Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cyber-menace

Stupid Windows

I hate Windows. It screwed up my computer big time with one of its good old fashioned Windows brand errors. This time it's a protection error. How did it get there you may ask? My stupid brother. No I gotta format my computer. The only reason I can use it right now is because of Linux... adn I haven't had a error yet... I hate losing a good chunk of my files... Who else has had this kind of problem before?

it took you this long to realize windows is stupid? so much so that you made two identical threads?

Windows is only as stupid as its users. If a user wishes to use Windows (any), it is their responsibility to apply patches, use only trustworthy/reputable software, maintain security.

Seph, if you're in XP or 2K, get your brother an account with NO PRIVELEGES. If you're in Win98, use TweakUI to lock down as much as you can and then look for registry hacks to hide things like control panel (or individual options in it).

yes, that is what i do. my normal win2000 account is restricted. however i only use win2k anymore for a few games and kazaa. i use linux most of the time and have been getting into openBSD and a few other open OS's.

i got yelled at during work for reseting a win NT system. well funny was i had gotten a kernle32(or what everNT calls it) error, so it needed to be reset. caused no problems, besides u should reset it from time to time anyways.

windowsXP has given me the most issues. however works great once u tweak it. even worse is when u use a restore disk, that comes with 90% of the systems out there

Sephiroth said:

i got yelled at during work for reseting a win NT system. well funny was i had gotten a kernle32(or what everNT calls it) error, so it needed to be reset. caused no problems, besides u should reset it from time to time anyways.

what

Ultraviolet said:

Windows is only as stupid as its users.

A-...FUCKING-...MEN!!!!!!

Now you've got me started...

Probably one of my biggest pet peeves in the world is when all of these computer "illiterate" fucks start jumping up and down, kicking and screaming complaing about "the stupid computer doesn't like me or something!" The worst part about that is that they're SERIOUS when they say it!

Keep in mind that these are the mainstream type of people who are/were the "popular" people in high school that are only into the latest "fads" and anything so much as remotely technological in nature that's not a sole entertainment device is "for those faggot nerds only". Also keep in mind that these exact same people tend to be the ones who know of the more pointless web sites on the 'net and seemingly spend more time on it than people like us do...and they have the nerve to say we have no life...

In short, they have no idea that the computer only does what it's told to do (hence programming), and as stated above have no idea as to the concept of bugs and bug fixes/patches.

They're the same kind of people that are mentioned in the thread here about the SA article on teen forums.

BTW, sorry if this has caused any stir, but this was not directed to anyone specific on the board.

What? I thought computers operated on ropes and pulleys. I'm gonna get a fairly recent Athlon XP cuz' it uses steel cables instead of hemp ropes, at least, that's what auxois told me.

In 8 years of using Windows I've never had anything so major that it caused me to lose a lot of data or force me to reinstall a driver or anything more important than that. 99% of problems I've had have been due to bugs in other software and 1% was a serious full-on failure of a hard drive.

Of course I've had a lot of crashes, 98se was susceptible to active desktop failure and didn't have decent enough crash protection. XP has much better crash isolation and recovery and the only problems I've had on this new machine are lock-ups due to heat and random restarts due to doom sourceports, and Legacy bumfucking my openGL drivers. But Windows, no problem, aside from the fact that WMP 9 often gets unresponsive when looping or performing other functions, but then that's additional software anyway.

Heh I lost more data on Windows(98) than on Linux, thanks to reiserfs in the
latter.
Five to go, but unfortunately most of us /HAVE/ to use Windows because all the
f'in software is only written for that. Just take 90% of all Doom editing
tools.

hardware failer hasn't really been an issue for me. however i do try to keep upto date.

another thing, and il'' quote this old guy at work for it "Whats the deal with all this mickey mouse bullshit?"
what he was talking about was all the graphic fancy bullshit, animated icons menus and such. i have to agree. that stuff eats memory and can make a system less stable. i have always disabled, and unistalled if possible, that stuff. active desktop is by far one that will cause issues. simply put dont use that shit.
also icons in the lower right corner, the system tray, it should be mostly empty.

you dont need AIM, realplayer and MSN down there, that stuff eats memory and runs inthe background. it can also creat security issues. a woman i knew had half of the screen filled on the bottom. all that should be there is the sound, anti-virus and firewall (if u use)

stuff to unistall
this is a list of thing giveing me issue sin windows.

microsoft messenger, get rid of it

realplayer, worthless and it sucks. just use the media player that comes with windows. or winamp

AOL, dont have or use AOL? get rid of it. Use AOL? get a new ISP

ICQ, dont use. unless u like spam

worthless mickey mouse bullshit, bonzi buddy, and stuff like that. get rid of it. turn all fancy graphics off.

gator, hotbar and other adware/spyware. tricky and dangerous to a system. get rid of it now!

that is all basic stuff, and i am sure 85% of u already know that

Sephiroth said:

you dont need AIM, realplayer and MSN down there, that stuff eats memory and runs inthe background. it can also creat security issues. a woman i knew had half of the screen filled on the bottom. all that should be there is the sound, anti-virus and firewall (if u use)

You may want to include any IME (VERY imporant, at least for me), network connection notifiation (important at times), and the clock.

MaTT [TiK] said:
Dial-up Networking monitor

Not dial-up, just nic connection. I need it here at work. And IME, btw, is Input Method Editor. For when I type in Japanese.

Yeah, whatever, I'm just used to calling it that cos it's the same program.

AIM works fine..
ICQ lite is not bloated and works fine..
If you dont like having mutiple clients open then use trillian or its equivenlant.. Unless your running on some poo dunk 486/x86 machine then you will not have a problem with AIM or any other client running.

And you dont have to have the AOL isp to run the AIM messanger.

Advisment, downloading Adaware and Spybot.. run then both.. one can pick up the stuff the other has missed..

Have a good hardware/ or software firewall if you have broadband..

Epyo said:

There's something wrong with your name, Lament.

He has the æ special Character Dee-Lee on where his a's and e's are in his name. :D

I've been using various forms of Windows for years and I've never had any serious problems with it. It does everything I need it to do so I've no need to change to Linux or anything.