Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XDelusion

I just met Tom Savini

For those who do not know or do not follow classic horror (pre- I know what you did last summer crap), he is the effects artist behind the early Friday The 13th Series, Dawn Of The Dead, Day Of The Dead, Night Of The Living Dead remake, Martin, and actor in many other films including Dusk Till Dawn, and the soon to be filmed remake of 70's classic Dawn Of The Dead. He was at a local haunted house up in Michigan for some reason, and was handing out autographs and what not. Fortunatly for me, everyone there was too young to know who the hell he was, so I got to hang out with him for about an hour or two and talk some shit.

I was more nervous than I expected and froze up a lot, but I did manage to ask him about George Romero's Night Of The Living Dead 4 (Twilight Of The Dead?), and he said the script is written, and they are merely waiting to shoot the film. Tom no longer does effects, but will of course be supervising his students for the effects, and he will be taking a role (once again) in the film. Unfortunatly I froze, and totally forgot to ask him to leak some details about the film, but at least we know for sure that the master of Zombie flicks is back! :)

man, that's fucking awesome.

I would have asked him what sort of research he does for that line of work... I mean, does he actually study decaying corpses and real-life full torso explosions?

There were soooo many things I had in mind about asking him, but when I got there, I totally froze. :/ It was like meeting a god to me.

I do know that Clive Barker has watched an autopsy to give him a better idea of what a de-fleshed face and what not looks like. Infact the guy who was cutting the face, cut a strip across the fore head (on purpose) which caused the eyes to pop open, totally freaking out Barker in the act. :)

If you pick up a copy of Fangoria magazine, there is usually an add in the back page about Savini's school of special effects over in Penn state. Right next door he has a haunted house set up as well, which according to him, is pretty kool. Oh ya, and he said that if you want to visit the school for a day and follow the students through the classes you can set up an appointment and do so for free. Tom does not teach there, but does seminars, and stops in about every two weeks to make sure everything is going well. My girl friend and I are going to head over there later this month for the Haunted House, and if we can get in, to visit the school for a day. We're not going into special effects, but film rather. Regardless I am VERY curious what goes on there! :)

Awesome. I just love that part on Day of the Dead where the jackass gets ripped in half in the end. It was so awesome and realistic.

Choke on em' Choke on em'!

Ya who can forget. Here's a little information about that sceen too. By the time they had reached it they had ran out of latex, so they had to run to a local meat market to try to buy some pig guts, and all they had left was some guts that were about a week old, and were spoiling. So what you are looking at are actors actually putting there mouths and faces on REAL old pig guts. According to Fango, a lot of the actors vomitted after shooting the scene. :)