Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Least favorite Doom/Doom 2 monster?

OK, instead of your favorite monster, which one is your least favorite? Which monster do you think is lame / sucks / just plain annoying?

I find it pretty hard to dislike any of the Doom monsters all that much, it's a pretty good lineup. If I had to single one out, though, it would have to be the Lost Soul. It's a skull. With fire. That flies. Definately one of the less interesting monsters, visual-wise. It has one of the more interesting attacks, but it's not really effective unless they're swarming you. It doesn't even count for kills (because of the Pain Elemental spawning them, I suppose). I can't say that I hate the Lost Soul, but it's kinda meh to me.

The SS Nazi pisses me off, but I don't really count him as a Doom monster since it's a cameo. Actually, I dislike most of that cameo crap in Doom 2. Except for Romero's-head-on-a-stick. That was kinda cool.

So, what is your least favorite Doom monster?

The Pain Elemental!

I prefer lost souls all by themself. The PE is too annoying.

Archviles. If you're surrounded by more than two, you're dead despite your Megasphere.
So goes Vilecore down with.

The revenant. It's noises are irritating, it's homing rocket attack has a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it and...well, c'mon, it's damn skeleton! It's like a lost soul, only more bones, which means more annoying. Besides, just about every single video game, since their conception, always has it's token skeleton enemy. Dumb.

Yeah the revenant. Kind of funky in a dancing kind of way, but totally unoriginal and unrealistic.

I loathe the Pain Elemental and the Revenant. The Pain Elemental for its damn attack (spitting out hordes of bastard Lost Souls, another annoying enemy), and the Revenant because of its damn homing rocket. You've cleared out a whole room of bad guys, and killed all those damned Revenants as well, and there are a couple of homing rockets flying through the air, hunting you down. You've got like 44% health and 0% armor and just when you think you've evaded those blasted rockets, blam!, you're hit by one you didn't see coming and you're down to 0% health. It causes highly unnecessary frustration, the kind that makes you want to smash your keyboard in half and bite through your mouse cord. It seems like every hard level out there has like fourteen billion Revenants teleport in every time you pick up a Soulsphere or a Blue Keycard or something.

The revenant.

I like the way it acts, but I hate the way it looks and sounds.

I abhor it's active(breath) sound. Sure it is okay when there are only a bunch of them running around, but when there are hordes of them active at a time (which is rather common) the din is deafening.

Pain elementals; they can destroy the pace of a good fight if you want to use the RL. Getting a skull in the face during the rocket festival is a painful thing.

<#zdoom topic> your mom jokes are getting REALLY old

I vote for Commander Keen. Lamest monster. It does not do a thing doesnot
attack you whatnot. That ain't Doom. :P

Reverant.

Its just too perfect..fast, strong, annoying. All compiled in one! I like them, but they are just a little on the anooying side, and I think a baron of hell is easoer then a reverant.

Just about any monster can be aggravating if it's used in the right way. You could be battling it out in a dark room with a couple Barons of Hell and Cacodemons, but you'd still die from the chaingun guys waaaaay off in the distance. Or you could walk into a large cave and pick up a rocket launcher. Out come a dozen Revenants and Hell Knights to ruin your day. Even better is if there's an Arch-Vile behind all those monsters pummeling you without you even seeing it. Then there's the classic sniper chaingun guy or Arch-Vile hidden by a false wall trick.

As for which one is the most annoying in general, I'd probably go with the Revenant.

The Pain Elemental - even more so in source ports which have the LOst Soul limit removed.

The Revenant is not a bad monster by itself but far too many mappers have used it wrong. I just don't like being surrounded by them.

Of course the worst thing that could happen is having more than 2 arch-viles and a lot of corpses in a room and no real weapon to defend yourself. Maps that present me with this kind of 'challenge' normaly go directly into the trashcan.

Ichor said:

Just about any monster can be aggravating if it's used in the right way. You could be battling it out in a dark room with a couple Barons of Hell and Cacodemons, but you'd still die from the chaingun guys waaaaay off in the distance.

Are you talking about that one dark room in my level that I sent you? It sounds oddly familiar...

The Private.

They're easy to kill...
They're NO FUN to kill, at that...
They present no challenge...
They carry a stupid weapon...
They miss about half the time...
They're a waste of ammo...

'Nuff said.

Yes it was, heheh. Those two or three chaingun guys there increased the difficulty of that area by about 50%.

Oh by the way:

group of zombies + rocket = fun

Hahah, yeah outside of the original doom monsters, the stealth monsters are the worst, especially when used en masse. I remember a zdoom episode from a little while back by Paul Corfiatis (I think) that really (ab)used them.

I hate the pain elementals. Thye just fill the air with the second most annoying monster the lost souls. And if they have beef with another monster, they just spew out skullies until doomsday. They also make my Map30 times suffer from constantly knocking me off the platform. Oh, and those megawads made for the expert doomers would be slightly more fun and playable by lesser doomers such as I if there were many many less Revanants. TOO MANY DAMN SKELETONS, DUDE! A hell knight trap, or maybe an arachnotron trap would be more manageable than those skeletal jorks.

So pain elemental last place. Ding!
Lost soul, second to last place. Ding!
Revanants: Honorable mention. Ding!

Spectres. They're exactly the same as demons except for the invisibility - which is useless and looks crappy in most areas anyway. (that's the reason I don't use them now)

On the whole, the most poorly-used monster is the cybie or spidermastermind.

I don't like Lost Souls. They're plain, boring, glitched and a waste of two shotty shells, yet you have to kill them to not have to hear their annoying scream/ But Lost Souls aren't my least favourite.

Why hate the product when I can hate the source! Pain Elementals are my least favourite Doom monster! They're weak and slow, but they spew out those LS's like nobody's business and you can't get at them without it spawning one towardes you!

chilvence said:

The stealth monsters in Zdoom. Die Andy Baker, Die.

Heyyyy... I like the stealth monsters, the only negative thing about them is that they might give you a heart attack.

My least favourite monster is... the nazis, even if they aren't Doom they're still in it, ID Software really shouldn't have used Wolfinstein as their secret levels...

In the beginning of map 9, there are too many Lost Souls to begin with, so the Pain Elementals don't spawn anything at all and are completely harmless (no melee attack either).

Vile said:

Hahah, yeah outside of the original doom monsters, the stealth monsters are the worst, especially when used en masse. I remember a zdoom episode from a little while back by Paul Corfiatis (I think) that really (ab)used them.

Yes, it was done by Paul C, and it was called Bella. I rather liked it , personally, though the stealth monsters made it rediculously hard at points.