Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

Least favorite Doom/Doom 2 monster?

I actually thought the Vore's purple ball was more evasible (sp) than the Revenant's rocket during the few times that I played Quake.

Of course, the last time I actually played Quake was 2 years ago; if anyone wants to buy a used copy from me...

Draconio said:
Here's another question: how many of you that hate the Revenant hate the Vore from Quake 1 also?

If memory serves me, the areas where you fought the vore always had plenty of places for you to avoid it's attacks, thus making it less annoying than it could be. I always hated the Shambler more since it's attack was pretty difficult to dodge (unless you went up close and used the shotgun).

Python_Junkie said:

I actually thought the Vore's purple ball was more evasible (sp) than the Revenant's rocket during the few times that I played Quake.

It seems just the opposite to me. But then, maybe it's just that I'm more skilled with Doom than Quake.

The Shambler's attack is about as hard (or as easy) to dodge as the Arch-Vile's. All you need is a pillar and about 30 or so shells to kill a Shambler without taking any damage. The Revenant's rocket will home in on you regardless of what is in it's way, while the Vore's...whatever will sometimes go around obstacles, making it extremely hard to dodge them. Of course, the worse and most annoying monster in Quake is by far the Spawn.

Here's the strange thing: I have never once played Quake or the like with a keyboard-mouse combo. If anyone remembers my "keyboarder only" days and seen any ZDoom demos by me during that time will know how choppy my gameplay was. I used that same kind of gameplay in Quake; I'm guessing if I played it today, I'd be moving too fast to find an effective place to repel the Vore's ball.

Thinking about Shamblers and Revenants reminds me of a tactic I learned for Quake and found to work in Doom also.

It's a way to prevent the Shambler from using its lighting, and is rather dangerous. You run up to it, and as soon as it starts its melee attack, you run backwards, shoot it, and then run in again before it can make another attack. If you do this right, you can have it wasting all its time swinging at the air without hitting you.

This same technique works equally well on Revenants. Just don't try it when there's more than one around.

Ichor said:

Of course, the worse and most annoying monster in Quake is by far the Spawn.

Agreed. Even when cheating, they're annoying.

Ichor said:

Of course, the worse and most annoying monster in Quake is by far the Spawn.

And their more repulsive cousins found in Dissolution of Eternity, the ones that live up to their name in the worst way...

I simply must find some of those mission packs. I haven't played one yet (although I do have a couple from Quake 2).

Ichor said:
The Shambler's attack is about as hard (or as easy) to dodge as the Arch-Vile's. All you need is a pillar and about 30 or so shells to kill a Shambler without taking any damage.

True, but I can remember at least several areas where you are not afforded such cover.

I don't mind the revenant; they're kind of fun to fight in my opinion, but the Vore and Spawn, in Quake 1 really piss me off.

BTW, I actually think that the revenant's missiles are easier to dodge than the Vore's.

[fun fact]'Revenant' means 'Spectre' in French[/fun fact]

Doomworld Forums rats; always crawling around spilling gibberish out of their diseased snouts, always ready to get their tails stepped on by distracted (or not) passers-by.

Other than that I agree 100% with Grazza.

myk said:

Doomworld Forums rats; always crawling around spilling gibberish out of their diseased snouts, always ready to get their tails stepped on by distracted (or not) passers-by.

Other than that I agree 100% with Grazza.

but they arent a doom monsters now are they ;)

Draconio said:

Thinking about Shamblers and Revenants reminds me of a tactic I learned for Quake and found to work in Doom also.

It's a way to prevent the Shambler from using its lighting, and is rather dangerous. You run up to it, and as soon as it starts its melee attack, you run backwards, shoot it, and then run in again before it can make another attack. If you do this right, you can have it wasting all its time swinging at the air without hitting you.

This same technique works equally well on Revenants. Just don't try it when there's more than one around.

I do that all the time. But it doesn't work as well with revenants, as their attack takes less time.

Ichor said:

I simply must find some of those mission packs. I haven't played one yet (although I do have a couple from Quake 2).

I recommend them all. The first two (Scourge of Armagon, Dissolution of Eternity) have new weapons/monsters, some unusual themes and IMO are better than the original Quake (they have a cool metal soundtrack too). The third one (Malice) is a futuristic TC which has it's flaws, but is atmospheric and fun nevertheless. (you also get to play with new toys, like hoverboards and probes)

I agree with all that has been said about the Vore and Spawn from Quake 1. Absolutely two of the most irritating and dangerous enemies ever created for an FPS. Kinda makes wonder what the guys at id were smoking when they thought them up.

Vile said:

Hahah, yeah outside of the original doom monsters, the stealth monsters are the worst, especially when used en masse. I remember a zdoom episode from a little while back by Paul Corfiatis (I think) that really (ab)used them.

Fatal used them pretty well in Tqtrust.

There's another retail quake addon that I have called Shrak... that should never have been made retail, but regardless I did win a new soundcard out of a contest that was held for it. I retried it recently and GL was pretty messed up, all the textures showed up solid white for some reason...

But anyway, I pretty much agree with Ultimate Doomer's assessments of the remaining mission packs. Malice, like Shrak, had some rather unusual and awkward gameplay but it's definitely a better product than Shrak on the whole. As for the true mission packs (quake atmosphere intact) I really recommend them both if you liked the simple run and gun action that quake offered, perhaps simply to see if you can appreciate the new experiences (and final bosses that fight back... bleh, shubby is the worst boss).

One last note, as I thought I'd plug a most enjoyable movie for the first mission pack, a speedrunning project converted to AVI format!

http://www.machinima.com/displayarticle2.php?article=313

EDIT: oops, meant to post a link to Shrak if you wanted to see it anyway (it wouldn't surprise me if a great majority never heard of it).

http://www.shrak.com/shrak.html

Zell said:

/me goes and make map called 5000revrants.wad

Cruelty at it's worst. But I think that was nuts3.wad.

Pain Elementals. They're annoying by themselves, but some people think it's cool to add like 10 of them in a room full of revenants.

That reminds me, revenants are annoying because people think 200 revenants in one area is a good idea.