Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Least favorite Doom/Doom 2 monster?

myk said:

Doomworld Forums rats; always crawling around spilling gibberish out of their diseased snouts, always ready to get their tails stepped on by distracted (or not) passers-by.

Other than that I agree 100% with Grazza.

As do I. The new creatures introduced in Doom2 are a perfect fit with the theme of the game and the new weapon given to the player.

sargebaldy said:

pain elemental, although i hate all the new doom2 ones except the arachnotron.

Well you don't like doom2 at all.

Use3D said:

Well you don't like doom2 at all.

that's very true. there's very few fpses i like less, and i don't like very many fpses.

Try here for Malice info.

I liked Malice, and thought the music was superb too.

My copy came packaged with some computer magazine.

Mancs are cool though Sarge. =P At least they don't have a generic fireball.

Admittedly, sniper mancs are REALLY annoying. And if you're in a confined space with more than one of them, it'll piss you off most of the time.

archviles - if no cover or dealing with more than one

pain elementals - out in the open spewing lost souls which are annoying

revenants - out in the open with those rockets get annoying

chaingunners - I've seen traps with these guys which can mince you up in no time. I'm using a Doomsday patch I made myself which made them more dangerous. Before tweaking his firing rate, just one was able to gun me down quickly without any armor.

Draconio said:

Thinking about Shamblers and Revenants reminds me of a tactic I learned for Quake and found to work in Doom also.

It's a way to prevent the Shambler from using its lighting, and is rather dangerous. You run up to it, and as soon as it starts its melee attack, you run backwards, shoot it, and then run in again before it can make another attack. If you do this right, you can have it wasting all its time swinging at the air without hitting you.

This same technique works equally well on Revenants. Just don't try it when there's more than one around.

That technique also works well against Quake2's Gladiators. It gives them no chance to use that darn railgun. It is especially useful when playing "The Reckoning" addon pack for Q2, with those damn souped-up power shield weilding phoenix cannon shooting one-hit-kill Gladiators on there. Big pain in the ass if I might add.

Oh, and least favorite baddie? Same thing as Mr. Chris.

I never liked the Cyberdemon. I've been playing Doom since I was in kindergarten (I cheated a bit back then). Now, the creature I feared then is the same I fear now.

My father used to play Doom all the time, but in the level "Tricks and Traps" of Doom2, he fell fighting the CyberDemon after having killed all the Barons of Hell in there. I guess seeing your dad "die" in a game makes you a little crazy.

Yes, I'm new.

The best way to take care of that area is to go inside (make sure the door doesn't close behind you by standing under it when it does close), stay inside until the Cyberdemon shoots at you, thus hitting the Barons, and go back into the main blue room. They'll end up fighting the Cyberdemon until most of them are dead and the Cyberdemon is severely weakened. Then go back inside, pick up the invincibility and clean up what's left.

Yeah, I have long since cleared Tricks and Traps. I let myself get swarmed, though, and I couldn't get out to let the smackdown commence without me.

I am playing through Doom 2 on Hurt me Plenty without the aid of cheats for the first time (yup, years of practice with cheats...). I think I'm on the level Bloodfalls. I've finally let Doom get its claws in. The obsession has begun. :D

Ichor said:

The best way to take care of that area is to go inside (make sure the door doesn't close behind you by standing under it when it does close), stay inside until the Cyberdemon shoots at you, thus hitting the Barons, and go back into the main blue room. They'll end up fighting the Cyberdemon until most of them are dead and the Cyberdemon is severely weakened. Then go back inside, pick up the invincibility and clean up what's left.

I just tried that today, and the Baron of Hell (where do you think my name came from? heh) monsters swarmed the Cyberdemon and actually killed it!

Unfortunately, it seems that some ports offbalance that room some. I've seen the Cyberdemon die WAY before many of the Barons are killed before. In Legacy, I saw the Barons kill the Cyb without him even attacking (I believe they got him stuck up against the wall and he couldn't move).

That happens in Doom2 sometimes so I doubt Legacy is doing anything unusual. Actually, I think the cybie dies most of the time at some point, but sometimes he wins.

I wish some ports would allow for leading shots.. I just want to try it, see what its like.

Doom in fast mode, with monsters leading their shots, what could be a better challenge. The normal monsters would seem positively docile :)

Leading shots means taking into account the speed and direction your opponent is moving in, and aiming at where you predict they will be, rather then where they are. It's used when firing projectiles at moving targets, and is invaluable to the deathmatch player.

Legacy:
Options > Game Options > Predicting Monsters

ZDoom also has it but I don't think it's implimented yet.

I think all the monsters are good when used properly. Most of the problems people have with them are when they're being abused or mishandled by mappers, but I can even deal with ridiculous swarms of Revenants once in a while - Scythe map 26 is one I always have fun playing, and that has probably a few hundred Revenants total.

That being said, I wish the Hell Knight were more than just a mere palette swap of the Baron. They missed a great opportunity in making some new and exciting visuals there, even if the monster's behavior/stats were the same.

I also think the Lost Soul, just by itself, is usually pretty boring.

Ubik said:

That being said, I wish the Hell Knight were more than just a mere palette swap of the Baron. They missed a great opportunity in making some new and exciting visuals there, even if the monster's behavior/stats were the same.

That was one of the cool things about the Rebirth megawad. It left the Hell Knights the same, but it gave the Baron of Hell wings and a slightly different head so they looked different.

Pain elementals: Just brown Cacodemons with hands and boxes of Lost Souls in their mouths.

Revenants: They look like they're fucking DANCING when you fight 'em.

Archviles: It took me God knows how long to figure out how to dodge their attacks, but they do make a cool sound when you kill 'em, much like how the Baron of Hell and Cacodemon do.

Arachnotrons: GODDAMN THEIR FUCKING RAPIDFIRE.

You people are all crazy :/

I dont hate any monsters in doom 2 =) They're all REALLY EASY to kill. Even cyber demons half the time. Revanents and pain elementals are only a pain in nightmare difficulty when they launch missiles and LS's at 20 rounds a second :o

Ubik said:

...but I can even deal with ridiculous swarms of Revenants once in a while - Scythe map 26 is one I always have fun playing, and that has probably a few hundred Revenants total.

Gah, I hate that with a passion. The revenant, because of its homing missile attack, is probably the most abused monster in really difficult levels.
You pick up the BFG, 9,000 Revenants come in and pound you into the ground.
You hit a switch and 15 of them suddenly teleport in the rather small room where the switch you just hit is located, causing you to die a quick and painful death.
You open a door and there are like 60 or so clustered behind the door, waiting to destroy you.

hmm how about where theres a maze and a monster like an imp is around the corner, especially when you think the coast is clear then you hear the imp noise, a classic example is the small maze of E1M4 before the 2nd last room

I hate Pain Elementals. They are so annoying. Sometimes there are so many lost souls in the room, that you can't kill the pain elemental, because you are stuck.

mephisto00 said:

I hate Pain Elementals. They are so annoying. Sometimes there are so many lost souls in the room, that you can't kill the pain elemental, because you are stuck.

They're not that bad if you get right in their face. They can't spawn lost souls if if you're by their mouth. Just be sure to back up when they're about to die. It's almost like being next to a rocket blast.