Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

I hope that the A.I. is gonna be better

I hope that DOOM 3's AI are gonna be better than regular DOOM. "Zig zag, stop, attack, repeat" sucks.

Damn you, of course it will. They still have Jean Paul, you know, the guy that made Q3A bots.

It's not that hard to do something cool. Since they don't need team cooperation, tactical placement, sniping AI and all that realistic shooters-based features, it's pretty obvious that we should see some pretty good animal like behavior.

So? Bear in mind that now they're faster, have more HP, and generally make more damage.

Don't compare bots with single player AI, I was just stating that there's a guy in there that knows about this stuff.

Well zig zag blah is basically all a hellspawn can comprehend.So I guess the A.I. will kick ass.

I still don't like that in original doom you can turn on iddqd, take a chainsaw and just stand there in the middle of the room holding down the fire key. Eventually all monsters die.

True. I dont want the AI to be "great", but prehaps some things should change. Here are a few:

Chainsaw. When you pull out the chainsaw, and stand there while demons and zombies just walk into you, perhaps they should "run" away, or go back to a safe distance and use prijectiles {not to mention you should have a gassoline pick up for the chainsaw.}

Getting stuck behind things. In most games, if you just simply walk behind a small object, the monster will keep trying to wlk through it. The AI should map out the area and direct the monster towards you when you are behind simple object. Its kinda stupid, in Doom i'll stand on one side of the candle, while the imp keeps walking into it, firing at absolutely nothing. This needs some tweaking.

Monsters fighting one another. What, did I type that? Oops. HELL YEAH! I love when monsters fight each other!

Groups of fiends. If there are a lot of monsters in one area, the AI should create a trap or formation, instead of the monsters randomly shooting everywhere, hitting each other, while you just stand back and watch.

I hope that the A.I. is gonna be better

I Don't.

Thats because if the A.I. was better that would mean you would have to be a GOOD player to survive w/o cheats.

I think that certain enemies, like demons, should be lumbering idiots. But there should also be some skinny evil thing that can flip off walls, laugh at you and ride your rockets back at you. That'd be fun!

Chainsaw. When you pull out the chainsaw, and stand there while demons and zombies just walk into you, perhaps they should "run" away, or go back to a safe distance and use prijectiles {not to mention you should have a gassoline pick up for the chainsaw.}...

But in movies like "Braindead" the zombies never react defensiv, they just looked a bit confused when the guy came with the lawn mower. That is typical zombie behaviour IMO.

Monsters fighting one another. What, did I type that? Oops. HELL YEAH! I love when monsters fight each other!

There is a lot you can do with that. It helps create character for the monsters, for example mechanoid monsters a la arachnotron and bull demons hate each other, zombies are disliked by everyone, hell barons are highly respected by the other demons etc.
And the possibility to make the monsters fight against each other can involve special strategies in certain "tricks and traps" scenarios.

Damn you, of course it will. They still have Jean Paul, you know, the guy that made Q3A bots.

HHAHAHA!
God damn the Q3 bots blow..

the AI can use quite an improvement....i think that they should be able to detect you as u are moving around...not like in the previous doom when u triggered a monster pen and they would just sit there with thumbs up there asses till u walked right by and directly infront of them...

The zombies should still be pretty dumb as they're, well, partially rotted in the head, but yes, the demons should be smarter. All should be able to 'hear' things like footsteps (moreso if you run), and all monsters too should have a distinct walk/run, maybe even a stalk for critters who can (hoofed things shouldn't, those things make a bloody lot of noise), like imps and bulldog demons. Anyone who's played Carnivores (about 1 other person in the world -_-) should know what I'm talking about... and although unlikely to be included, maybe for some areas with a constant airflow or outside, have distinct wind directions (use grass/wires/rope/ect as signals?) which make it easier to sneak up on demons.... or the demons sneak up on you. Bah, if it's gonna look realistic, then why not have more little touches of realism too?

They should act more natural. If you sneaked past them behind their back, maybe they'd hear something, and turn around to check... during that time, you might have managed to get behind a corner. Some monsters might be able to smell you and know you're there... others might be a little smart and go to the place they think they heard you and try finding you from there... others would be dumb, give up, and proceed doing whatever they were doing. Some would be able to watch other monsters run around looking for something and be smart enough to join them in the search. Others might even yell out to others in their language that he thinks someone's there.

So you're walking around, all out of ammo.. you step on something that breaks and makes a sound while you are sneaking past a couple of shoutgun guys (if they are in the game) behind their backs. They hear it, and one of them turns their head to look, but you manage to sneak around the corner first. One of the guys moves towards the corner where you're standing, he walks around it, finds you, looks a bit surprised maybe, and shouts at the other guy for assistance... so you can either run away or try to take his shotgun and shoot the other guy. That'd be pretty damn cool, no?

All of the monsters in doom uses the smell variant to some degree. They always know where you are and like an idiot, they try to walk through walls to get there.

Yeah, like the scent thing I talked about ^_^. Woo man, we're getting into a Metal Gear Solid-ish detail here... but in a good way! Intelligent AI that can talk to each other to a point.... then the dumb zombie AI. If they're actually that smart in the game, I'm dead... x_x

not to mention you should have a gassoline pick up for the chainsaw

FUCK YOU AND DIE!!!

/me stabs Jeremy in the eye with Keanu Reeves

I still don't like that in original doom you can turn on iddqd, take a chainsaw and just stand there in the middle of the room holding down the fire key. Eventually all monsters die.

Here's an idea: Don't use IDDQD. =)

Do you think them being stronger or faster has anything to do with there muscles in this place?

Do you think thats air you're breathing?

[/quote]I hate this place. This zoo, this prison, this... reality, whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I can taste your stench, and every time I do I fear that I've somehow been infected by it. It's repulsive, isn't it ?[/quote]Don't tempt me to start the Matrix quotes. We'll be here till sunrise (or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first).

I hope that DOOM 3's AI are gonna be better than regular DOOM. "Zig zag, stop, attack, repeat" sucks.

They have to be...even Quake 2 had better A.I. (Marginally)...as long as the A.I. in Doom3 is equal to or better than that of half-life...that was some awesome A.I.
I once made a level in a huge warehouse, filled it with monsters, grunts and barnies...and just sat back to watch...each time there was a different outcome.

Yes, my bad...but the AI was pretty beefed up. On most other games before it, monsters were all berzerk, hardly ever running from battle. But in Half-Life, they ran from battle, and even ducked behing obstacles.

Hell i think that half-life had better AI than quake 3 for chrissake....quake 3 wasnt very good at all...i think Doom 3's is definately going to be best out for a while tho...i hope ^^