Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Disorder

Too scary? / Non stop cutscene gore movie

1. I might sound like a wuss, but I just watched a couple of gameplay movies taken from the leaked alpha, and as I cranked up the volume I got quite scared. The room I'm sitting in is dark and I'm home alone at the moment. Watching Doom 3 footage was not a good idea. It's an audio/visual nightmare. Do some of you worry that the game might actually become too scary? Some other videogames actually succeeded in making me feel like using cheats to feel less fear. I know it would ruin the whole experience so I won't do that when playing Doom 3. I know I'm gonna play it no matter what, but having near death experiences while playing videogames might not be too healthy.

2. When watching those cutscenes, I got an idea. I'm probably not the first, since several captured videogame movies are out there, I believe. But wouldn't the Doom 3 engine be one of the best, if not the best engine out there to make a videogame horrormovie, containing nothing but non stop cutscenes? Do you have any great ideas for such a movie?

I might not have brought up anything to argue about, but I'd love to hear about your ideas on these two points.

Disorder said:

Such as?

Well I have some ideas for movies which could also be done with the Doom3 engine. I'm not going to spill it yet, though. I'll be writing a script sometime soon.

The only thing that crossed my mind is that if a DOOM movie were made the id guys should be involved; I have no doubt the artists could manage with the design and Carmack could oversee the technical aspects, possibly introducing some of his coding ability or even an enhanced form of the game engine specifically designed for the task (the movie.) That is, DOOM 3 is a game before anything (well, sort of; game in the 21st century sense) but I'm sure the id guys are capable enough to get involved in a motion picture project.

1. Good

2.I had a dream the other night of there being a cut scene where there's hundreds of zombies in a conga(sp?) line. That's be a cool beginning to a horror movie.

It's not difficult to make a game scary IMO. Heck I still find the oridinal Dooms scary at times, unlike a lot of ppl here I don't have the maps and enemy locations memorized. I can't even imagine the kind of tension Doom3 will have, let's just say I'll be buying new underwear in bulk before the game comes out.

Fountainhead Entertainment, the company where John Carmack's wife Katherine Anna Kang works, has always had a close relationship with id and has been doing machinima work with the Quake III Arena engine. I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up doing something with the Doom III technology - and if they don't, there's a whole machinima community out there that will.

Sounds great. Hopefully someone with lots of experience using Machinima will do a movie based on Night of the living dead. Think about the lighting possibilities.

1. Don't buy the game.

Seriously, if you don't want to be scared; buy HL2. The whole point with Doom3 is to scare you half to death. If you don't like horror movies, you won't like this.

2. GameArena: Will we see extended support in the Doom 3 engine for multiplayer for mods and future titles?

Todd Hollenshead: The mod guys I think are really going to like it; and John Carmack has even said he's really excited to see what the amateur development community can come out with. Not even from a video game stand point, but from Machinima or what have you, Doom 3 is a tool for amateur developers to create stuff. Then the game as well; its really almost unprecedented in terms of the power it provides people to do things. Obviously we're doing a lot of cool stuff with Doom 3 the game, but now people are going to have something that approaches film quality in the level of visual presentation, on a real time basis. So if you're in film school and looking to make animated films, this is the cheapest package you're going to get when the game comes out - a lot cheaper than Maya.

Whole interview can be found here.

Trikk said:

1. Don't buy the game.

Seriously, if you don't want to be scared; buy HL2. The whole point with Doom3 is to scare you half to death. If you don't like horror movies, you won't like this.

I love horrormovies. And I love being scared. Really, I'm looking forward to playing the game, despite knowing that I'll be scared to death. I get a kick out of it.

Hl2... pfft.. I have no idea why people are so excited about that... I think doom 3 will kill it.. Half life 2 looks so dull an empty compared to doom3. Doom will have that nice scary look to it that im looking for.. I think it will be perfect for mods too.. :D

Shaviro said:

Well I have some ideas for movies which could also be done with the Doom3 engine. I'm not going to spill it yet, though. I'll be writing a script sometime soon.

Count me in. Btw, I'll burn dei very soon... still don't have internet home :/

dEaThMaStEr said:

Hl2... pfft.. I have no idea why people are so excited about that... I think doom 3 will kill it.. Half life 2 looks so dull an empty compared to doom3. Doom will have that nice scary look to it that im looking for.. I think it will be perfect for mods too.. :D

One word: R.

The kids and teens will play HL2 like crazy, but I doubt Doom3 will cater to the people with the "I can win" attitude that most people have today. Also, Counter-Strike and TF2.

Julian said:

Count me in. Btw, I'll burn dei very soon... still don't have internet home :/

Yay! We'll walk together all the way to the top1 ;)
I'm looking forward to the dei thing!

dEaThMaStEr said:

If you ask me, I think they'll both be fun to play, and both will have some kickass mods. If you take sides you'll just be missing out.

Job said:
The only game that can adequately scare me is Fatal Frame.

Hopefully the second one (which is in the works) will be just as good... if not better.

EllipsusD said:

Hopefully the second one (which is in the works) will be just as good... if not better.

At videogames.com they said that Spielberg and some other guy are working on the Fatal Frame movie. It looks like the project is attracting some high-profile attention. It should be pretty neat. But yeah, I can't wait for the 2nd one to come out -- so close, too...this November...mmmm.

oh, i want to play hl2 and it looks fun, really fun, but i think doom 3 will be better.. and sometimes you find the occasional hl2 fan bashin doom 3.. bah.. they'll see.. :D

Disorder said:

. . . Some other videogames actually succeeded in making me feel like using cheats to feel less fear. I know it would ruin the whole experience so I won't do that when playing Doom 3.

I used cheats with the alpha and it still scared the piss outta me. Lousy Pinkie.... and me stupid enough to come a little to close... lousey "notarget" command not working properly. Heh, that's the worse, you think they can see you, but do to it being an alpha or something, they can! mwaaahaaa!

Scabbed Angel said:

I used cheats with the alpha and it still scared the piss outta me. Lousy Pinkie.... and me stupid enough to come a little to close... lousey "notarget" command not working properly. Heh, that's the worse, you think they can see you, but do to it being an alpha or something, they can! mwaaahaaa!

Several of the enemies in the alpha can't see you anyway. :P

Well the thing is youve gotta realize your playing a game. Doom is not REAL. So i dont think we should bother with worrying about whether or not its too real. It isnt ;)

Lucifer said:

Uhh.. no.

Wow nice.. another fetal abortion of a post has crawled onto this forum.. Why dont you come back a few years wiser and post something more than a hur hur post and explain YOUR OPINION!

@Orginal Idea.
I believe you can pull that off, but a good old render farming CGI would work best.

I don't really think i'll be scared so much as not being able to play the game, as demons aren't overly scary for me.

Ghosts however.. always been a huge fear for me.
I totally freaked out playing clive barker's undying. At one point I nearly threw up, not because of grossness, just pure ph34r.
H8 TEH GHOSTEZ