find they no longer exist. Does anyone know any current MacDOOM sites that would have Mac DOOM WADS and Music and sounds and MegaWADS?

Sorry to be so long, but I'm still battling pnuemonia, and I have time on my hands again and I'd really like to play DOOM II!

If anyone can think of other options please let me know (apart from getting a different kind of computer!)

Regards,

Ceilti

Hey, I believe I'm one of the last mac doom players still around, so if you have any specific questions feel free to email me at phil1984@spymac.com

First of all, Wadeniser should NOT be needed to run, run of the mill, Vanilla Doom Levels. There is no need to translate PWADS into IWADS. Mac Doom can read standard PWADS just fine. What you will need however is a program called "Doom WADTyper" which will change the WADs icon from a text file to a doom icon. From there all you have to do is drag the level onto the Doom Application and it will load just find. To get this program head over to http://www.macfury.com/

Wadeniser is only really needed if the readme of the WAD you want to use has a reference to a PC program called DeUSF. You shouldn't need it otherwise.

Music WADs will never work with the Mac version of DooM. This is because the PC Music WADs store the music as a MUS while the Mac uses MIDI's. If you have virtual PC (or acess to a PC) then it should be possible to convert the MUS files to MIDI's there and then transfer them on to the Mac. I won't explain how to here though, it is a long process.....

However since the Mac uses Midi's you can pretty much download any Midi on the Web and use it with MacDoom. At the moment I have the MissionImpossible ThemeSong as my MAP01 music for example. If you want to know how to use these MIDI's (very simple, believe me) just email me or ask here.

No I don't know where the James Bond redo is. If you find it, could u please tell me? Sounds like a great track to play Doom too.

You are not out of luck playing Doom with a Mac at all. While many of the more modern maps will not run with it (you will need a Source Port to run these) there are still thousands of WADs out there that are compatible with Doom. I have around 3000 of them on my laptop....

"Can I use DeMacked PPC, to enhance IWADS and the DOOM WAD that came with the CD? And if so how do I use it. Does it work on PC files? (I really enjoy Doom, but I'm not at all an expert, or even really good at it)."

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this!?! DeMacked PPC is used to create DEH files. Infact the author of this utility still maintains a Website over at macfury.com and he has an email address there so if you have any questions about that utillity feel free to ask him.

Doominator does indeed let you use DEH files but there are limitations. Unfortunatley the program was never finished so it can't change things like the automap level name etc.

macfury.com is pretty much the only Mac Doom website around anymore, with one exception. I have an (uncompleted) Mac Doom website at:

http://cronus.comp.utas.edu.au/~prenshaw/macdoom/

Untill now, only 2 or 3 people know that this place exists. I will get around to putting the finishing touches on it one day but there are a few things there that may interest you.....

Sorry about being so long, but I did have a lot to answer ;)

Till next time

Phil

Dear BBG,

Thanks for the file. From what phil said above, after unzipping, I use WasTyper to make the 'mid' files into Mac 'midi' files and rename them, and substitute them for the existing midi files?

Thanks again!

regards,

Ceilti

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough:

To use .wad files (levels) all you have to do is drag them onto "WadTyper". You should see the icon of the file change from a text icon to a doom icon. Then make sure that the .wad is in capital letters (i.e if the file was originally hello.wad , change it to hello.WAD). Once you have done those two steps it is ready to be used by Mac Doom. Simply drag the .WAD file onto the Doom II Application and the level will load.

To use .mid files you don't have to use "WadTyper" at all. That is only used for .WAD files. To use .mid files with the mac version of Doom all you have to do is to re-name the file to the correct name. For example to get a piece of music to run when you are playing the first level you would have to rename it D_RUNNIN.MID! Then simply place it in the Doom Music folder (making sure that you back it up first!) and next time you play MAP01 you should hear the new music.

I hope that clears things up

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I believe I now have the process down. I'm having a lot of fun with all this! Thanks again.

Regards,

Ceilti

Phil1984 said:

Music WADs will never work with the Mac version of DooM. This is because the PC Music WADs store the music as a MUS while the Mac uses MIDI's. If you have virtual PC (or acess to a PC) then it should be possible to convert the MUS files to MIDI's there and then transfer them on to the Mac. I won't explain how to here though, it is a long process.....

I can cover the PC side of it.
1. Extract the music tracks from the PWAD with NWT. Use its "F2-Export raw" function. The resulting files will have extension .RAW (D_RUNNING.RAW etc).
2. Convert the .RAW files to MIDI with MUS2MIDI. You'll need to specify the "-T161" command-line parameter, as the default 192 is too fast, viz:

mus2midi -t161 d_runnin.raw d_runnin.mid
I assume that MIDI files on Mac utilize extension .MID, if not substitute the correct one in the example above.

However since the Mac uses Midi's you can pretty much download any Midi on the Web and use it with MacDoom

Incidentally, you can import straight MIDIs into WADs on the PC, and DOOM will play them just fine.

You are not out of luck playing Doom with a Mac at all.

Well, threads like these don't exactly make me want to run out and buy a Mac; but having choice is good, provided you are willing to accept the pain =).