Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

A demo by me

Yeah, it's not much, but it does show that I can record a Doom demo :)
This was recorded with Doom.exe, so feel to watch it with Legacy or PrBoom or whatever.
Edit: I just did yet another demo on the same map, and it to was recorded with Doom.exe.

e1m4heh2.zip

Can't see it yet, but there still seem to be some issues with attachment moderation to sort out.

DooMBoy said:

This was recorded with Doom.exe, so feel to watch it with Legacy or PrBoom or whatever.

Er, that would be Eternity or Prboom, I suppose?

Well surely it can be watched with Legacy, as well as PrBoom or Eternity. Whatever floats your boat :)

Grazza said:

Yes, you could watch it, but it would desynch. :p

Like I said, whatever floats your boat :P

OK, it's available now...

Funny thing is, it doesn't desynch with Legacy (1.41 at least), despite Legacy having no real support for 1.9 demos. Weird - I suppose not enough happens in this demo that would cause a desynch, although it normally requires very little.

I suppose I owe DooMBoy an apology... but one should never assume that a Doom(2).exe demo will play back will Legacy, because in almost all cases you'll be disappointed.

Oh, and please put a textfile in your zips. Even something as basic as this would suffice:

DooMBoy
Doom.exe
Ultimate Doom E1M4
UV Speed/Pacifist 0:24

Legacy certainly does have some degree of v1.9 playback compatibility since, like Boom and unlike a bunch of other source mods, it plays back IWAD intro demos.

Well, it attempts to play them back - it understands the data format.

I've just watched Legacy 1.41 trying to play back the intro demos in Ultimate Doom. The 1st, 3rd and 4th desynch (the player dies at different times/places) - the 2nd seems to be OK (i.e. the player dies in the right place).

I see, I think it's the DOOM II ones that work all the way, though I may be wrong (it would make sense if they had taken more time to make them synch since DOOM II is the more popular of the two games.) But yeah, some v1.9 events surely aren't supported by Legacy, so the longer a recording, the more likely it will desynch. DooMBoy's is short, so it managed to synch all the way.

Eh... I fail it (well, so does Legacy here, kinda), they don't synch, and the Player even manages to die thrice in Map05.

DooMBoy said:

Yeah, it's not much, but it does show that I can record a Doom demo :)

Indeed you can :).

Nice run. I especially liked that yellow key jump!

Yeah, if I didn't take two tries to do and didn't flounder around at the switch besides the yellow key door it would've been better, and faster, but heh. :)

actually, now I think the sr50 trick path is easier... and that damn yellow door is infamous for not working because of the lines too close together. good job.