Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shapeless

No Red Concreate?

I haven't seen much concreate walls in D3, but shouldn't any concreate in Doom 3 be redish? I mean if they'er using the natural resources of Mars, for making Concreate. then is would be redish cause mars's soil is redish..right?

LOL

But you´re right, natural resource Mars concrete would probably look reddish. But they shouldn´t just make it that way if they don´t want it. Doom has certain themes, and reddish is more of a Strogg (Q2) world theme IMO. Doom bases have more brown and greenish concrete colors.

Tetzlaff said:

LOL

But you´re right, natural resource Mars concrete would probably look reddish. But they shouldn´t just make it that way if they don´t want it. Doom has certain themes, and reddish is more of a Strogg (Q2) world theme IMO. Doom bases have more brown and greenish concrete colors.

What? There's a huge amount of red in the Doom universe ;)

actually, the concrete wouldnt be red... From what ive been learned, the reason for mars being red is all the iron on the planet, and its really more of a rust... So, if you were making concrete out of that soil, you'd probably be sure to extract that.. Also, regardless of what it is really, if something red is in it, its a substance foreign to the standard makings of concrete, and you dont want that, so they would extract it. And i think UAC would be quite capable of that if they got these weird ass portals.. :D

Shapeless said:

I mean if they'er using the natural resources of Mars, for making Concreate.

Well, that's a big if. They may be shipping all the materials for making concrete to mars.

Why would they do this? It's obvious. Some admin somewhere decided the most efficient way to do things was to give the concreate (sic) contract to "Jim's cheap and cheerful concreate co." However, Jim didn't price for shipping, only supply and manpower. Jim supplies the concreate on Earth and hires a squad of men who get transported to Mars, but the UAC get landed with the responsibility of getting the concreate to Mars. Rather than void the contract with Jim by refusing the concreate he has supplied - (Jim after all, hasn't actually done anything wrong), the UAC go to vast expense and inconvenience to put a new concreate transport contract out to tender. By sheer co-incidence, this goes to the "Jim's brother's cheap and cheerful interplanetary shipping co."

Don't laugh, after a few years working in the contracting service industry for North Sea oil installations (as I did some time ago), I was amazed how often something like that happens.

Or maybe the UAC simply invented concreate bleech because they did a personnel survey and found people worked more efficiently when surrounded by grey, rather than orangy-red walls.

I want to see red dust swirling around in the base at the appropriate spots.

Sure they could probably filter the red like, they can filter the green out of glass. But that would be more costly therefore they wouldn't go through the trouble just to feel more at home.

And why would they need to extract it? it wouln't make it weaker. as long as the substance is persistant to a certain degree of thickness it wouln't crack. did you know there's differnet kinds of Concreate? the really rustic type has bits of rock in it. And I've even seen seashells in concreate sidewalks at florida. Ya so it would have a redish heu due to the terrain.

well, like i said, from what ive heard, the red is from rusted iron.. I dont know if rusty metal all through your walls would exactly be the best idea for support.. I mean, its not gonna hold too well when a portion of the wall is slowly rusting away, and will eventually just flake off like dust.. :S

Meh it can be whatever color it wants to be I'll trust ID's judgement that they will keep the colors looking right. Im hopeing that in hell that we see alot of rotting flesh and green marble walls though.

Building structures on Mars from native materials would probably be done by excavating caves or ditches and covering them with simple bricks made from the martian soil. These subsurface rooms would then be covered by at least 10 feet or so of soil so that when they were pressurized to livable conditions, they would not explode from the pressure inequality. The insides would be sealed with a thin plastic liner or sprayable sealant to prevent air leakage.

Martian soil contains large quantities of calcium and sulfur, much of which exists in the form of gypsum. Gypsum can be used to make plaster, and when mixed with mortar (made out of raw soil), conventional Portland cement can be made, which has a wide variety of construction uses.

So basically, yes, any structure built on Mars from the materials at hand would almost certainly be red.

Job said:

I want to see red dust swirling around in the base at the appropriate spots.

This idea really appeals to me. Appeals a rather inordinate amount actually, just seems extremely atmospheric in my mind.

you know know that I think of it, there shouldn't even be rust on those concreate walls. I've seen a slight bit of rust on real interior concreate walls. but that's cuase when it was beingu built there was no ceiling and the rain caused the steel bits to rust over the walls...does it rain on mars?

It doesn't matter at all.

I mean, the avarage gamer doesn't give a hoot if the concrete walls in the UAC facility are red or not, they just expect a cool-looking sci-fi environment and that's exactly what they get.

I sure won't give a damn if id hasn't got every single little detail (such as red concrete) right, I'd rather give a damn if the surroundings look cool and imaginative, not to mention if the gameplay rocks or not, because those factoers are what's important to the game.

And btw, I haven't seen much concrete in any of the D3 screenies and even in those where there are surfaces that look concrete'ish, how can we be sure if they are made of concrete?

Surely they'd use better materials in the future than plain concrete.

(Note: I looked up the word "concrete" in my English English dictionary just to verify the spelling :-P)

That's true, who want's to look at pink concrete walls lol. not very scary.

there's evidence of concrete in the latest screen with the hell knight. See the skylight?, that testure with the installation wole's and the uac logo. And in the mac presentation there's more concrete.

Theyd'd use concrete..you'd be surrprised as to how effective concrete is even in the future.

now someone photoshop an image of doom 3 with pink concrete walls:)