Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Twiztid

somthin that might be fun

Sadly it hasn't been removed, though it doesn't work if the syntax is wrong, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Anyway, wasn't the guy just asking a technical question about how something might be done?

yeah. Explain it a bit more, im sure it possible in ZDoom :P

Well i read in the Skulltag forum and it sounded like fun to try this.

Every time a player on a team scores a kill, a step raises up from the floor in his team's base. This repeats until a stairway is created, where the team can now access a room filled with special powerups, sniper positions, trap switches, alternate routes, etc.

And i dont have screenshots or anything.

This would be a pretty cool variety on Capture the Flag. It would be like a deathmatch version... after a certain number of kills the Capture point for the team would be open, while the flag is available the whole time. So both teams would try and outfrag the others so they can score first. I'd be willing to play it, anyway.

This is very possible with Skulltag. You can tag scripts as a DEATH type, so they activate whenever a player dies. So, in that script, you could figure out which team the dying player is on, and then increment a global variable that keeps track of how many times players of a certain team have died. When that reaches a certain number, you can have the flag chamber open up, or whatever you want to do.

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, BTW :)

Twiztid said:

What editor could i use to make maps with skulltag?
already tried deepsea.

I'll be releasing an editing package after I'm done with 95d. But, if you want to use DeepSea to do a Skulltag map right now, talk to BlackFish, or view this.

Twiztid said:

Every time a player on a team scores a kill, a step raises up from the floor in his team's base. This repeats until a stairway is created, where the team can now access a room filled with special powerups, sniper positions, trap switches, alternate routes, etc.

It does sound quite cool, and the kind of thing that would feel like a good reward, but if you look at it from another point of view (at least from the information given) it could be described a little like this...

You play a team game. The team that is already doing best, and is wiping the floor with the other team eventually has so many kills that they get rewarded with powerup Nirvana and a whole host of shortcuts and extra advantages that ensure their already powerful domination of the map is now totally unassailable. The opposing team can now assume the role of frustrated cannon fodder, disadvantaged by the other team's access to the areas of the map, out classed, out gunned, out power-upped.

The map would have to be very well constructed and the teams very well matched before a game in a level using these principles could be fun for all the players.

well, if you made it so it checked how many kills each team gets before a step is raised... :D

Alternatively, temporary access could be given when the team had scored a certain amount of frags in a certain amount of time. This way it isn't quite as dependent on team skill, since in many team games both teams will have had some kind of rampage before the end. If access was for, say 30 seconds, it would be like a powerup for the whole team.

Nanami said:

Or reverse it so the team that's doing BAD gets steps up to powerups.

That's bad too, then you do not frag teh others cause they would get stronger
o_O

Hirogen2 said:

That's bad too, then you do not frag teh others cause they would get stronger
o_O

Well it's a balancing thing. Think of it this way:

If the team that gets more frags gets items, it ends up this way:

Team A has 19 frags.
Team B has 4 frags.
Team A gets another frag and gets new powerups.
Ten minutes later:
Team A has 37 frags.
Team B has 5 frags.

On the other hand, if the team that's losing gets the powerups:

Team A has 19 frags.
Team B has 4 frags.
Team A gets another frag, and Team B gets the powerups.
Ten minutes later:
Team A has 24 frags.
Team B has 11 frags.

It's a sort of "balancing" thing, in case one team is way better than the other.

OK so now that I can edit with Skulltag (finally) how could i do it? Would it have to be done with scripts because i have no experiance with scripting at all.

Well, probably something like this:

int BlueSteps;
int RedSteps;

script 99 DEATH
{
 if (PlayerTeam() == TEAM_BLUE)
 {
  Floor_RaiseByValue(RedSteps,16,16*RedSteps);
  RedSteps++;
 }
 else
 {
  Floor_RaiseByValue(BlueSteps+16,16,16*BlueSteps);
  BlueSteps++;
 }
}
I didn't test it or anything but that'll probably work. Just make sure you make some sectors tagged right so they'll raise when the script tells them to.

You'd probably want to add an error trap because in that example, if you kill enough blue people, it'll start raising their steps, which is a bad thing of course.