Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Most Difficult Map You Ever Played

OK, the Go 2 It thread got me to thinking, I know Go 2 It is a pretty difficult map, but I know there are far far worse out there. What's the all around most difficult map (or maps) you've played so far?

Julian said:

E1M1. My god, my skill is not enough.

lol.
(Quit hogging dei already ;))

and on topic...nuts3.wad perhaps?

Shaviro said:

lol.
(Quit hogging dei already ;))

and on topic...nuts3.wad perhaps?

I have Dei, Maonth is Trapped and Hell Gates mastered. Should burn them shortly so that I can upload them somewhere.

Julian said:

I have Dei, Maonth is Trapped and Hell Gates mastered. Should burn them shortly so that I can upload them somewhere.

Yes! Hurry up :P

For a few of my fav "most difficult" maps:

HR Map22
Av map13/14
Av map29
Scythe map30

(I will probaly think of more later)

For me it has to be a large chunk of the AV maps, and of course, the infamous hr2 map09.

Heh, nuts3.wad was easy (as long as you set "Actors are infinitely tall" to "No"). Well, easy-ish. :p [Edit: if anyone really wants to watch this demo, you'll need to use 2.0.47 - it desynchs near the end of the archie jump to the exit with 2.0.47i.]

Most difficult? Depends on the settings used, I suppose. The most difficult I attempted and was eventually successful with was System Vices Map05 on NM.

I guess you really have in mind "UV from pistol start - just reach the exit". HR2 maps 15 and 32 are swines in that respect, as of course are some of the old favourites from HR. Equinox map12 is very tough too (though I imagine it was not designed to be played from a pistol start).

And then there are plenty of maps I tried and gave up on - hard to say how difficult some of them were, since I may just have needed to hit upon the right ideas, and would then have seen that they were really quite easy (or not, as the case may be). One that springs to mind is The Zombie Heart of Doom (zomheart.wad), but that one isn't available for download. :(

I'll post again if I recall any truly ass-kicking classics of this type.

A lot of the Final Doom maps were nasty. But no names come to mind.

well, there is difficult, then there is 'impossible'.
I think hr24 is a good example of a very difficult map that is a good test of skill.
for example: I recently tried the DeathRevealed maps... map05 was insanely hard. too hard to ever be considered fun without cheating.
(map02 was great fun though!)
so I think the key is making hard maps that are still fun to play (ala AV or HR2 or eaXXXX maps)

oneweek.wad Map 11 anyone?
Ryback's map 11, UV max Fast Demo @ 72:17 is more than just a little bit amazing!

There are several astonishing demos of that map at the DSDA archives by Eric and Ryback that I know of. Map 11 is way to hard for the likes of me.

Those demos are well worth watching.

/me downloads oneweek
EDIT: Just had a good playthrough, and the map I spent the most time with was map11. My God that was hard.

Fragport map32 gave me a run for my money. But I dunno if I would call it the most difficult. I'd have to say... Alien Vendetta... Dark Dome. ARGH! I at least considered the rest of it beatable if I took my time, planned it out, etc. etc... Dark Dome was just too much! I WAS SAFE NOWHERE!!!

Any slige map with default settings. To a new or partly-experienced Doomer, it's hard. To me, it's 'pfft, gimme something harder'.

Most of those flashy zdoom wads with tons of scripting ect, such as dark 7 or whatever it was called

Or maybe i should just grudgingly step down from UV XD

Ah well, i find the eternal doom ones stupdily hard, not cause of the monsters, but because you never know where to go, having to find secrets just to exit the level is usually considered to be the sign of a lame map, but when team TNT does it its considered genius XD

for me the hardest map i found it's hr24 ... you either do it perfect or u don't and if there is anyone that finnished it the first time ... he's a liar

player said:

one i like is bnbeyond.wad on UV man its hard, lots of enemys but not much ammo

Yep, that's one of my old favorites, too - but I used to play it on HMP 'cause the author stated loud and clear:

Episode and Level # : E2M1
Single Player : Yeah, but only if your psychotic.

Then Maikl came around and did a max demo in just over an hour, heheh.

Just finished recording the Grandmaster maxrun of my hardest level last week. Started on it sometime in August, got so pissed had to get busy re-playing Half-Life for a month or so, then gritted my teeth and set upon the damned map with grim resolve not to play anything else until it was done.
The exit itself is not a problem, mind you. Things get a little more complicated when you shoot for 100%kills, aided by only one Invul, BFG+600 cells and eight -fast Cybers crowding you in a space the size of a gas station ...
Oh, what level? Keep an eye on DSDA for an update =).

Ct_red_pants said:

one of the later HR2.wadn maps... need I say more?

I just have to ask, just where do you get HR2? :P

And I nominate HR map 24 myself.

The Sky May Be.

It does have it's interesting points though. Once you learn how to use the rocket-launcher like weapon (it fires a sphere that shoots a stream of rockets aimed at yourself) right it is great fun to use.

But on the other hand I think that imps shooting BFG blasts is a bit too much. Your own BFG is also pretty worthless given the fairly high chance of making monsters immortal.

Also the minelayer is pretty unwieldy.

Scythe MAP32 wasn't exactly easy. 'Course, I've only cooped it.

Of course, it depends on how you approach the levels. If you try a speedrun, even the easiest levels become frighteningly difficult.