Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
netnomad312

Barrel Awakenings

In my current level, I have a structure with 9 cacodemons in it. At one point, one line activates a crusher off the map, which sets of a barrel chain. Five barrels end up teleporting to different spots inside the structure... and should wake up the cacos, who will then fly out and attack. But sometimes, one or two of them don't wake up, even after taking the damage. Different ones every time, too.

Is this common? How have others (or have they) done this successfully?

are you using ZDoom? IF so, here is how i would do it:
I would put the barrels on the cacos so they dont move. Then, with this script:

script 1
{
thing_destroy(barrels tid);
}

and that will explode and awaken the cacos. :D

Nice idea, but I'm not using ZDoom. I've included a mapinfo lump for ZDoom users, but I'm still going for vanilla compatiblity. I could put the barrels on the cacos, but that would practically kill the cacos when the other barrels teleport in to activate them.

Another idea is to have each of them in their own room detached from the rest of the map. Each Cacodemon would be in it's own room, and when a certain trigger is activated, it will open the doors and allow the Cacodemons to teleport to their own spot in that structure (behind a false wall to disguise the teleporter effect). Now, they would already be awake because the sectors that the Cacodemons are in will be part of a sector where some action would take place. I used this trick (without the false wall part though) in the Crypts remake for Heretic.

False wall?

Well, what you described is a standard teleport ambush kind of thing. I'd rather not have any teleport sounds at all, then the player knows something's up...

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed you said, make the holding sector's lines refrence the already-seen sector. Yep. I do that a lot already (in fact I find the "air duct" thing kinda n00bish)... but that's for teleport ambushes. :-/

A wall that can be passed through, but you can't see through it (map 28 has an example including the chaingun guys). Anyway, either the structure is far enough away where the teleport sounds aren't heard, or you could use the barrel explosions to mask the sound (they'd all teleport almost at the same time, so the teleport sounds won't last long anyway).

Ichor said:

A wall that can be passed through, but you can't see through it (map 28 has an example including the chaingun guys). Anyway, either the structure is far enough away where the teleport sounds aren't heard, or you could use the barrel explosions to mask the sound (they'd all teleport almost at the same time, so the teleport sounds won't last long anyway).

is that barrels o fun? I didnt find any fake walls last time i playedd it.

Nope. It's Spirit World, right around where you find the yellow key. In that long hallway are a few chaingun guys, an Arachnotron, and a plasmagun, all hidden behind false walls.

Well... first of all, I don't remember those chaingunners teleporting. I'd fire in there and kill them before they could, though...

I guess it'd be useful to say that the main room in this level is a "destroyed" version of an earlier level, and that the cacos are in a big piece of wreckage on the northeastern side of the room. On the other side is a pile of rubble that you climb to get the key, and there's the activating line. From the key to the edge of the caco pen is about 1000 units... but there's not much in between, so it seems to me one could hear teleport sounds, no matter how hidden in barrel sounds... :-/

I don't know. A thousand units is quite far away. Who knows, there may be no sound at all from that distance. If there is any, it may be faint enough to overlook if you're busy fighting something else.